IGNORED

Where to put Heat Troller?

Sea Dog

Hi All,

I am new to this board and am really enjoying and learning from your posts. I bought a 2007 R1200RT a few months ago and this will be my first winter with my new best friend. Love this bike!

With the time for using heated gear right around the corner, I was wondering where people put their heat troller while riding. This is my first year on an RT (and BMW!) and using a BMW socket. Last year on my VFR I just wadded up the box and all the wires and shoved it in my left pocket. I really hate doing this and would like to figure out something better with the RT.

Any suggestions?

Julie

I have mine velcroed to the side of my gas tank so it is out of the way but easy to reach. In the spring I remove the velcro and clean the area to make sure there is no paint damage. Then next fall I will install new velcro. Not the best solution, but it works great for me.

Hi All,

I am new to this board and am really enjoying and learning from your posts. I bought a 2007 R1200RT a few months ago and this will be my first winter with my new best friend. Love this bike!

With the time for using heated gear right around the corner, I was wondering where people put their heat troller while riding. This is my first year on an RT (and BMW!) and using a BMW socket. Last year on my VFR I just wadded up the box and all the wires and shoved it in my left pocket. I really hate doing this and would like to figure out something better with the RT.

Any suggestions?

Julie

If it's a Gerbing Temp Controller, there's a small leather pouch w/clip that Gerbing sells. The part # for the leather pouch a single Temp Controller is RCC. For the dual it's RDCC. The clip on each of these leather cases lets you secure your Temp Controller to a belt, a pocket edge, or any other exposed edge.

If you have a HeatTroller from Warm n'Safe or Powerlet, you're probably going to have to Velcro it to something. I have heard, however, that if you heat the leather on a Gerbing RCC, you can get it to stretch enough to get a WS HeatTroller into the pouch. But I've never done it.

Hope this helps.

Gerbing also makes a permanent controller.

I mounted mine on the left hand side of the fairing as I do not have a radio.

The module i taped to the tank and then ran the power wire to my fuse panel and the suit connection lead under the seat and sticks up by the front of the seat for easy hook up.

I use two velcro strips about six inches long, the kind made to wrap around a cord to hold it. That I put together across the slots on the rack for the tank bag closest to the rider. Places the controller right in front of you, easy to see and adjust, plug in and unplug, etc. Much easier than having it clipped to the jacket for adjusting temp.

ShovelStrokeEd

Top of my left thigh. Velcro sewn to the pants, and glued to the back of the temp controller. Comes standard on the 'stitch but I have modified other pants in a similar fashion.

I have it here...

399729307_WB8tH-M.jpg

399729341_isHPo-M.jpg

This same controller was mounted at this location on my prior R1100RT. Just reach down between your legs and adjust the heat :/

I put mine in the side pocket of my tank bags with the dial sticking out (zip the zipper almost shut so all one sees is the end of the control knob). I do this on both bikes as it makes it easy to transfer from one to the other. For the rear seat driver, I mount it on velcro to the top of the left saddle bag.

I have it here...

399729307_WB8tH-M.jpg

399729341_isHPo-M.jpg

This same controller was mounted at this location on my prior R1100RT. Just reach down between your legs and adjust the heat :/

+1 --- Same place on the last 3 MC's I've owned.

Hi All,

Any suggestions?

Julie

Julie, my heat troller is in a Gerbings case that has a little belt clip on it.. That clip is just the right size to snap on a “D” ring on the L/H front of my riding coat (just above the belt).. That way it is usable on any of my bikes at any time,, easily seen,, easily adjusted while riding, the wires are pre run to my coat or vest prior to getting on the bike so it is a simple plug in to the BMW power port.. Just seems to work out nicely for me it that location..

Twisty

I have it here...

399729307_WB8tH-M.jpg

399729341_isHPo-M.jpg

I had my control there on my LT,,Got hit head on,,Nuts meet controller, :cry: Trust me,,Not a good place for it if you want to have kids,,,,,,
I have it here...

399729307_WB8tH-M.jpg

399729341_isHPo-M.jpg

I had my control there on my LT,,Got hit head on,,Nuts meet controller, :cry: Trust me,,Not a good place for it if you want to have kids,,,,,,

I got hit head on also with this unit on the prior bike and had no issues with my nuts :grin: I went up and over the bike. In a direct frontal impact I would think even the bare tank is going to leave you with a severe limp.

I saw it coming,,Just laid down on the tank and held on,,Let the front end take all the force,,She hit me at 30 mph,,Lost control,,Pushed me into the truck behind me,,My nuts were the only thing that got it,,,I dont think the tank would have hurt as much as that controller did,,

Thanks for all the great ideas!

Since I don't have 2 things that most of you guys have:

1. A belt on my jacket

2. Nuts

I think I'm gonna try kitsap's setup :thumbsup:

Maybe eventually trying the permanent mounted troller, but my portable is only 2 years old and I haven't decided whether to keep my second bike yet.

Cheers,

Julie

1. A belt on my jacket

2. Nuts

Sorry to hear that..What happened to yours? :(

1. A belt on my jacket

2. Nuts

Um... Billy...

Oh, nevermind..........

1. A belt on my jacket

2. Nuts

Um... Billy...

Oh, nevermind..........

Now thats funny,,,I think that no one ever had that talk with Billy,, :dopeslap:

Archived