Military Time? Quick Question

flattwin

I have a quick question to ask on behalf of a buddy who just bought a 2003 R1150RT (I ride an 05 R1200RT):

Is there a way to change the clock from military time to good old standard (12 hour) time? I am sure there is a simple way, but he has not been able to find it. Then again, we are talking about BMW...

Dave in Doodah

I found a pretty reliable way... I look at my watch. Otherwise you can wait for reveille or taps for a benchmark....

I must say, I miss the volt-meter from my old RT, but I guess I got an oil temp gauge and shift counter to make up for it... either way, I am a happy camper.

ShovelStrokeEd

I'm willing to guess that the function is available on the clock chip, just not implemented in the design of the circuit board. Anybody know the numbers on the back of the chip?

I'm willing to guess that the function is available on the clock chip, just not implemented in the design of the circuit board. Anybody know the numbers on the back of the chip?

That was true of the 1100, but BMW changed it for the 1150 for reasons known only to them.

Andy

Been down that road - Took apart a RID once and tried to cross reference every number anywhere on anything, including on the single chip on the PCB. Came up with a big fat nothing.

ShovelStrokeEd

Maybe its a proprietary chip?

Almost every one I have investigated in terms of off the shelf stuff has had a pin that you either force active high or active low to switch between 12/24 hr format.

Could be some form of custom programmed chip ASIC or FPGA stuff. Only reason I could think to use one is to multi-function a single display and that is not the case with the clock, is it? Maybe they wound up a few pfennig cheaper.

I actually prefer 24 hr time so it wouldn't bother me a bit.

The 24 hour clock is not just military time. It's in use in aviation, transportation, law enforcement and who knows how many nations in the world. I can't tell you how happy I am not seeing that silly AM/PM nonsense. I would support one time for the entire world based on GMT.

The 24 hour clock is not just military time. It's in use in aviation, transportation, law enforcement and who knows how many nations in the world. I can't tell you how happy I am not seeing that silly AM/PM nonsense.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

They could set the clock 12 hours fast/slow so they only have to do the math in the A.M.

I did that once by accident. It works out pretty well because it is in the afternoon when you want to know how much time you have left before stopping that you look at the clock.

thanks for replying. I do find it hard to believe there is no secrect trick to converting to non-military time

Well if you do figure it out, sell the solution for $19.95, you'll make a mint. Because more than a couple pretty darn smart EE's have look at this over the years and the answer always comes back, "no way."

Dave in Doodah

I have read where people buy a stick-on thermometer for their RT dash and it fits in nicely... you could get a stick-on 12-hour clock for 5 bucks and apply it to cover your stock RT clock. Silly, I know, but simpler than disecting and head-scratching....

The stock, analog (12-hour)clock on my '83 RT still works prefectly... I think that's cool. MotoMeter makes good gauges.

Military time is better time keeping system . It does take a little time to adjust to it but you'll never wonder if someone meant AM or PM . I've been using it the better part of my life so it's easy to go back and forth when talking with anyone ... at least for me.

Archived