IGNORED

throttle synch

bobbobtar

.....Now resides in my "Special BMW Tools" drawer!

I wonder how many of the readership has a BMW Tool Drawer??? :thumbsup:

I have and i have a BMW sticker on it - too funny

OK....One of you guru's that know how to post a survey (I don't) :wave:....Here's another interesting one IMHO.......

:lurk:

OK....One of you guru's that know how to post a survey (I don't) :wave:....Here's another interesting one IMHO.......

Here you go:

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=408083#Post408083

My first poll - BTW the instructions to do it are in the FAQ section and it is very straight forward.

If i can do it..........

Here you go:

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=408083#Post408083

My first poll - BTW the instructions to do it are in the FAQ section and it is very straight forward.

If i can do it..........

Thanks Marine :thumbsup:.......I just didn't take the time to try....Lazy :/

I still have a medium sized box labeled "Small Harley Parts" which was collected over almost 20 years of that particular disease. So far I have only one rather small bin on my bench but it is labeled BMW Only.

It is a start...

I also thought the TPS on the 1200s needed nothing and had no idea I was supposed to be doing this.

About a year ago, I switched from a TwinMax to a homemade manometer. One of the first things I noticed when using the latter was the very lopsided sync at idle. (more than a couple inches off) Am I understanding correctly that this is/may be the reason?

And to be sure I got this right, the "TPS learn" should be done with the ignition on, then it must be turned off?

Man, what would we mickey mouse backyard wrenches do without you tech-wizards!

I should mention this was a used bike with 934 mikes. The owner just had the dealer do the 600 mile service and they sent it back not running correctly althought he didn't know that. It was his first and only bmw. I can do everything on my older 1100's but this is my first 1200.

I really think you're making this too hard. With 934 miles, the engine is not broken in, and will simply not be as smooth as it eventually will get.

The engine will never be totally smooth at idle, because the computer is making it very lean for emissions control. The dealer did everything there is to do - that being they verified the TBS.

If you really want to pursue it, you could add a power commander, and set the idle just a tad richer. Really though - the bike will be smoother with miles, and the dealer did nothing wrong.

I now have 3K on the bike and it doesn't run any better at idle. I have disconnected the battery and re-set the TPI and checked the sync. It's anoying to roll up to a stop and listen to the motor clacking. I doubt BMW engineers intended for it to run this way. What about other 1200's? Is anyone else seeing this?

I'd agree that the idle mix is too lean. If I disconnect the stepper motors in runs like I think it should, althought I didn't take if for a spin that way.

I would be willing to try a power commander if there is nothing else I can do. How do I go about that?

I would have suggested you visit www.powercommander.com, but the web site there doesn't list any application for BMWs. I believe they do make them, as there is considerable discussion about them at www.advrider.com, in the GS forum. For example, this thread, but not the only one. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=396222

My 2007 R1200GS doesn't idle perfectly, but neither does it make any more noise at idle, than it does off idle. Disconnecting the stepper motors will make the idle smoother, because the computer is no longer hunting for a lean mixture - but again the sound doesn't change significantly.

There is some noise they all make. The biggest noise at idle is simply the injectors firing. I don't know if that is the clack you are hearing - but they are of course also firing off idle, and also firing with the stepper motors disconnected.

I assume by now, you've listened to other R1200's, to see if yours sounds much different.

What about other 1200's? Is anyone else seeing this?

I've always thought my 1200GS had a rather lumpy idle.

Fortunately I don't ride it too much at idle!

Archived