IGNORED

R1200Rt headlight bulb removal

Kritou

The left hand bulb has blown and while I have unscrewd the cover and pulled off the connector I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the bulb out. Can someone advise please? Thanks

After the electrical connector is off, there is a clip holding the bulb base in the housing, which has 2 tabs - as I recall they are closer to the bottom of (or just below) the bulb - which release outward, then the clip pivots up out of the way of the bulb and the bulb pulls out of the housing.

Thanks Gents - sorted now, but it took an age for me to realise that the spring clip hinged at the top and not the bottom

btw, are H7's BMW specific or will I find them outside a franchised dealer?

H7's are pretty generic, when I went to get one at Lordco they had about a dozen choices - picked one that was about middle of the price range and it is at least twice as bright as the original...

THE BEST EVER TIP ON BULB REPLACEMENT..

take off both wing mirrors, look down one and shine a torch (if needed) down the other. Seeing all the bits easily makes all the difference.

Just replaced bioth dipped beams, the left was a dodle and took about 2 minutes, the right was more tricky, the difficult bit is getting the bulb seated properly and I found looking through the lens made this easier.

Also, definitely quicker the second time - would have been even quicker if I hadn't replaced the wrong side first! :dopeslap:

btw, are H7's BMW specific or will I find them outside a franchised dealer?

You can find them at (some) auto parts dealers. I recently bought both the H7's they had in the state of Utah. :grin:

take off both wing mirrors, look down one and shine a torch (if needed) down the other. Seeing all the bits easily makes all the difference.

Probably worth clarifying "torch" = "light source" so our U.S. friends don't end up setting their fairings on fire.

Probably worth clarifying "torch" = "light source" so our U.S. friends don't end up setting their fairings on fire.

Pardon? I think I have one in the boot.

Even after replacing the bulb/globe the warning remained when I switched the ignition on ....... had to start the engine to clear the failure symbol

Even after replacing the bulb/globe the warning remained when I switched the ignition on ....... had to start the engine to clear the failure symbol

This makes sense since the headlights are not turned on until the bike is started.

Archived