IGNORED

09 RT's

Ron-M

I was in the Fort Myers area of Florida on business and not being able to pass up the oportunity to visit a BMW motorcycle dealership, I stopped into Gulf Coast Motorcycles of Fort Myers. They had two RT's on the floor and one looked just a little different than the other. Upon inquiring, I was told by the salesman that the particular RT had lowered suspension. According to this person, BMW had received so many complaints that their motorcycle seat height was to high, they started to produce certain models that had lowered suspension, thus lowering the seat height. This particular RT had the lowered suspension and a different seat configuration. The seat height was just a spec over 29 inches. Of course I had to sit on it and although it was on its center stand I could just about have my feet planted flat on the floor. On my 07 RT in a stationary position I am on the balls of my feet. The salesman said that of the six presold 09 RT's that came to the dealership, four were ordered with the lowered suspension. He also mentioned that there were other models that had the capability of being ordered with the lowered suspension as well. I had not heard this anywhere and I was quite surprised by the fact that apparently BMW Motorrad pays attention. Now if I could just get them to allow the BMW Zumo to have XM capabilties, I would be a happy person.

The seat is part of the Low package. I think they my sell more than a few of those seats if they're comfortable. ( I know, I doubt it too) :grin:

otherLowrt.jpg

Pat

Having ridden the '08 GS in both types-Low and standard, I would stick with the standard. The low is nice for putting your feet down flat at a stop, but the seat design locks you in a set position and you can't move around like the stock seat. For me this reason I would stay with the stock seat even if I can't get my feet flat.

Ron,

They are nice.

We've had several low frame versions on the floor when you were in. :Cool:

I've been one of the proponenets of low versions for years, although, obviously, I don't need one. :dopeslap::/

The Zumo issue is another glitch that may not be so easily solved.

I took my visiting friend from Texas to the BMW dealership yesterday. He is the guy who has been riding Harleys for years because he did not like the tall seating on the BMW line.

Arranged along one side of the showroom was the entire Low product line... A GS the 650, an 800, and two RT's. One with traction control and one without. Both the RT's had the one-piece seat which I admired and played with.

My friend could easily flatfoot all the models and I detected a BMW sort of twinkle in his eye... I say this move to offer lowered versions is a great move for BMW and I predict many sales as a result.

With regard to the one piece seat... we all agreed that you could easily fit one to a "regular" RT just by removing the carrier rack that now is used to hold the front of the pillion seat and the rear of the drivers seat. The one piece is lower than the old low seat, and feels like it might be comfortable.

Short Riders Rule!

That one piece low seat is not bad at all, and if you look at it they have riased th front of the pillion to fix the slide issue. I am waiting for a price on it as I type this.

Tim,

I just happened to stop by the shop today, Saturday, and I noticed there was one on the floor. I guess it had been awhile since I have had a visit.

Rickmoen,

BMW had Garmin make a Zumo to their spcifications and it did not include the XM radio capabilities that the regular Zumo has. I was not aware of this until after I bought the GXM30 antenna. Apparently when the two companies, XM and Sirius were competing, BMW had a contract with Sirius for their automobiles, so they would not allow XM firmware to be placed on their Zumo unit. BMW has not addressed the merger yet and allowed XM on their Zumo units.

Short Riders Rule!

Maybe, I will have to look at this new seat lower RT bike! :thumbsup: Richard

I sat on a new RT cruiser. Lower seat and suspension. It looks weird how low the bike is. The low low seat is a one piece seat for both riders and does not come heated. I saw a customer with 30 inch inseam sit on the bike. He liked it. The seat is ugly.

Seat Ugly? Beauty is in the eye of the Bee-Holder... The crowd that was looking at it when I was there all thought it was great.

Maybe if it was on a John Deere, it would look right. It's too cruiser looking for an RT.

I sat on the lowered version with the lowered seat. I might be ok with the lowered suspension without the lowered seat, it is that low. I like the low seat's looks also. Pretty much the only reason I let Bonbon the 97 Rt go was that I didn't feel comfortable with the seat height, and the fact that the engine would always turn off when I put the kick stand down, neutral or not. Now that both problems have gone away, and with lots more power also, I may buy in again. I felt SO comfortable sitting in that lowered saddle. Wonderful. Peg height may be another matter however.

Melanie, right?

Nope, it's a Happy Birthday joke. :grin: It is a long funny story, which maybe next can be shared next to a camp fire at BRR, or maybe at Ceder Key RTE.

Seat Ugly? Beauty is in the eye of the Bee-Holder... The crowd that was looking at it when I was there all thought it was great.

But what did you think of Annabelle the dealer dog? Isn't she a sweetie!?

Melanie, right?

Nope, it's a Happy Birthday joke. :grin: It is a long funny story, which maybe next can be shared next to a camp fire at BRR, or maybe at Ceder Key RTE.

Nope!!! That story can only be told in the month of October!

Melanie, right?

Nope!!! That story can only be told in the month of October!

John,

I know the story.

Who do you think prints the

This Bike Is Sold signs? :grin:

Besides, Melanie wants matching RT's, so we'd have to find another one in that color. :lurk:

Maybe Santa can... :eek:

But what did you think of Annabelle the dealer dog? Isn't she a sweetie!?

I like shop dogs... it gives anyplace a touch of class, but speaking frankly... a poodle at a bike shop? I like all dogs- with only a few exceptions. Given my druthers (since you have been to Appalachia recently you may know "druthers") BMW needs some other breed... maybe a Mastiff or a Rottweiler but a Poodle?.. sort of a mixed message. That dealer ought to consider a Pit Bull... sending the message that you may not be able to trust us*, but most customers know that already.

*With apologies to Spirit.

Poodles probably originated in Germany.

They were (up to 1945) on the limited list as acceptable dogs for the DDF (Dogs for Defense) use.

They can be ferocious, have been used in wars going back centuries.

Some don't like their appearance, but there are some who find Boxer engines a bit much for their taste also.

A local independents shop (long defunct) had a Rotty that kept watch over the shop and they never had anything go missing.

I'd vote for a Doberman.

Poodles may well have originated in Germany, but they are now known as "French Poodles", and have been given the title of a "Girly Dog". Yes, Yes, I know all about Standard Poodles, but to quote a line from "The Man who shot Liberty Valance":

"When the legend becomes fact, print the legend"

So, Girly dog they are for right or wrong.

Archived