IGNORED

Packing Tips on RT

DAYnKC

Curious on other riders packing suggestions for solo trips of 3000- 4000 miles???

For example is a sleeping bag best in the top case or strapped on to the seat in a waterproof bag? Is the top case watertight? Helpful hints would be great.

Thanks

Went on a 3500 mile trip on my RT in April. It was my first road trip on it. I was able to fit everything but my sleeping bag and Thermarest in the luggage comfortably. Those two items were bungeed to the rear seat. I put the bag in front of the Thermarest so I could open the trunk lid.

I don't think there's a "best" about packing, only ways that work out better for you or not. And, it's likely no one way works best for all the kinds of traveling one might do.

I'm guessing you're traveling solo, right? But, do you always camp? When you're camping, how much "camping stuff" do you carry. I carry a cubic foot, and that would be better packed differently than 3 or 5 cubic feet. See?

But, anyway... The basis for my packing is to carry riding gear, and things about riding in the side cases. I'm almost always carring two sets of riding gear, either hot and cool, or cold and colder. I carry electronics, maps and stuff, food, extra outer or middle-wear, and other things I'll look into or use frequenly in the top case. I carry stuff I might immediately need when riding in my tank bag: glasses, camera, tools and tape, glass cleaners and such.

On the other hand, if I'm only taking three days of clothing, I won't need as much electronics and stuff, so that can go in the top case - or leave the top case off and stuff in my great Marsee 30L seat bag, either on the seat or on the rack.

Everything else gets strapped on, starting with the seat, then over the side cases, then (hopefully not) on the top case.

If I'm riding solo, my dry bag with clothing changes and such gets bungied to the rear seat using bungee buddies on the side cases. Two-up and one each of those goes atop the side cases.

I don't like to camp, but solo camping and I'll split my bag and tent into separate dry bags with other camping gear and clothing into two bags atop the side cases. Two-up camping and we each get a dry bag for a sleeping bag, some clothes and camping stuff -- I'll offload normal stuff from the top case and use that space for extras.

None of those dispositions is fixed, though where I keep my glass cleaning stuff never seems to change, uh... unless I leave my tank bag home. On the other hand...

Best wishes.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

I rode 200 miles in pouring down rain with the top case "open" (not latched closed dopeslap.gif) and nothing inside got a drop of water on it. I'm not above putting something on the back seat, but if I can get eveything I need in the cases, I'm a happier camper.

Couchrocket

One thing that has helped me is the Coleman storage bags that you "roll the air out of." Even with things like t-shirts, shocks, underware, etc., it cuts down on the space they take up in the side cases. I use small velcro straps on them after they have had all the air rolled out of them in order to prevent air "sneaking back in." I use a second one to keep the "laundry" in so that it doesn't stink up the clean stuff.

I don't know how much advice you want, but I also tend to segregate things into categories and keep them separate. Such as: my left system case is used for spares, oil, cycle pump, air pressure gage, bike cover, disk lock, bike cleaning supplies, and my rain gear. It is sort of the "trunk"....

The right system case is all my stored clothing. W/ the Coleman storage bags I can get a week's worth of clothes in there along w/ my ditty bag and walking shoes.

Top case is for stuff I use regularly along the way. Maps, eye lube drops, lip balm, aspirin, "layer clothing," different gloves, sun screen, small flash light, cooling vest (in 1 gal. zip loc bag), reading glasses, handi-wipes, water to drink, munchies like zone bars and trail mix, hat, first aid kit, book I am reading, and the like.

Camping gear could would go on the rear seat, except that my camping days were over after an exotic extended camp-out in 1967. grin.gif

In the tail cone of the RT goes my bike's paperwork, tire patch kit, extra tools in the tool kit.

Also, FWIW, when traveling solo I keep an info sheet in my riding jacket breast pocket that has emergency contact information, blood type, medical ins. info, the location of my wallet "on my person," etc. I have a label on the outside of this jacket pocket that says, "Emergency Information In This Pocket."

Using bag liners such as ones from C Bailey's or others, can really help in keeping things organized and easy to get to.

I have a few suggestions. watch out for bungees as they can break. i use straps (nylon) from REI, and they work great(bring extras). i bring 3 of underwear, 3 long and 3 short sleeve shirts, and 3 pair of socks. this is all travel stuff that can be washed (often in the shower) and hung to dry and does so quickly. a quick drying towel is worth it(REI).

always bring a good pair of walking shoes. 100% cotton handkerchiefs are worth their weight in gold.

remember where you are traveling as too cold or too hot can ruin a trip. i bring my stitch and joe rocket pants and jacket. bulky but worth it. bring an xtra pair of sunglasses.

a lot of the fun is figuring out what to bring and what not to bring. the more you talk to other travelers, the more you will learn and the more people you will meet.

have fun, be safe, and enjoy

bob clap.gif

I use one of Helen 2 Wheels stuff sacks. Take your Therm-a-Rest and roll it up. Close the valve and then unroll it inside the Stuff sack. Unravel it inside of the sack so that you can then stuff the sleeping down inside it, keeping the Therm-a-Rest valve closed.

Saves a lot of room, plus it's now inside a waterproof sack. Goode down sleeping bags work best because they're more compressible. I use a 20 degree Camp-Moore version. Excellent warmth up until about mid September. The whole thing straps down to the passenger seat area. I don't have the Top case on my RT, but instead use the rack to strap down my tent.

check out www.helen2wheels.com for other packing tips.

Rick

Dewayne Harkov

Less is better. You'll find that you don't need all the things you THINK you'll need. On a longer trip I'll take worn socks and underwear and just toss them so I'm not carrying dirty clothes all over. All my stuff goes into Trunk bag. Sadddlebags for flat kit, pump, etc. and room to put gear I take off. The Dry Bags are great for anything else.

Curious on other riders packing suggestions for solo trips of 3000- 4000 miles???

For example is a sleeping bag best in the top case or strapped on to the seat in a waterproof bag? Is the top case watertight? Helpful hints would be great.

Thanks

Aerostitch "MotoFizz" bag mounted on pillion... Holds tons of stuff.

Craig

I do lots of solo trips and I camp about half the time. I prefer to load heavier to the left side to help balance the slight pull of the bike to the right, so:

Left Bag: All camping gear - stove, fuel, cookset, big knife, food, water, hiking shoes.

Rt Bag: All clothing, shaving kit and equipment I bring into motels, so it is the only bag I have to bring in (phone and PDA rechargers, sandals, book, etc).

Top Case: Sleeping bag (small down bag), sun hat, long-sleeved sun shirt, nylon shorts, spare gloves, first-aid kit, fleece jacket liner, towel, yet another water bottle, extra maps. Also room for things along the way.

Tank Bag: Digital camera, notebook, current map, phone, spare shield, water, sunscreen.

Tent and Thermarest (large) go on seat.

Disc lock, multi-tool and regist. goes in fairing pocket.

Aw, now I want to go again!

john

thanks John

That is the type of information I have been looking for! Combine that with the 3-3-3 method and I should be good to go!

Keep the heavy things low in the bags. Light things on the seat or in the trunk. A trunk is nice for the "office", extra maps and things you need regularly during the day.

I usually put the tent low in the RH bag along with clothes, tools in the LH bag (to counter pull to the right) plus things used during the day, including a sleeping pad. I use a tail bag instead of a trunk, and my sleeping bag goes there. My way: a small tank bag for maps, rain gloves, flashlight, and snacks. Water in a cooler, with a hose and bite valve so I can drink on the fly.

The key; light weight, minimal bulk, packing light, and keep the weight low. That way, gravel roads, road construction, slow speed manuvering, and fast twisty roads present no problems. Enjoy your trip!

MikeS

thanks John

That is the type of information I have been looking for! Combine that with the 3-3-3 method and I should be good to go!

You're welcome. Sounds like you're good to go, Matt. It helps to have a system, for sure, otherwise you're always having to double check things. I also hate to bring too much stuff, so I am always reviewing if anything can stay home next time, and on more than one occasion have sent a package home, rather than drag it along the whole way.

Cheers,

john

Archived