IGNORED

Signal, AZ

wbrissette

I'm getting ready to take the RT out on a trip from Austin, TX to Milpitas, CA. Off I-93 in Arizona is a road that leads to a placed called Signal (according to MapSource).

N34 32.059 W113 26.474

I've looked at this address in Google Maps, but I can't tell if this road really is a tarmac or simply dirt. I found one road that looked like it would take me where I wanted to go, but then I looked at some of the geophotos taken of the area and learned it was simply a sand road. Something I might take the Ulysses on, but not the RT.

Anyhow, anybody know anything about this road? It ends up close to Lake Havasu.

Wayne

Thanks Russell. If it's dirt, I don't mind. I just don't want it to turn into sand. What I found interesting was that the roads have real names assigned to them. I don't know if that's typical of dirt roads in Arizona (I can't recall, and it's been 20+ years since I left MCAS Yuma).

If anybody knows more about this road, I'd love to hear about it. I might simply end up seeing what it looks like as I journey down it. ;-)

Wayne

I have not been on it but it looks like non-tarmac meaning dirt and/or sand. If you decide not to take it, just down the road on 93 is "Wikieup". There is a good restaurant next to a gas station located there on the east side of the road. FYI

What I found interesting was that the roads have real names assigned to them. I don't know if that's typical of dirt roads in Arizona (I can't recall, and it's been 20+ years since I left MCAS Yuma).
Arizona still has an enormous amount of dirt roads that traverse the rural areas of the State. Many are State Roads, so they are "maintained" and in pretty decent shape.

It is dirt with 3 major dry river crossings with two that are pretty sandy. I was last up there several years ago but I wouldn't take an RT there

Kaisr

I'm being lazy and did not actually look it up, but could it be an artifact of the US Army installation at Fort Huachuca, which as a Signal Corps center back in the 60's?

As a Signal Corps guy from then I remember that fort. Roads in or near military installations were not frequently paved.

Thanks! Looks like I'll have to take the long way around the area then. I was hoping to cut across, but that doesn't look like it's going to be possible now.

Wayne

Archived