IGNORED

Newbie with a problem 04 R1150RT

Commanderkewl

Commanderkewl

)4 with 10k, I got out on her this weekend and opened it up.. No crazy stuff, not even to the redline..A 50 yr old guy enjoying the ride... Well, anyway as i am at about 6k on the rpm's, the bike changes its note or sound... It goes baritone and really sounds good, but it aint right..

I slow down and stop... now she has a clunk clunk sound and if i pull in the clutch, the clunk clunk -it goes away, but the bike sputters and has a backfire.. Very lethargic going, even tho' if you give it the throttle and run it past the 4k it is moving well.

Could this be the cam tensioner I have read about?

I don't see how the cam chain tensioner would be involved. The backfire and sputtering sound like what happens when a throttle body pops out of its boot, but the clunk clunk does not fit that scenario.

Could be 2 issues, so I would check to see if both throttle bodies are seated in the boots to the intake side of their respective heads. The clunk clunk sounds like clutch/input shaft issue, but maybe it is the TB bouncing around. Good Luck!

)4 with 10k, I got out on her this weekend and opened it up.. No crazy stuff, not even to the redline..A 50 yr old guy enjoying the ride... Well, anyway as i am at about 6k on the rpm's, the bike changes its note or sound... It goes baritone and really sounds good, but it aint right..

...Could this be the cam tensioner I have read about?

When you heard the noise change, did you note a change in performance? Any roughness appear, anything?

And forget the cam tensioner thing.

Andy

Commanderkewl

I think your suggestions are an excellent start. As far as the performance, it felt as if I had unleashed a few horses when the noise started at half throttle.

When the bike gets back to zero MPH and trying to move, the Idle is very rough and it back fires.

I am leaning towards the throttle boot coming off as well.

THis is a kewl site and I look forward to making more friends.

I will keep in touch as I said earlier.

What good is it to get suggestions and not let people know how or if their diagnosis was correct?

Information is everything!

Commanderkewl

Well Well Well,, alrighty then- You guys steered me in the right direction, thats what I would say.

Lets see, Work was canceled and I went home instead of going back to apartment across town...I got home and there she was-- all sad and such..

So.. I started taking all the Tupperware off and Lo and behold..It was not a boot.. But and I mean BUT, I noticed the cabling attached to the throttle bodies were not going together.. the left side wasnt going at all..

It seems that the cable got off the cam and was just laying there, meaning I was only feeding one jug.

As soon as my brother looped it back on, and I started it, hum was now the sound from the motor..

YES thanks so much for helping me narrow this down,, I guess in my "enthusiasm" of throttling up and off, the cable slipped off the cam..

AGAIN -- THANKS so much and as I said, I DID let you guys know how this ended as I wanted to make darn sure that your suggestions were a great start ( and to be truthfull- I was more than a little apprehensive about removing the tupperware off)

I even was able to put the girl back together without so much as an extra screw left and all the holes taken care of.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

HAVING THIS SITE IS just icing on the cake!

YOU LADIES AND GENTS ROCK!!

Anton Largiader

I can honestly say I have NEVER heard of that happening. I wonder if the cable holder on that throttle body is misaligned, or some similar issue exists. Why wouldn't it happen again? This should be impossible to recreate, no matter what you do with the throttle.

Commanderkewl

Hey again, it DID just happen again. It looks like I will need to compare the cable alignment a little closer. Maybe the cable for some reason is not retracting as quickly as it should.

This time it happened as before, meaning that when I shifted (throttle down) and then got back on the throttle, there it happened again. At least I know where to look this time.

So a misalignment on the cable holder - I will look into it. This time I will try to post a pic to show what I see.

I'll Be - never thought that would happen either- at least not again....

I will let ya know- once more..

Mike

Commanderkewl, make sure the TBI cam isn’t contacting something at wide open throttle.. I have seen one other BMW oil head do as yours is doing (cable coming off the cam) & that was caused by the TBI cam hanging on the spark plug wire at almost wide open throttle..

I’m not sure if the derailment was solely caused by the cam hanging in the open position or a combination of the cam hanging open as the cable slackened & also the cable itself getting displaced slightly by the errant spark plug wire..

Cycle the throttle system to WOT a few times (engine off of course) as you watch the cable & cam for contact & sticking..

Twisty

Archived