IGNORED

CHP has new equipment?

StuGotz

Just asking, in the last week I have seen lots of "radar" use on major highways. CHP units in marked and "un" marked vehicles..

Anybody else noticed this, or is it just my area?

MB>

Just this afternoon west bound on the 118 through Simi Valley (SoCal), I noticed a white cruiser off on the right shoulder with the officer outside of the vehicle on it's right side

It appeared that he had a device in his hands that may have been LIDAR.

I figured he was either looking for a speeding truck or surveying traffic speeds, or perhaps he was practicing????

Sheesh. Forget the CHP. As part of our safety crackdown, it appears that my employer's managment has invited the University of California police onsite to catch people speeding. They had two people pulled over at the bottom of one of our very steep hills today, writing them a ticket.

You may be onto something; I drove 10 miles up the freeway this afternoon and saw CHP had three cars pulled over. I don’t think one lady could have picked a worse place to pull over if she tried. She actually didn’t pull over just scooted to the edge of the fog line only 10’ out of the intersection. Where is Eric with his taser?

Today must have been "crack down on speeders" day for the CHP. Saw 3 motorcycle CHPs (all with someone pulled over) on a 10 mile stretch of Hwy 80 through Sacramento on my way home from work today.

Just asking, in the last week I have seen lots of "radar" use on major highways. CHP units in marked and "un" marked vehicles..

Anybody else noticed this, or is it just my area?

MB>

How do you know it is "radar"? There are more than radar to enforce traffic violations. Or is this just a statement because you saw a lot of LEOs?

LIDAR is in use by an officer in a plain wrapper, slick top white Crown Vic on both directions of SR4 in CoCo County. Only the door is marked with the CHP insignia.

Just this afternoon west bound on the 118 through Simi Valley (SoCal), I noticed a white cruiser off on the right shoulder with the officer outside of the vehicle on it's right side

It appeared that he had a device in his hands that may have been LIDAR.

I figured he was either looking for a speeding truck or surveying traffic speeds, or perhaps he was practicing????

On our ride up to Russell (Shasta Lake) last week on Hwy 5 we saw an officer on a bike, parked in the median around Corning and he was shooting southbound traffic with some kind of gun...I never got a hit on my detector at all after we went by him, so figured it was laser (Lindar?) and very directional specific...

Seems to me fewer units are using radar and just doing it the old fashioned way..Seemed that way on this ride....I had one of those happen on 126...Never saw him coming up behind, no hits at all...All of a sudden he was behind Kathy, pulled up beside to my speed and looked down (spedo?)..About 5 mph over at the time..He continued on...Whew...

He was black and white but saw many "plain wrapper" white ones...

How do you know it is "radar"? There are more than radar to enforce traffic violations. Or is this just a statement because you saw a lot of LEOs?

John,

Because 2 out of three times I was "aimed" at by CHP....unless of course they are pointing a "blow dryer" at me.. :wave:

MB>

Up here in Wisconsin, the Sheriffs Depts have started using a very dark gray car that is difficult to see especially at dusk and into the night. I call the color Stealth and there are no shield or number decals on the car.

Anyway, about time you Cali guys started slowing down, your posts read like you travel much to fast.

Slight hijack/ question for you LEO guys- does that LIDAR have to be sitting still or is that thing smart enough to work while you're moving?

John,

Because 2 out of three times I was "aimed" at by CHP....unless of course they are pointing a "blow dryer" at me.. :wave:

MB>

Yup, pointing is bad...... :thumbsup: Budget cuts could be blow dryers........ :dopeslap:

LIDAR is in use by an officer in a plain wrapper, slick top white Crown Vic on both directions of SR4 in CoCo County. Only the door is marked with the CHP insignia.

On the east coast, we call it running "laser". :D

Slight hijack/ question for you LEO guys- does that LIDAR have to be sitting still or is that thing smart enough to work while you're moving?

The LTI 20/20 I use has to be aimed and it can only be used while stationary. I have to put the thing up to my face and use a viewfinder to put the red aiming dot on your bumper.

This is what it looks like.

http://www.lasertech.com/

You have to be stationary. But the good thing is there isn't any question which car you're getting a speed on. A 12 year old can do it.

You have to be stationary. But the good thing is there isn't any question which car you're getting a speed on. A 12 year old can do it.

That accuracy is also a big plus when you testify. Pretty much a slam dunk when you get a laser stub. The digital readout takes a snapshot of your speed and the exact distance at the moment your speed was checked. I routinely grab speeds of vehicles 1000' away. I have time step out in the road and hand flag them over. Most drivers wake up from their slumber and never know what hit them. Laser also seldom pings the detectors.

"use a viewfinder to put the red aiming dot on your bumper"

What do you aim at on a motorcycle?

Center mass, usually around the headlight area.

Also LIDAR/Laser good tool for boom box enforcement here in the Great State of Florida. Like Box state it gives distance and in Florida you can not have your music more than 25 feet. But loud pipes OK........... :dopeslap:

John, check out F.S.S. 316.293(5)b......case law doesn't require any noise meter on this one neither does the statutory language. Good stuff.

Upheld by state appeals court.. State vs. Werner

Also LIDAR/Laser good tool for boom box enforcement here in the Great State of Florida. Like Box state it gives distance and in Florida you can not have your music more than 25 feet. But loud pipes OK........... :dopeslap:

Maybe thats because most LEO's ride Hardleys.

David

John, check out F.S.S. 316.293(5)b......case law doesn't require any noise meter on this one neither does the statutory language. Good stuff.

Upheld by state appeals court.. State vs. Werner

(b) No person shall operate a motor vehicle upon the highways of the state with an exhaust system or noise-abatement device so modified.

What cop, me too, knows what an exhaust system or noise-abatement device so modified. Can I get the trucks and cars with flow masters??????? Grey area.

Maybe thats because most LEO's ride Hardleys.

David

True that.

I see a market here for a nonreflective headlight shield. Perhaps a thin mist of dull paint applied to one of the velcro-attached protective shields already in use. Hmmm . . . :clap::grin:

Pilgrim

I purchased a TPX radar detector about 6 months ago, and was ready to send it back due to it's lack of detection on the CHP's in my area!

It was also about that time I began to notice the speed traps they had set up on an overpass at the exit I take to work. One officer parked at the top would shoot the southbound traffic while 4 CHP B&W's were lined up on the onramp to nab the speeders.

My wife had a radar detector in her car for two years and it used to scream out plenty of advance warning before any oncoming CHP. I finally placed the TPX into her car beside her unit, and they both were silent! I was relieved my new toy seemed to be inactive for a reason.

The TPX does work fine when a cruiser with active radar passes by... They just seem to be far and few between these days!

I was glad to read about Lidar's need to be stationary - I was wondering if they were capable of being used while mobile.

WyreNut

Speed trap??? We are not trapping anybody. It is "speed enforcement". :grin:

Some radar units have an instant on and off button. Meaning off there is no radar signal and your radar detector does not go off.

Some radar units have an instant on and off button. Meaning off there is no radar signal and your radar detector does not go off.

And if your radar detector is off, you see a police cruiser, and suddenly your detector is full on, it means they got you :/

I purchased a TPX radar detector about 6 months ago, and was ready to send it back due to it's lack of detection on the CHP's in my area!

It was also about that time I began to notice the speed traps they had set up on an overpass at the exit I take to work. One officer parked at the top would shoot the southbound traffic while 4 CHP B&W's were lined up on the onramp to nab the speeders.

My wife had a radar detector in her car for two years and it used to scream out plenty of advance warning before any oncoming CHP. I finally placed the TPX into her car beside her unit, and they both were silent! I was relieved my new toy seemed to be inactive for a reason.

The TPX does work fine when a cruiser with active radar passes by... They just seem to be far and few between these days!

I was glad to read about Lidar's need to be stationary - I was wondering if they were capable of being used while mobile.

WyreNut

Speed traps are illegal in California...

40801. No peace officer or other person shall use a speed trap in

arresting, or participating or assisting in the arrest of, any person

for any alleged violation of this code nor shall any speed trap be

used in securing evidence as to the speed of any vehicle for the

purpose of an arrest or prosecution under this code.

A trap is a device to lure an unsuspecting person (or creature) into being "caught" using some type of bait or enticement.

When you see a professional law enforcement officer enforcing the speed limit which is well posted, well known and hasn't suddenly dropped drastically....they are enforceing the law not "trapping" anyone.

I drive several thousands of miles a year and havn't been trapped since I was 16 years old, but then again, I know the speed limits on the roads I drive everyday and don't travel in a manner to make me look like an appealing target.

And if your radar detector is off, you see a police cruiser, and suddenly your detector is full on, it means they got you :/

And you can tell which vehicle have detectors, when that front end goes down as the unit. radar/laser is used :thumbsup:

I used to go to the Green Bay Police auction for bicycles and misc. stuff. There were always a handful of radar detectors auctioned off, and the officer/auctioneer for the day would say, "Folks these things don't work and are a waste of money." But folks went right on and bought them anyway.

I used to go to the Green Bay Police auction for bicycles and misc. stuff. There were always a handful of radar detectors auctioned off, and the officer/auctioneer for the day would say, "Folks these things don't work and are a waste of money." But folks went right on and bought them anyway.

They are great for officers using radar that is constantly on, but now days that is numbered. Most have laser/lidar or radar with instant on mode. So you detector will only go off when you are busted.

They are great for officers using radar that is constantly on, but now days that is numbered. Most have laser/lidar or radar with instant on mode. So you detector will only go off when you are busted.

Or when they are trying to bust the vehicle in front of you and the scatter is picked up.

I think California is in such terrible financial trouble that the terminator governor asked the departments to raise more of their own operating capital, via increased tickets. New and higher quotas to meet.

I think California is in such terrible financial trouble that the terminator governor asked the departments to raise more of their own operating capital, via increased tickets. New and higher quotas to meet.

Damn, he's on to us... :eek:

I see a market here for a nonreflective headlight shield. Perhaps a thin mist of dull paint applied to one of the velcro-attached protective shields already in use. Hmmm . . . :clap::grin:

Pilgrim

Why stop there? In addition to products like "Veil" there are a number of laser jammers available. Of course, getting caught with jamming equipment in California is a somewhat more serious offense than speeding...

BTW nobody's safe until they invent a visual speed estimation jammer. The LIDAR/RADAR is only used for confirmation of visually estimated speed. In other words, any POST certified RADAR/LIDAR operator in California could give you a ticket without using RADAR or LIDAR.

Archived