IGNORED

Bulb Replacement For R1150RT Fog Lamps???

Motors

The fog lamps are the two smaller bulbs (H3's) on the outside edges of the headlight housing. Mine are operational, however, the Motor is completely torn down for some other light work and I wondered if something in the 100W range could replace the current 50W without any problems???? The wire and switches look stout enough. Just wondered if anyone had any experience with these????

Thanks a bunch.

Motors

I doubt that you would not, not have problems doing this.

My relay & its socket suffered heat damage from the stock bulbs.

This on an 03 rt.

You may consider installing HID as you get 3 x the light output with a substantial reduction of power (amperage) input.

I used the Oshram amber bulbs for the fog lights. I never turn them off, and they have made a big difference in traffic. They put out slightly more light that the original bulbs.

100 watt bulbs will fry your wiring

I used the Oshram amber bulbs for the fog lights. I never turn them off, and they have made a big difference in traffic. They put out slightly more light that the original bulbs.

100 watt bulbs will fry your wiring

+1 on this one! Don't put in higher wattage bulbs, you'll fry the wiring / housing.

If conspicuity is what you want. Put in the AMBER stock wattage bulbs. I use JDM yellow H3's from racinglab on the internet. They give other traffic a real advantage at indetifying you as a motorcycle approaching. I've had much fewer people pull out in front of me or turn left in front of me.

They make HID replacements for the H-3 bulbs? I'm running the 35 watt H-3's with the cee baily amber light protectors. They work great except for the short life span of the H-3's. Where did you find the HID replacemendts. I've been looking and found nothing so far.

The weakest link in the headlight wiring on the R1150RT is the ground circuit.

Two 100w lamps in the fogs plus 55w for the low beam plus 55w for the high beam will probably cause some problems with the stock wiring. One of the problems with the stock setup is the low beam is always on with the high beam and the fogs stay on when switching the high beam on.

On my 1150RT I used the Osram All Season H3 bulbs from Powerbulbs.com . I also installed a headlight modulator on the fog lights. The stock fog light switch still works and allows me to turn them on and off when I want. This allows me to get the attention I want in traffic without blinding/annoying people and the option to shut them off if I want on the open road. I also modulated the fogs so I can upgrade to HIDs in the low and high beams at a later date and still have the option of running a modulator.

And I installed a normally closed relay between the switch and the modulator on the fog lights. I use a lead from the high beam to trigger the relay which opens it and shuts off the fogs when I switch to the high beam so I don't have to do a two step routine to kill the fogs when I'm trying to see further down the road and then turn them back on when I switch back to the low beam. This also allows me to run a 100w bulb in the high beam giving me some punch down the road without worrying about the ground circuit. I have not had any heat or wiring related problems for the 80k miles I have used this setup.

Just as a side note, The relay I used for the fogs also has a normally open position that closes when it is triggered by the high beam. I use that to trigger a second relay that powers a set of Hella FF200 driving lights on a set of EMP mounts above the mirrors. This setup allows me to kill the driving lamps when I want from the fog light switch an the dash. It has sort of become a master auxiliary light switch. On and the fogs (only on with the low beam)and driving lamps (only on with the high beam) are on. Off and just the headlight is on without the fogs/driving lamps.

They make HID replacements for the H-3 bulbs? I'm running the 35 watt H-3's with the cee baily amber light protectors. They work great except for the short life span of the H-3's. Where did you find the HID replacemendts. I've been looking and found nothing so far.

http://www.vvme.com/ 42 dollars plus shipping.

Andy

The fog lamps are the two smaller bulbs (H3's) on the outside edges of the headlight housing. Mine are operational, however, the Motor is completely torn down for some other light work and I wondered if something in the 100W range could replace the current 50W without any problems???? The wire and switches look stout enough. Just wondered if anyone had any experience with these????

Thanks a bunch.

Motors

PIAAs.

Archived