IGNORED

Painted Rock AZ

AZKomet

I decided that I needed to put some miles on my new GSA this morning. I left Phoenix south on I-10 and cut through the town of Maricopa via SR 347 and then to SR 238 that winds behind the Sierra Estrella Mtn. range.

From there it was through Gila Bend via SR 85 and west onto I-8 14 miles west of Gila bend I hit Painted Rock road. Go North for about 11 miles and then to the Painted Rock State Park.

Now this place is desolate. The GSA performed well and I had no complaints of anything until I forgot to turn the ABS off when I got onto the dirt road!! HELLLLOOO!!!! :lurk:

Anyway the rocks are painted as the name states. Noboby knows for sure who did these but speculation is the Hohokam tribes around 1100 A.D. Although the area has been inhabited for 12,000 years and some scientist believe it was the Mayan culture at times who influenced the locals? Who knows??

The odd thing about the painted rocks is that there are 2 mounds about 20" high and 100 feet across and only one is painted or petroglyphed to a degree of amazing proportions. The hill on the left or to the west is untouched. Many theories abound saying the east hill is where life is b/c of the sunrise?

This was no accident and the records of drawings are quite complex. The infinity sign, constellations and other celestial objects can be seen if one has the time to stare at the hundreds of rock art drawings.

There are two interesting items of mention if you happen to go. During the winter /summer solstice there is a dagger of light that pierces the heart of a human (?) figure. Now this was does with purpose and I have seen it in the winter equinox usually 12-20-21 around 1325 hrs. The dagger of light slowly creeps across the table plane and right into the center of the heart of the intended subject. Look close and you can see a small "cave" with a human figure in it. Below it there is a beam of light not yet (but very soon) resembling the dagger.

Another odd feature is a very large rock placed in position on top of two other large rocks. No big deal you say...well there is a "tuning fork" carved into the rock and if one were to lightly tap the elevated rock it rings like a bell. Interesting....how did they know that?

The area is right next to the Butterfield Stage Coach lines that had upwards of 147 stops where passengers could stretch their legs and new mules/horses would be changed out for the weary. The stage went from St. Lois to San Francisco but was halted at the beginning of the civil war.

Enjoy...there is a slideshow option to the top right. Cursor to the bottom allows for contrast and speed options.

http://www.zenfolio.com/azkomet/p329744479/home.aspx

I decided that I needed to put some miles on my new GSA this morning. I left Phoenix south on I-10 and cut through the town of Maricopa via SR 347 and then to SR 238 that winds behind the Sierra Estrella Mtn. range.

From there it was through Gila Bend via SR 85 and west onto I-8 14 miles west of Gila bend I hit Painted Rock road. Go North for about 11 miles and then to the Painted Rock State Park.

Now this place is desolate. The GSA performed well and I had no complaints of anything until I forgot to turn the ABS off when I got onto the dirt road!! HELLLLOOO!!!! :lurk:

Anyway the rocks are painted as the name states. Noboby knows for sure who did these but speculation is the Hohokam tribes around 1100 A.D. Although the area has been inhabited for 12,000 years and some scientist believe it was the Mayan culture at times who influenced the locals? Who knows??

The odd thing about the painted rocks is that there are 2 mounds about 20" high and 100 feet across and only one is painted or petroglyphed to a degree of amazing proportions. The hill on the left or to the west is untouched. Many theories abound saying the east hill is where life is b/c of the sunrise?

This was no accident and the records of drawings are quite complex. The infinity sign, constellations and other celestial objects can be seen if one has the time to stare at the hundreds of rock art drawings.

There are two interesting items of mention if you happen to go. During the winter /summer solstice there is a dagger of light that pierces the heart of a human (?) figure. Now this was does with purpose and I have seen it in the winter equinox usually 12-20-21 around 1325 hrs. The dagger of light slowly creeps across the table plane and right into the center of the heart of the intended subject. Look close and you can see a small "cave" with a human figure in it. Below it there is a beam of light not yet (but very soon) resembling the dagger.

Another odd feature is a very large rock placed in position on top of two other large rocks. No big deal you say...well there is a "tuning fork" carved into the rock and if one were to lightly tap the elevated rock it rings like a bell. Interesting....how did they know that?

The area is right next to the Butterfield Stage Coach lines that had upwards of 147 stops where passengers could stretch their legs and new mules/horses would be changed out for the weary. The stage went from St. Lois to San Francisco but was halted at the beginning of the civil war.

Enjoy...there is a slideshow option to the top right. Cursor to the bottom allows for contrast and speed options.

http://www.zenfolio.com/azkomet/p329744479/home.aspx

Sounds interesting Dave. Is there a way to see the pics without creating a Zenfolio account and logging in?

Jan

Yeah, not working for me either. I even tried creating a fake visitor account (U:bmwst p:bmwbmw - try it) and it still won't let me in.

Reading through things, I think you've gotta somehow set up a presentation...

But what do I know? I've never heard of zenfolio before today.

Thought I remembered a previous ZenFolio tale, so I did a search and found it. But it was Dave's (Azkomet's) trip to Nepal, so I guess he knows about that. Anyway, that still works, so it can be done.

Jan

www.zenfolio.com:80/AZKomet/p329744479/home.aspx

If this doesn't work....I am going to have to go there again tomorrow!!!!

Seriously, when I click on it the link it works fine. Zenfolio works great..or at least it did. Too many pics to post here.

Seriously, when I click on it the link it works fine.

Nope :cry:

Seriously, when I click on it the link it works fine.

Nope :cry:

ARGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, in looking at the new rules for Zenfolio. Looks like an EMAIL ONLY invite has been instituted and the link will no longer be able to direct one to the site...geeez. Looks like another host is gonna need to be found!! Did I say I hate ELECTRONIC crap!!!!!!

I just tried it and it looks like you are going to get to take another trip because it wanted me to log in too! I sure would like to see the pictures, I like pictures! :clap:

Archived