IGNORED

Yes, I need new shocks - R1200ST questions

jaytee

So, as I mentioned in my post "Is my shock wearing out??? R1200ST" , I suspected that my shock was bad. Well, in order to eliminate other potential issues, a buddy of mine helped me set the sag and while doing that he noticed a slight rebound even at max damping. We tested wit hthe damping set at min and at max and althoguh it was better at max, it still did not damp the rebound of the spring.

Sooo.... I guess you all were right saying I need a new rear shock. So that brings up a bunch of questions....

1. Are Ohlins my only real choice? I can't seem to find any Wilbers importers anymore.

2. Are Ohlins rebuildable?

3. Is it worth the $700 to get a new front shock assembly as well at the same time?

4. Are there any retailers that are better than others as far as gettign the spring right the first time and whatnot?

Any help is sppreciated.

JT

There are several choices - all of which are rebuildable except stock shocks.

1) Stock shocks (lets face it, not really an option)

2) Ohlins (there are several good places, but I've heard good things about hardracing.com. There's a place in So Cal that's good, but I cannot for the life of me remember it off the top of my head. Someone else will remember.)

3) Wilbers (Max BMW are the importers)

4) Hyperpro (Klaus does these - the guy that used to import Wilbers. I've never heard anyone complain about him overall. He sent me a quote last year and they have two models - with and without low/high speed compression damping for front and rear. The ones without were surprisingly inexpensive.)

There are others that probably could be used (Elka, Works, WP) but I don't know anything about them for sure.

If I were buying today, I'd probably talk to Hard Racing or Klaus. I've had a good experience with Max BMW in the past, but I'm still bitter about Wilber's handling of Klaus and his business...

Oh, and yes, get both front and rear at the same time if you can swing it.

Ted Porter BMW has Ohlins and Wilber shocks,,Talk to Ted,,,Im putting Wilbers on my 07 RT,,,,And yes,,Go with a set,,Not just 1,,,After you get them set up to where you like it,,Youll be saying,What took me so long :dopeslap:

Thanks for the replies so far...

Nobby, I had 14,000 miles on the shocks.

10ovr, Why did you decide to go with Wilbers instead of Ohins?

JT

I think it a better shock,,But thats just me,,,We just put on set on Howard's bike (Philly Flash)He loves them,,Like I said Call ted and ask him all the questions you want,,He has been setting up bikes for a long time,,No hard sell ether,,

Having read your first post, & having read multiple posts on this subject, I'd say the time to replace stock shocks is the day you bring the bike home.

I think it's pathetic that BMW puts third world suspension on an otherwise fine motorcycle. KTM puts high end suspenders on their bikes, & they're in the same relative price range as BMW. Pathetic, I say.

As to your question about whether to spend the money on a front shock as well.

Would you only replace the rear shocks in your car? If the rear shocks are worn out, why would the fronts be any better? Can you imagine what a spongy front, with a tight rear, could cause? :grin:

Car or bike, shocks get replaced all around at the same time.

Give Kyle Racing a call, Dan will take good care of you, and fix you up with the right springs based on your info. His pricing is quite competitive as well.
THAT's the place I couldn't remember...
Ted Porter BMW has Ohlins and Wilber shocks,,Talk to Ted,,,Im putting Wilbers on my 07 RT,,,,And yes,,Go with a set,,Not just 1,,,After you get them set up to where you like it,,Youll be saying,What took me so long :dopeslap:

I took the ESA shocks off my R1200RT and put on a set of Wilbers a month ago from Ted Porter. I had 7,000 miles on the bike. I tried all the variations on the ESA, but the bike was either too stiff or too soft and pogo'd. Never just right.

The difference with the Wilbers is amazing.

I only waited a few months after I got the bike to change over to the Wilbers. I wish I would have done it sooner.

Ok then... I talked to HardRacing.com and to Ted at Ted's BMW. Hardracing will sell me a set of Ohlins for $699 rear, $635 front both shipped for $1360.

Ted will sell me the same Ohlins for almost $200 more or he will sell me Wilbers for $1510 (I get an 8% screw 'cause I'm in CA with him).

Hardracing is clearly a drop-ship discount house, however, which helps in the price department but doesn't include the excellent pre-sale customer service that Ted has given so far.

I'm leaning towards the Wilbers due to a West Coast distributor (Ted), the superior service and.... they are blue! (color always matters ;)

I was also interested in the Hyperpro stuff, but I couldnt get anyone to return my calls or e-mails so far.

I guess I have to bite the bullet and get two shocks although the price seems really steep. I can knock $239 off the Wilbers price if I am willing to forgo the remote pre-load setting.

So... Since I don't ride 2-up very much (and never on a trip) is it worth $240 to have a remote preload control?

JT

PM PhillyFlash and see what set up he went with,I dont think he got the remote preload control,,,,,,1500 bucks is a lot of money,,Make sure you get what you want,,,

I got (shortened) Wilbers for my wife's RT with no remote preload. Don't think it's necessary. She loves the ride and I've been known to steal her bike for a ride to compare to different ESA settings on mine. We have a section of frost heave cement freeway that just scrambles my brain on my ESA version and runs smooth as silk with hers. Can't speak for Ohlins but have heard good things - but really like the Wibers.

bog, Can you change the preload on her bike without removing the shock? That is my main concern about not gettign the remote preload adjuster.

JT

bog, Can you change the preload on her bike without removing the shock? That is my main concern about not gettign the remote preload adjuster.

JT

JT- get the adjuster. It makes it sooo much easier to keep correct ride height with varying tour loads both 1 up and 2 up. You have one easy to select setting for loaded on the freeway and a quick no-tool change when the bags come off for highway 191...

JT

JT- get the adjuster. It makes it sooo much easier to keep correct ride height with varying tour loads both 1 up and 2 up. You have one easy to select setting for loaded on the freeway and a quick no-tool change when the bags come off for highway 191...

You dont need a tool to adjust the welber,,Big hand knob at bottom of shock,,Only thing is you have to put you hand between the frame and x/pipe,,to adjust,,It can be done with out burning your self,,,,

A little off topic but if you watched all of the Long Way Down you saw that the guys replaced the stock shocks on their GS's with ohlins and they all failed. I've always heard great things about ohlins but one set failed very early in the trip. What's up?

A little off topic but if you watched all of the Long Way Down you saw that the guys replaced the stock shocks on their GS's with ohlins and they all failed. I've always heard great things about ohlins but one set failed very early in the trip. What's up?

Lots of weight and really, really bad roads.

You dont need a tool to adjust the welber,,Big hand knob at bottom of shock,,Only thing is you have to put you hand between the frame and x/pipe,,to adjust,,It can be done with out burning your self,,,,

Bog,

I called Ted today and asked him about that... he said the knob you are talking about is for damping adjustment but that the preload has to be set manually with spanner wrench at the top of the shock and that it is nearly impossible to do wit hthe shock onthe bike :(

I'm having to make a decision about whether or not to get the front and rear shocks without remote preload or get jsut the rear with the remote adjuster...

Tough decision.

JT

IMHO...remote preload is heaven. Without it you'll find yourself living with an improper setting just because finding the right setting is a PITA. If you're going to spend money on premium suspension, go all the way so you can set it up correctly.

Sounds like remote preload is what would be better for you. From memory Wilbers Germany sent some sample pictures of just where they would mount the remote on your bike. They responded to an email (link on their site) within 24 hours.

Ken.

I have the Wilbers on my st front and rear. Go with the Wilbers, you will not be disapointed. The remote preload is very easy to get to as is all of the other adjustments. With Wilbers you get the quality and performance of an Ohlins and get a custom built shock made for you. If you order an ohlins you get the off the shelf shock and then have to tailor to you.

Well...

It's done, sort of...

I ordered the back shock, Wilbers with the remote preload controller for $790 + shipping and handling comes to ~$870.

I did *not* order the front shock mailny because of money. It is still performing adequately, althoguh it will be on my short list for the next bike purchase. I also ordered my next set of tires (the PR2's are worn out) which will be BT-016's

Hopefully I will be proved to have gotten the right combination when all is said and done. It came down to not getting the front or not getting the remote preload controller. I think I'd rather look long term and get what I would rather have a year from now.

JT

I have a 2008 with less than 2000 miles ......going Ohlins had them on a 2006 for 40,000 miles....well worth the cash...... stock shocks for sale ........

do like the non wizzy brakes better .....Gar

Archived