fuel / temp gauge on 1200 RT

ChuckS

OK, so my temp and fuel gauges are just not close. Temp is usally off by some 8-10 degrees and fuel gauge shows 20 miles left to go and I can only put 5 gal in. I am thinking that with the cost of the bike BMW sure ought to be able to fix these. Has any body had experance that shows they will / can? Should I demand or ignore? eek.gif

class action time? dont they charge extra for the onboard computer (even if its not really optional but shipped on all the bikes)? if so, seems like we ought to get satisfaction - and add the oil sensor to the list thumbsup.gif

doubt the dealers can do much about it...

*just kidding about the class action - although it peeves me they can get away with this, it none of the onboard computer functionality was a selling point for me...

Have the 1200RT and my Temp gauge is off by 8-10 degrees also. It kind of make the outside temperature feature worthless. I guess you can just add 10 when you look at the temp and you should be within a degree or two. In my book NOT ACCEPTABLE on a $20,000 bike.

It's really hard on a bike to find a point to locate an outside temp sensor that's accurate. There are too many sources of heat coming off the bike and the rest of the it is effected by sitting in the sun, heat coming up off the pavement, etc. I've never seen one that was truly accurate on any bike. Blame BMW for trying if you want, but it's really more the nature of the environment the bike is operating in than anything.

ISFA the fuel gage, a 20 mile margin seems about right. Think of how mad you would be if it ran dry when it still showed 20 miles left?

Good points. I would tend to think that temp gauges on cars are correct so should bikes..??.. As to the tank, with a 7 gal tank, I wouls assume that it would take more like 6 to 6 1/2 gal leaving 20 -25 miles when reported as empty. I am wondering about other 1200 RT owners, and if the other BMWs are the same?

As to the tank, with a 7 gal tank, I wouls assume that it would take more like 6 to 6 1/2 gal leaving 20 -25 miles when reported as empty. I am wondering about other 1200 RT owners, and if the other BMWs are the same?

I've noticed the same thing..With the computer showing ZERO miles left (and riding ~20 miles), the bike only would take 6.1 gallons.. BMW Dealer states tank "really isn't 7.1 gallons, according to company rep, but rep doesn't have a real figure.. It remains to have someone ride one until it stops, and then re-fill the tank to see the usable total..Any one got time to experiment?

Craig

I have the same problems. My opinion is: a vehicle with 4 wheels parked next to a vehicle with 2 wheels and both having a thermometer should both show the same reading. I don`t buy the `a motorcycle is different from a car` theory, when it applies to this subject.

Rod

ShovelStrokeEd

You can, over time, get a pretty good idea of how much fuel you have remainging by just riding further and further into the warning light. The low fuel warning is supposed to come on with 4 liters left. Given that, you should be able to run 30 some miles into a warning. Be consistant in how you fill the bike and keep recording how much fuel it takes for each fill up.

FWIW, my 1100S has no fuel gauge whatever, I get a feeble little green? light on the speedo. Depending on how I ride, I get a warning at between 140 and 157 miles. I have ridden 193 miles on that 157 mile warning and the bike took 4.6 gallons. Nominal is 4.7 but I think it actually will hold a bit more. My tank shape is a bit different than an RT's though and I might have more usable fuel. Ditto the GS Adventure although the miles are more like 275 and 320 there.

I understand that it is hard to find a spot but if it is as you describe the temperature would read higher than it is. Mine reads 8-10 degrees lower than it actually is. If it were a placement issue for the sensor it would be higher not lower. Bottom line if they can't make it work right what is the point of putting it on the bike. Not trying to be picky but once again this is a $20,000 bike we are talking about not a $4,000 Honda. Not that Hondas are bad by any means but for the money there is just no excuse. As far as I am conderned the temp gauge is worthless.

Have the 1200RT and my Temp gauge is off by 8-10 degrees also. It kind of make the outside temperature feature worthless. I guess you can just add 10 when you look at the temp and you should be within a degree or two. In my book NOT ACCEPTABLE on a $20,000 bike.
I think we need a marketing Yoda on this site as well as our riding Yoda(s) thumbsup.gif....

Price is related to percieved desirability and scarcity and perhaps to a (much) lesser extent to cost of production. You notice there was no mention of quality in that last sentence. Yeah, it would be nice if all this stuff worked right, and if we all got a nice toolkit and a little flashlight under the stereo lid cover and the seat was comfy and the horn didn't cut out after leaning on it for 5 seconds. However, I am never thinking of any of those deficiencies when riding through a canyon. Well, maybe the seat... grin.gif

Co

So I guess if you bought a Bentley and the power windows, radio, and rear defrost did not work, you would not care because the car rode so nice. There is no excuse. At 20K the BMW is pretty much the Bentley of motorcycles. Everything should work exactly as it should, no exceptions. Not well it rides great so I don't care if the horn cuts out, or temp gauge is off, or anything else. If they can't make it work right don't put it on the bike.

ShovelStrokeEd

At 20K the BMW is the el cheapo of touring bikes. Priced a loaded Gold Wing? Priced a HD Ultra Classic?

My first new BMW was $3200 when the Honda I bought that year was $1395. It has been ever thus. Who the hell cares about a temperature gauge. You sweating? Its hot. Shivering? Its cold.

I will agree that 20K for a weather station that was off a few degrees would piss me off, on a motorcycle? It just doesn't matter. The only important readout on the whole bike is the odometer. The rest is just smoke and mirrors.

So I guess if you bought a Bentley and the power windows, radio, and rear defrost did not work, you would not care because the car rode so nice. There is no excuse. At 20K the BMW is pretty much the Bentley of motorcycles. Everything should work exactly as it should, no exceptions. Not well it rides great so I don't care if the horn cuts out, or temp gauge is off, or anything else. If they can't make it work right don't put it on the bike.
Actually, I have yet to drice a car that had a truly accurate fuel gauge. Usually the first half tank lasts for 75% of the miles and the second half drains down rapidly. And the RT temp gauge isn't that bad (covered in a previous thread). And the horn is fine--a 5 second blast is excessive on this one. The oil level sensor is just a dumb idea. The seat is no worse than any stock seat and there is no one size fits all for that.

I was committed to buying the primary engineering and performance aspect of this bike way before I even knew it had all that window dressing. I guess the more important that secondary stuff is to a person the more they might be annoyed with it.

Co

I would tend to think that temp gauges on cars are correct so should bikes..??..
Wrong Chuck. The temp gauge on my Dodge Magnum reads about 4 degrees high. My RT reads about 4 degrees low. Both consistantly read either high or low so doing either subtraction or addition I know what the local temp is.

As for the fuel gauge, I challenge anyone to take, say two identical Chevys and see if the fuel gauges are identical. I bet they are not. No vehicle is. It is impossible when mass producing something to make them identical. Especially when many of the parts you are putting on the bike you are assembling are made by someone else.

So, here's my answer (opinion) on your original question Chuck. Ignore.

Chuck, my suggestion is find a friend with an LT and ride with him thumbsup.gif. Seriously, the temp gauge on my LT is always pretty close, probably because they located the sensor in the front of the bike, above the fender and below the front fairing. I've noticed when my wife is along on her 1200RT, she's always about 5 degrees too cool (the bike temp, not her), so when it's 100 out I always ask her the temp - makes me feel better dopeslap.gif.

No problem so far with the fuel gauge in 5k miles, guess we got lucky there!

So lets see, we've got what every one in the whole industry is saying is the very best performing sport-touring bike ever made by any company, that does virtually everything better than any bike to come before it bar none, and we're torqued because the outside temperature gage is spot on? eek.gif

Man you're one tough customer.

Relax

Chill

Ride

Enjoy.

Thanks for all the input. Just to be clear with you all, I have about 30k into my Harley with no gas gauge and no temp reading either. I wasn't really bi*#hing, just food for thought and discussion. I love the RT, and have been out on the Harley once sicne getting it. I did carve some nice groves into the road with my floor boards that day. bncry.gif

My caddys temp gauge and fuel gauge works fine and just was wondering... if the LT's work why don't the RT's. All in all, I would not opt to be with out it for a day (with out a loaner) to have these fixed/changed. I ride each and every day, mostly. If I have to take the family with me or go to the mecca of the weekend - Home Depot - is about the only time I don't ride.

Again, thanks for all the input, it is fun! thumbsup.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Your mileage may vary...

It remains to have someone ride one until it stops, and then re-fill the tank to see the usable total.

I've been disgusted with the range on my R1200RT. In over 30 documented fill-ups since April I have only been able to add over 5.5 gallons (US), twice, and an average of 4.8 gallons. Thus, my range has been but 210 miles! I was assuming some kind of reasonable accuracy in the BC which implies that I would have 4 liters of gasoline left when the warning light came on.

Yesterday I did the experiment. I carried a gallon of gasoline and rode until the bike stopped.

The warning light came on at 44 miles in the BC. MPG showed 43.5. When the BC got to 0 remaining it just shows "---mls". I continued to ride on secondary roads until the bike stopped, another 54 miles! My range was 289 miles for that tank.

This means my warning was at 99 miles! I think this is WAY TOO SOON!!

Current mileage is 6508, btw.

ShovelStrokeEd

Do that little trick a couple of times more and your milage is going to go way down as your busted fuel pump will no longer deliver any fuel. The pump design used by BMW hates to run dry and will quickly die if it does. Also, the pump is dependent on immersion in the fuel for some of its cooling so running the tank very low is not a really good idea.

Also, fuel range is very sensitive to the manner and level of tank fill. Our bikes are equipped with a filler neck which leaves a gap above its bottom to insure that the evaporative emissions system won't be flooded during over fill. There is nearly 1/2 gallon of empty space up there. Some have drilled holes in the filler neck to enable a higher level.

My S does not have an RID so I rely on the warning light and more to the point my odometer. On my ride up to NJ from Baton Rouge, I misjudged the spacing of fuel stations and wound up riding 40 miles into the warning light at 202 miles on the trip odometer. The silly thing only took 4.5 gallons, leaving me, in theory, 0.3 gallons left. Of course, I was, for most of that, on the Natchez Trace Parkway and thus running under 60 mph for the most part.

Have the 1200RT and my Temp gauge is off by 8-10 degrees also.

Perhaps BMW felt that since their customers' appreciate a speedometer that is off by 8-10 mph maybe we may like the same in a thermometer?

I've got 9200 miles on my RT since April. Many Fillups. I've pushed it well beyond the "---" on the fuel gauge. My best tank yet was 360 miles using 6.8 gallons of gas. That's 55 mph with the cruise locked. Works out to just under 53 mpg. I'm a 300 pounder & ride solo. I get the tank really full by putting in on the center stand, fi;;ing it to the brim slowly, then rocking the bike slightly with the handle bars. I've removed the gas tank plug to fascilitate getting a full tank.

That's 55 mph with the cruise locked

That's great mileage. The only problem is trying to even imagine going 360 miles at 55 mph... grin.gif

LMAO, that was exactly what I was thinking as I was reading. But hey fun comes in different forms to different people thumbsup.gif

BlueBeemerBoy

I guess you can just add 10 when you look at the temp and you should be within a degree or two. In my book NOT ACCEPTABLE on a $20,000 bike.

Yes, I would also tend to say "not acceptable" but you may have to accept it.

I installed a $20 "Made in China" cheepie LCD thermometer on my '04 RT. I mounted the dispaly where the radio readout was supposed to go, and mounted the temperature sensor inside the left mirror housing. It works fantastically, and appears to read on the money, exept perhaps after parking it for sometime and the engine heat or sun heats up the mirror housing. While riding it there is enough air that leaks through to keep radiant heat from affecting the reading.

I have had to tolerate an inaccurate speedometer on my '04 R1150RT (10% too fast) and inaccurate fuel econmy readings on my "03 Toyota Sequoia, that tends to read 10% too optimistically. It's only math, you would think on a $17,000 and $40,000 vehicle respectively they would give you a method to calibrate these devices, otherwise, why bother having them in the first place?

Archived