IGNORED

New RoadSmarts = Dropped Bike

Perlova

As the originator of this thread, I want to thank everyone for a spirited discussion.

I have learned the following:

1) Nobody really knows why new tires may be more slippery out of the box.

2) The manufacturers may or may not know why this happens. Nor are they admitting to a problem or are interested in fixing the problem.

3) It therefore falls upon the rider to be aware of this issue (and about a thousand other issues dealing with traction) and to exercise caution when riding on new tires.

Thanks to everyone for being reasonable and civil through this entire thread.

Now a little bit of metal filler, a little bit of paint and a new piece of mirror glass. On second thought, maybe I'll leave the cracked mirror to remind me to be careful.

As the originator of this thread, I want to thank everyone for a spirited discussion.

I have learned the following:

1) Nobody really knows why new tires may be more slippery out of the box.

2) The manufacturers may or may not know why this happens. Nor are they admitting to a problem or are interested in fixing the problem.

3) It therefore falls upon the rider to be aware of this issue (and about a thousand other issues dealing with traction) and to exercise caution when riding on new tires.

Thanks to everyone for being reasonable and civil through this entire thread.

Now a little bit of metal filler, a little bit of paint and a new piece of mirror glass. On second thought, maybe I'll leave the cracked mirror to remind me to be careful.

Perlova, you're not alone here. I spent years with Bridgestone and motorsports was my main focus. Even the best professional drivers would spin and lose control on the stickiest tires we could give them. We never knew what caused this because of all the elements to the final result. Track (surface) temperature, ambient temperature, tire pressure, track condition (sand, oil),

power application, gearing choice, track/lane position, tread compound and weather just to name a few. All of these variables on new tires can change how a vehicle responds and rides/drives. The most important thing is that you were not injured. Machine are metal and plastic and can be repaired. I just glad to see you're OK.

Take care and ride safe................

Archived