R1200RT Battery Charge

jtb

I was told by my dealer that because of the the electronics on my new RT. I could not use the accessory plug on the bike to charge the battery like I do on my 2001 RT and I did on my 2001 LT. Do any of you know anything about this? eek.gif

Paul Mihalka

You can use a trickle charger using the accessory socket on your bike. You need a charger approved for the bike and the gel batteries. It has been written up but I don't have it on top right now. I am sure somebody will chime in with the right charger(s). The method is: turn on the ignition of the bike - plug the charger into the bike - plug the charger into AC (the wall) - switch off the bike. This way the bike electronics recognize that you attached a charger. It is described in the bike manual.

Paul said: You can use a trickle charger using the accessory socket on your bike. You need a charger approved for the bike and the gel batteries. It has been written up but I don't have it on top right now. I am sure somebody will chime in with the right charger(s). The method is: turn on the ignition of the bike - plug the charger into the bike - plug the charger into AC (the wall) - switch off the bike. This way the bike electronics recognize that you attached a charger. It is described in the bike manual.

This technique has worked for me on the R1200RT. I've been using the "BMW Advanced Battery Charing System - Programmed for BMW gel batteries" -

BMW Part Number: 99 99 0 005 656

(It's made by Deltran and looks like a Battery Tender.) I bought this unit about two years ago when I installed a gel battery in my 2000 K1200LT.

I used the technique described above by Paul (and also in the manual) after the bike sat for 4 weeks. The bike accepted a charge for about 45 or 50 minutes before disconnecting itself from the charger. Normally the the accessory outlet disconnects about five or ten minutes after the key is turned off, so this method seems to work. One caveat: I do not know if this charger is approved for the new CanBus bikes, but then no one seems to know what charger is "approved"??

It would be quite interesting to know if, when layed up long-term, the bike would reconnect itself to the charger each time the battery charge dropped below a certain level. Somehow I don't think the system is that smart, at least with this charger. For unattended long-term layup my guess is that the charger will have to be attached directly to the battery terminals rather than through the accessory outlet. Either that or connect it as described above once a month or so. These are just my guesses - certainly nothing official from BMW!

Brian Mullins

I was told by my dealer that because of the the electronics on my new RT. I could not use the accessory plug on the bike to charge the battery like I do on my 2001 RT and I did on my 2001 LT. Do any of you know anything about this? eek.gif

I got dizzy from all the contradictory back and forth on the Deltran Battery Tenders, including statements from the company itself about what does and does not work for different gel batteries. I bought the BMW-labeled model that my dealer assured me is correct for the R12RT. I've been using it for a month now with no problems at all. It plugs into the accessory outlet and works just fine with the Canbus system. It cost me a little over $100, considerably more than the B-Tenders cost, but amortized over the life of the bike, it's worth it to me.

Jon--

Ditto on the dizzy. I decided to have my dealer order the new charger for the 12RT and not be in a quandry over the correct aspects of the former charger working with the new system. I'm going to ebay my 04 BMW gel charger. I like the new charger so far.

I played with DCB's new-style BMW charger. I found it's behaviors odd when connected to other batteries. It seems to work fine with the bike.

I just hooked a pigtail harness up to the battery direct and use my BT Jr on the GS. Works fine. You need to be quite paranoid to find issue with it.

Hooking up the SAE/pigtail isn't $80 harder than the accessory plug. Plus it gives me a good spot to attach my electrics should I encounter the issues others have had with overloading the accessory plug.

I got dizzy from all the contradictory back and forth on the Deltran Battery Tenders, including statements from the company itself about what does and does not work for different gel batteries. I bought the BMW-labeled model that my dealer assured me is correct for the R12RT. I've been using it for a month now with no problems at all. It plugs into the accessory outlet and works just fine with the Canbus system. It cost me a little over $100, considerably more than the B-Tenders cost, but amortized over the life of the bike, it's worth it to me.

Ditto on the dizzy. I decided to have my dealer order the new charger for the 12RT and not be in a quandry over the correct aspects of the former charger working with the new system. I'm going to ebay my 04 BMW gel charger. I like the new charger so far.

Do you fellows have a BMW part number for the chargers that your dealers supplied for the R1200RT? My dealer does not seem to have specific information about this and suggests that I use the BMW gel battery charger that I purchased a couple of years ago - the one made by Deltran that looks like a Battery Tender. Beyond what's in the manual, I haven't received advice about whether or not to connect that charger through the accessory outlet.

Any information about the chargers that you bought for the RT will be much appreciated!

Brian

http://www.r1200gs.info/misc/BMW-charger.html

I was just about to post that the 12RT doesn't have a gel battery like they used too. It's AGM. Thanks for the link

I think the 12ST is gel though.

My R1200RT came with the Exide gel battery, not an AGM battery. I believe that is standard for the new RT and the other CAN-bus bikes except the R1200GS which, I believe, uses an AGM battery and the charger shown in link quoted above. I don't believe that the charger shown in the link should be used on a bike with a gel battery.

This whole thread may drive everyone nuts!

Brian

Hmm...I'm pretty sure that's the charger for any of the hexhead bikes.

Which does raise the question, does the charger need to be special?

Just go ask the dead horse. wink.gif

OOhh. I've done it agian. I posted mis-information. I was going off of memory that the ST and RT had different batteries.

The ST and GS have AGM and the RT has Gel.

Here's the source of my info.

bmw_battery.jpg

Do you fellows have a BMW part number for the chargers that your dealers supplied for the R1200RT?

Brian,

The part number on mine is 71 60 7 688 865. This model is pictured in the chart posted earlier in this thread by R4ND0M_AX3, where the description is as follows: "This is the ONLY charger available for charging installed batteries through the auxiliary power plug of all BMW motorcycles, including 'Can-Bus' models (~2005 and later)."

As I said, this model works exactly as described on my '05 R12RT, so I have no complaints and am no longer confused (I think).

And just so everyone REMAINS confused, BMW just released a new battery charger/tester for use on ALL AGM/Wet Cell and GEL batteries installed in CAN bus bikes.

P/N 90 88 6 611 590

90886611590 BATTERY CHARGER USA S $204.50 from Chicago BMW.

smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Mick

Wow, if this trend continues, soon you'll get a free bike with the charger! :P

Seriously, if the charging voltage is a wee wee bit off you *might* shorten the life of the battery a bit. On a $80 part, say you shorten it's life 10%...aw nevermind.

I am unwilling to pay this kind of money for a battery charger, and have decided that I don't need one. I live in TN, and ride all year, although maybe only a couple of times a month in the coldest months. How long does it take to bring a battery back up to full charge after sitting idle for a few weeks? Is 30 minutes enough? Also, if the battery were to fail, couldn't I jump start the bike from my car, or even "push" start it?

Jay

R1200RT

Doesn't the word "available" mean available from your BMW dealer. There must be other chargers that work.

Dependency comes at a price I may not be willing to pay.

Archived