The World Series Begins

RichEdwards

...and with two unexpected teams, the Phillies and the Rays. Games 1 and 2 are at Tropicana Field which is just about 10 miles away from the Phillies Spring Training Facility in Clearwater, so the area is familiar to the Philadelphia team. It should be an exciting event and keep the Tampa area energized until the Superbowl, which will be located here too. :grin:

Oh goody!. How much of the world is involved in the series?

Well....true, there are not too many British baseball players. But while the teams are all American/Canadian, the players are from all over--Japan, Korea, South and Central America.

By the way...my predictable prediction--the Rays in five.

And right there Andy puts the global perspective on the US and our myopic view of the "world."

Classic:thumbsup:

Actually, a standing challenge between MLB and the National Baseball League of Great Britain and Ireland exists.

londonnba.gif

Problem is, the Brits won't allow Lite Beer to be sold. :grin:

Toronto had their chance and didn't do a good job representing "the world" in the series.

Rich - Don't remind him that a Tampa resident owns the UK's prized Manchester United - the most valuable sports franchise on Earth. Damned Yanks. Pillocks, all of 'em.

That doesn't worry me. Most Man-U supporters are overseas anyway. I occasionally follow Exeter City, but mostly I am into MotoGP and Cricket.

BTW, sorry for the hijack.

Andy

Andy ,

It's about as world wide as the Rugby League World Cup which is starting in Australia this week .

Countries involved are Australia , New Zealand , England, Papua New Guinea , France , Fiji , Scotland , Ireland , Tonga and Samoa

I don't think that having just 10 countries qualifies as a "world anything" especially when one of the countries is PNG.

I spent a year watching a game of baseball in San Francisco one afternoon. I am sure I didn't appreciate the nuances of the game . This is from some one who will happily sit through a cricket test match .

Looking forward to the third test in India.

They completely out played us in the second test.

"I'm just glad the Dodgers got knocked out."

I could not agree with you more!!

Yeah, but probably for different reasons. Traffic for the divisional championship games was bad and a World Series would have been insufferable.

First pitch wasn't till 10pm EST!
So that's why the result wasn't in the paper this morning, I don't care enough to go looking for it but am casually curious.

Yep, they knew the rain would eventually end but Tue's forecast [make-up date] was for cold and windy. So they wanted to get the game in no matter what time it started.

BTW, it was 55 [and dropping] and windy at first pitch.

Is it time for the rally caps?

Yes, it is.

Rally%20Cap%20logo.jpg

Lets go Rays!

Lets go Rays!

Lets go Rays!

Lets go Rays!

Lets go Rays!

Lets go Rays!

Lets go Rays!

Lets go Rays!

First pitch wasn't till 10pm EST!

Not good if you expect kids to follow the action. I liked it better when the games were played in the daytime, but that's nostalgic and not realistic.

Let's hope Kazmir can do the job tomorrow.

CRAP:mad: :mad: :mad:

Are those rally craps?

Go RAYS!

signed,

Red Sox fan

Anything to get them pitching and hitting at the same time.

Suspended because of rain.

Watching the game last night (39 degrees and drizzle/heavy rain) reminded me of why I left the northeast. Gorgeous fall colors followed by cold and gray. :wave:

Suspended because of rain.

Watching the game last night (39 degrees and drizzle/heavy rain) reminded me of why I left the northeast. Gorgeous fall colors followed by cold and gray. :wave:

+1 If you ever miss the East during winter, open your freezer. Everything is hard and cold. :dopeslap:

They need to go back to 154 games, start "playoffs" sooner, have afternoon games too.

Baseball in the cold, wet, is like tennis in the snow.

California isn't watching this Series anyways. :/

East Coast matchup and it starts basically when we're getting ready to retire for the evening.

Back in the day, I remeber AM radios w/wire to an earplug smuggled into school to listen to the World Series and it seemed as if everyone was involved with the outcome regardless of the participants. :sigh:

TB got saved last night. They should have called the game earlier.

There was no save. Didn't you listen to Selig afterward? When asked what would have happened if Tampa Bay had not scored, would he have called the game and given it to Philadelphia, he said No. He said he would have suspended the game as a rain delay and finished it whenever the next opportunity arose.

I understand the rules. But it's the World Series and it deserves that the games be played to a man-made conclusion.

OK, fair enough. So..why did they delay the delay so long? It's not like the rain got WORSE at that point in the inning!

(to be clear, I don't want the game decided by the officials or rain either!)

OK, fair enough. So..why did they delay the delay so long? It's not like the rain got WORSE at that point in the inning!

Because the forecast for the next few days sucks. More wind and rain and even snow on Wed.

Weatherman thinks the rain will stop at game time.

Selig breathed a big sigh of relief when the Rays tied the game. It made it easy for him to call it. Otherwise there would have been lots of moaning and groaning from one side if he called it and the other side for not calling it. I agree with his decision to finish the game no matter what. It is the World Series and that can not be decided by the rain. LET'EM PLAY!!

By the way it snowed up here near Philly today!!

A sure sign that the Phillies will win

GO :clap: PHILS

Selig breathed a big sigh of relief when the Rays tied the game. It made it easy for him to call it. Otherwise there would have been lots of moaning and groaning from one side if he called it and the other side for not calling it. I agree with his decision to finish the game no matter what. It is the World Series and that can not be decided by the rain. LET'EM PLAY!!

By the way it snowed up here near Philly today!!

A sure sign that the Phillies will win

GO :clap: PHILS

Well, part of the problem is that MLB didn't really communicate well. They decided (upon seeing the forecast - they're not stupid) that they were going to play all 9 innings of all the needed games no matter what. The problem really lies in the fact that they didn't communicate that to the fans.

The World Series was delayed for a week due to rain in 1914. Guess where? Philadelphia.

They should play the Phillies World Series home games in Clearwater, FL, at their spring training facility where it was 75 degrees and sunny yesterday. :Cool:

Congratulations to the Phillies. However, I don't think Philadelphia Travel Commission will be happy with the national display of their weather.

Eeeeeeeeeeeevaaaaaaaaaa

Eeeeeeeeeeeevvvvvvaaaaaaa

Eeeeeeeeeeeevvvvvvvvvaaaaaaaa

I'm a Red Sox fan but would have liked to see the Rays pull it off out of some hometown pride. They'll be back again, they've got a good team and pretty good staff.

The Phillies just wanted it more.

So, what's the tally on burned cars and gang violence? :/

Eeeeeeeeeeeevaaaaaaaaaa

Eeeeeeeeeeeevvvvvvaaaaaaa

Eeeeeeeeeeeevvvvvvvvvaaaaaaaa

I'm a Red Sox fan but would have liked to see the Rays pull it off out of some hometown pride. They'll be back again, they've got a good team and pretty good staff.

The Phillies just wanted it more.

So, what's the tally on burned cars and gang violence? :/

So far the damage is limited to a couple of bus stops, some broken store windows a traffic light and graffitti.

Why does the commentator (I believe on Fox) after the final game say the winners are "world champions?" No offence intended but can someone explain to me why he would even say that?

Why does the commentator (I believe on Fox) after the final game say the winners are "world champions?" No offence intended but can someone explain to me why he would even say that?

Because we invented it at a time when nobody else played baseball. I know it seems to be in vogue to be PC in this country and try to not insult any other culture, but in this case, it's ours, and we don't want to give it away to anyone else.

See: America's Cup.

What I am having trouble understanding is how the winner of a game between two teams from one country can be classified as "world champions" (and if invention is your criteria is there not some dispute about where the game originated?). I re-iterate that no offence is intended......I would just like to know how this claim can be justified (and apparently accepted by some).

Archived