IGNORED

Form over function?: Garmin GXM30 mount

Effjay

I acquired a GXM 30 antenna/receiver on this forum and installed it last weekend in a location I thought would be a good compromise. I'd seen pics here mounted horizontally on the fairing frame mount behind the oil cooler, so I bought a ZTechnik Z6403 mount (not intended for this location) and installed it there. A short ride resulted in frequent signal drops and I concluded I wouldn't be happy. Next trial was to mount the GXM 30 in the intended mount location, i.e. above and forward of the GPS cradle. Great, but it completely blocked the bord computer display. Not acceptable.

Tonight I experimented a little as shown below. No time for a test ride, but I think the 2nd position will work especially when I relocate the RAM 272 ball to the LH outboard handlebar bolt (towards fuel filler). Signal strength in my garage was solid. We'll see. In this position, I have an unobstructed view of the display, good access to ignition key and no interference with BMW tankbag. Anybody try this location? I could install a BMR shelf but I think that would be overkill for my purpose.

Jeff

This shows the GXM inverted and forward on the mount.

339725385.jpg

This is a closeup of the GXM mounted in that position

339725391.jpg

This shows GXM in inverted mount, forward towards stem nut and (somewhat) vertical

339725396.jpg

And finally, a closeup mounted in that position

I'll also try reversing GXM so that it faces forward towards dash

339725410.jpg

ShovelStrokeEd

The GXM antenna needs to "see" the sky, the more of it the better. That is, the TOP of the antenna, not the bottom. Let the Garmin up where it belongs, you will be far happier with the performance if not the look.

As I stated, this is an experiment. I do know that higher in clear view of satellites is ideal. But then "everything in life is a compromise" so they say. Perhaps instead, I should install a pole of sorts off the rear rack with one of these marine mounts on top? Just kidding... :grin:

Jeff

Here's where I put mine. It's not real pretty, but 100% reliable.

337270478_dLprr-L.jpg

Tom,

How do you have it attached? Velcro?

I couldn't get velcro to stick to the bottom of the antenna.

That's EXACTLY the way that i have mine too. Works just fine for me. (although it does block a small portion of my right mirror).

337270478_dLprr-L.jpg

ShovelStrokeEd

1. Don't use Velcro, use 3M Dualock.

2. Mount the antenna to it's metal mount with the screws that came with the kit. Then stick the 3M stuff to the bottom of the mounting plate.

3. Don't use too much surface area of the locking portion. Best to have a big area on the permanent side and a little area on the temporary side. The stuff sticks so strongly to its mating part that you run the risk of pulling the glue apart rather than the assembly, DAMHIK.

1. Don't use Velcro, use 3M Dualock.

2. Mount the antenna to it's metal mount with the screws that came with the kit. Then stick the 3M stuff to the bottom of the mounting plate.

3. Don't use too much surface area of the locking portion. Best to have a big area on the permanent side and a little area on the temporary side. The stuff sticks so strongly to its mating part that you run the risk of pulling the glue apart rather than the assembly, DAMHIK.

Right, but I didn't use the screws. The magnet in the antenna is enough to hold it.

Well, I didn't get screws or metal mount with mine. :cry:

Since I plan on leaving GXM30 on the bike 100%, I hard mounted mine to the ZTechnik plate (furnished screws too long, so I bought shorter ones). These pictures will be the final "resting place" unless signal strength is unsatisfactory. Scratch that - against my "form over function" mindset, I'll likely invert the hockey puck (GARMIN name upside down) to allow dressing all cables to rider's right once ride tested to confirm good signal strength. With camera flash you cant see display, but in my garage with doublewall metal rollup door down, 3 bars signal strength! I'll post a follow up report in a few days...

Jeff

Frontal view through windscreen (note tankbag mounted)

339866837.jpg

Rider's seated view (tankbag removed)

339868545.jpg

• 3 months later...

Bringing this topic back to the top with a new question...

I'm adding a radar detector within a few days. If I opt for a V1, any functional reason why I should not mount the GXM30 on top of the V1 on a metal base plate attached to V1 using 3M Dualock? Is there enough magnetic attraction that could cause electrical or signal interference? The boxy shape and flat top plate of the V1 seems to beg for utilization! :Cool:

Jeff

I mounted my GXM-30 under the fairing but right under the top cover near the windshield. Theres a little pocket up there. I actually used a stay in place form in place putty and it sits on top of the mechanical housing. Definatley not a real proffesional moutning method but it works great and is solid where its at. great reception and it stays compeltey out of sight.

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

337270478_dLprr-L.jpg [/quot]

That's where mine is mounted as well. Works reliably.

Effjay - In your October post, you mentioned a followup about signal strength when mounting the GXM30 "upside-down," as shown in the neat pictures. Just curious, how is/was reception? Thanks. Rick

great reception and it stays compeltey out of sight.
I don't have XM in my cages, so I want the GXM30 mounted where I can easily remove and use it in combo with my SP 2730 (using 2730 built in FM transmitter feature). More bang for my XM subscription buck...

Jeff

I plan to mount the radar unit on a Ztechnik Z6100 in an unused mirror hole with the plate positioned just above the reservoir. My thought is to piggyback the GXM30 as (I suggested last night) on top of the radar unit.

Jeff

ZBMZ6100_160.jpg

Just curious, how is/was reception? Thanks. Rick
Out in open spaces (like the Mojave Desert :D ) it works quite well, but anywhere near hills or buildings results in unacceptable level of drop outs. Six of us rode 275 miles yesterday (appetite for Jalama Burgers) and XM reception was poor at best. My experiment was not a success.

Jeff

I plan to mount the radar unit on a Ztechnik Z6100 in an unused mirror hole with the plate positioned just above the reservoir. My thought is to piggyback the GXM30 as (I suggested last night) on top of the radar unit.

Jeff

ZBMZ6100_160.jpg

When I first bought the RT I used this mount for my Zumo. After a while the mount started loosening around the shaft that mounts in the mirror hole. I contacted them and they sent a replacement. Unfortunately, on the replacement the shaft that goes into the mirror hole would not fit. Puzzled, I measured new and old with a micrometer and the new one was about .100 larger. I again contacted them, they said hmmmm. Went back and forth a few times, but never got a resolution. Basically they said the design had not changed. Somewhere in the midst of all this I bought a BMR shelf and lost interest in resolving the issue. Just a heads up to make sure you get one that fits the mirror hole, and that you can return it if it doesn't.

Them and they refer to a "tech mounts" in Boca I think. I don't know if they sell ztechnik stuff or if it's the other way around.

As far as the GXM-30 goes it didn't work for me. I bought one and set it up with the Zumo, mounted it up high on the BMR shelf. It cut in and out all the time. On a straight open road with no trees it was fantastic. Unfortunately I do my best to avoid straight open roads with no trees, so it was pretty useless. I bought it at Crutchfield, they have a no questions ask returns policy so back it went.

...Just a heads up to make sure you get one that fits the mirror hole, and that you can return it if it doesn't.

My local BMW dealer stocks the Ztechnik mount, so that's a no-hassle purchase. Two of the guys on the Jalama run yesterday use this mount successfully. Also, I traded emails with Valentine this morning including a GXM30 jpg image link, asking whether the magnetic base will cause interference issues. They replied "no problem", however I read on a radar detector forum that XM signals can cause false bogeys if the receiver/antenna is mounted too close to detector. We'll see...

Jeff

337270478_dLprr-L.jpg

That's exactly where I put mine also. I built a bracket and used the vacant mirror hole to mount it. Have a photo somewhere if needed.

An unexpected change in plans arose yesterday... ;)

The Ztechnik mount I bought Saturday will be returned and a full BMR kit installed instead - with Zumo, XM puck, V1 unit and accessories all located there!

Jeff

Bringing this topic back to the top with a new question...

I'm adding a radar detector within a few days.

I recommend that you think about everything you want to install (if possible) and think about where everything might be installed. This helps when you need to run the wires, etc. You can install everything at once.

You should consider a BMR Products Co-Pilot Shelf . You can configure it many different ways to meet your needs.

Here is how I have my stuff installed. Not that it's perfect, but works for me.

Here is how I have my GXM installed. As others have stated, the GXM needs a clear view of the sky. I have not had any problems with my GXM since moving to this location.

P9290067.JPG

This new image shows my "final answer" for integrating everything I have in play, including a new V1 unit received a few days ago. I'll install a V1 security cover (item received as part of forum classified purchase last weekend is LH mount which I can't use). The Marc Parnes LED will be Dual Locked to the top of that cover when I get it next week unless I find a more ideal spot. Picture was taken standing behind and above the bike. There is a full unobstructed view of the instruments when seated and the V-Stream clears the Zumo with room to spare with the windscreen fully down. Previously I didn't think I'd like my GPS mounted this high, but a ride around the neighborhood concludes otherwise!

Jeff

354052726.jpg

Archived