IGNORED

R1200RT reliability

wambo69

Has the R1200RT had any issues like other BMWs? Like final drive issues, gas gauge issues, transmission spline issues, EWS immobilizer antenna issues? Seems like It's pretty quiet here regarding reliability issues, so I was curious.

Thanks!

The '07-'08 R1200RT had the same EWS immobilizer problem as the rest of the BMW lineup. Other than that I don't know of any failure trend.

We have a fleet of 9, couple are pushing 10,000 hard "fighting crime" miles and no issues.

Great motorcycle and believe better than our 1100/1150s.

Lone_RT_rider
Golly! I had no idea my 12GS had all those issues. Is it safe to ride or should I take it to the dealer?

You? Go to a dealer in the ATL area? :grin:

Hi Marty! :wave:

Shawn

Golly! I had no idea my 12GS had all those issues. Is it safe to ride or should I take it to the dealer?

Safe to ride. :thumbsup:

Unless you tell the bike you're taking it to the dealership. :/

It seems like these are more GS and LT issues apparently. I've been following this because I really like these bikes, but like any consumer, don't want to spend close to $20k and have nothing but issues to keep me from riding.

Thanks for the replys!

42K miles on my '06 with only a cracked top trunk (repaired under extended warranty) and a burned out headlight bulb (replaced both at 30K miles).

The bike is subject to final drive failures, but no one knows at what rate. A number of riders on this board have two FD failures on the same bike, and last summer in the big Iron Butt event 4 similar (hexheads) failures occurred out of something like 20 such bikes, which caused quite a stir. On the other hand, most of us ride, ride, ride without any issues. Most of us think the failure rate is in the 1 - 5% range, but it's hard to say. There was a recent thread in which it was stated that BMW is now going to cover the FD's to 70,000 miles, but I can not verify that statement. In the past they had covered them out of warranty on a case by case basis without any stated rationale. So far as we are aware the FD failures have not led to any accidents or disasters, but they do have vacation ruining potential.

Our pair of '07 RT's has 22,000 miles on them. So far a heated grip failure on one of the bikes. BMW has not been able to repair that as yet, since April. Recalls for the EWS ring and a software update.

There have been some issues with earlier bikes on programming of the fuel gauge. My understanding is that software updates will fix that. I have not heard of spline issues aside from FD failures.

There are other issues, but they are all niggles.

Overall most of us feel the bike is generally reliable.

Has the R1200RT had any issues like other BMWs? Like final drive issues, gas gauge issues, transmission spline issues, EWS immobilizer antenna issues? Seems like It's pretty quiet here regarding reliability issues, so I was curious.

Thanks!

Gonna throw a monkey wrench into the mix. After 20K and a 1200 mile Utah trip my 05 RT left me puzzled when it lost power and made a hellacious grinding/hammering from the left cylinder area. This was on the way home from Torrey and I was 3 miles from my home (TY God!) and FIVE days left on the warranty.

The left valve train went..not sure why but it did. Is it a fluke? One can hope, but the fact of the matter is that it happened to ME!!! No being the neurotic OCD and anal compulsive guy I am :grin: I could not reasonably be trusting the bike anymore (call me crazy but I am wired like I'm wired, no disputing that) hence the new GSA in the barn. Will that happen to the GSA? Who knows..but I got 3 years to not think about it!!!

Buy the Rt and go with it...I miss the darn thing already!!!! :cry:

My dealer (Irv Seaver) claims about 3% final drive failure rate when I pressed them. If true that's still a concern because that is the full population, not only bikes over 50K or 75K miles. I'd bet the failure rate after 'some' high mileage is triple the average rate or higher.

So, um, how much does a new final drive cost anyway, assuming it craps out after the warranty is up?

I'm hoping for less shop time than my buddy's last generation K12RS, which was in the shop too often, and my old R1200C, which also wasted FAR too much of my time in my dealer's shop.

2005 R1200RT purchased 12/17/05. I've put 27,000 miles on it to date and have had zero mechanical issues. The lone issue I had was the paint finish on my valve cover on the left side of the engine. My dealer had both left and right side valve covers replaced under warranty.

P.S. I'm about to purchase a 4 year extended warranty that covers the bike from head to toe for $1150. Since I plan on keeping the bike another 4 years, it's cheap insurance against a costly failure of Final Drive, ABS, ESA, ect.

don't know about the 1200 rt but my 1150 rt had final drive issues and other to the tune of over $4000. get the extended warranty for sure!!!!

My 2006 RT has 75,000 kms (47,000 miles). My final drive failed far from home at 38,000 kms. It was repaired under warranty and I was off the road for two days (luckily parts were in the warehouse in California). That said, all these posts -- mine included -- give anecdotal info that really proves little. Only BMW knows how reliable these bikes are. Too bad there wasn't a Consumer Reports for bikes.

My Harley had way more problems in 15k. My RT has 18K problem free, unless you want to count a billion screws to get the tupperware off to service the bike. This is the most fun bike I have owned in years and if one does proper maint. it should live longer than the owner.

If you think the R1200-RT is bad, take a look at an R1100/1150-RT....

#1 reason my next bike will have little to no body work removal required for general maintenance. I see little black spacers and half stripped out bolts in my dreams at night......scary stuff

count a billion screws to get the tupperware off

compared to taking the top shelter off a Goldwing the RT is a breeze

count a billion screws to get the tupperware off

compared to taking the top shelter off a Goldwing the RT is a breeze

Actually I'm a little surprised. I think there's only something like 6 or 8 screws per side. It's a little hassle but I find the 15 - 20 minutes of "screwing around" :grin:, lets me get my head in the game for what I'm going to work on.

Y'all tired of tupperware screws and tupperware in general, get a GS! I love mine :thumbsup:

That's the plan :thumbsup:

I just need the RT to last me till next summer.

Keith,

A GS is a waste on riders like you who never venture off of the slab.

Please consider a more appropriate bike, such as an LT.

Keith,

I thought Keith was going to buy that new Harley trike? Kinda limits illegal lane splitting though... at least his rubber chicken would have a place to sit.

Keith,

:grin::grin::grin:

Do you really want to see pictures of an LT laying on its side in a creek?

I have an '05, bought out of the first batch into the US spring of '05. 81,000k miles are on it and overall it's been one great ride, see no need to replace it.. Bike has been in all 50 states, 3 trips to AK. Great IBA ride.

Issues -

A couple of recalls and software updates, nothing major.

CD player isn't worth S**t, radio works OK, I'd pass if given the choice.

I run an Aeroflow windscreen (great shield), down side is windshield support arms failed after 36K with the aftermarket shield. After market arms (made by forum member in WI) have been going strong since, cheaper then BMW parts.

Has used lots of tires, seems to get 6-8K out of a rear, best is ~12K out of an ME880. Fronts easily go 10-12K.

Rear Drive failed @ 73K, replaced by BMW. NOT a catostrophic failure, unit started making grumbling noise and upon inspection, wheel had some free play.

Cruise control just quit working (won't hold speed anymore), haven't figured out issue yet.

Oil, filter, plugs.. Bike has consistently gotten 40-45mpg, high 30's if you really push hard.

Another item, bike eats headlight bulbs.. About every 20K, first one side, then the other..

Looking forward to putting another 80K on the bike.

TinMan.

Great posts guys, thanks! I appreciate the answers and I really enjoy seeing people passionate about their bikes. The potential problems don't seem to decrease the passion for most of you. It seems that a couple of you may consider a different BWM, so I'm curious: What could be better for you than the R1200RT?

Let me say one more thing regarding the RT before we move on. I grew up riding dirt bikes and didn't get into street bikes until 1994. The bikes in order to my current R1200RT are:

Suzuki Intruder 800

Harley Sportser 883

Harley Dyna Super-Glide (1998)

Harley Dyna Super-Glide (2000)

Triumph Sprint ST

Honday CB 700

Yamaha FZ-1

Yamaha FJR1300ABS

BMW R1200RT

I test drove the BMW and it fit me like a glove ergonomically. I can drive this bike for hours and days on end in comfort. Seat/Peg/Handlebars are in perfect relationship for my body build, and the wind and weather protection are excellent. The next surprise I found was how well this bike handles. It's very forgiving and easy to ride. Get it in the mountain twisties and it amazed me with its agility. IMO it out handles the Yamaha FJR hands down.

The bottom line, no other street bike has put a smile on my face like the R1200RT, and you can see the ones I've been through. I can travel to far distances in comfort, and when I hit the mountain twisties it handles like it's on a rail. There are many great bikes out there, but BMW nailed this one for me.

It seems that a couple of you may consider a different BWM, so I'm curious: What could be better for you than the R1200RT?

As an all weather trans continental cruise missle, the RT is the ride for me.. I have an R1200R (or RT "Lite") for local back road scratching and summer riding, but if I had to have one it would be the RT.

TinMan.

I had my R1100RT and got 170K smiles out of it. I wanted to go lighter so I went to the R1150R and I may have started the moniker RT-lite. With a Parabellum Scout windshield protection was good but not RT and with a Russell seat and lowered footpegs the riding position was good but still a bit tight. But I did love that bike.

Now I have my R1200GS. With a good windshield I get the protection of a RT. The riding position is relaxed and perfect for me. Bike is much handier than a RT. I'm happy.

Other than another RT the GSA is high on my due to the multi pupose aspect of it. I would like to add a KLR or similar bike to the stable for more serious dirt than the GSA, primarily because it will be cheaper to fix if it gets wounded when I get stupid on it(which will happen). For slab and distance the RT is the finest ride I have owned to date topping my rolling sofa FLHTCU by quite a bit in everything except the seat.

Now I have my R1200GS. With a good windshield I get the protection of a RT. The riding position is relaxed and perfect for me. Bike is much handier than a RT. I'm happy.

Funny, I had the GS (R12) first, then swapped that on the RT and couldn't be happier.. I guess it all depends on what floats your boat..

There all good, just differnt variations on a theme..

I have 06 RT which runs slightly more than 25K km now.My dealer has replaced a couple of parts which covers under warranty. Loose side panniers, antenna ring, radio antenna base plate, windshield bumpers and recently the whole ABS module. Apparently, they found out that the power supply to the module is insufficient thus giving me the permanent warning light on my display. They resetted the fault and it didn't go off so I'm getting a new module. Oh they've also replaced one of the turn signal lights which doesn't seal tight.

Archived