IGNORED

Extended warranty advise??

Sea Marshal

Sea Marshal

Just bought a new LT and plan on using it as a daily commuter (160 r/t). I know the first time I would use it, it would probably pay for itself, but is the cost really worth it? $1200 for a 3 year unlimited policy.

I say put the $1200 in the bank. If something comes up, you have the money to fix it. If it doesn't, you're not out $1200.

Rick

$1200 for only 3 years?

Seems steep. I paid about $900 for my 7 year unlimited mileage through pinnacle and it just paid for itself.

$1200 for only 3 years?

Seems steep. I paid about $900 for my 7 year unlimited mileage through pinnacle and it just paid for itself.

You got 7 years in addition to the 3 year BMW warranty??

I say put the $1200 in the bank. If something comes up, you have the money to fix it. If it doesn't, you're not out $1200.

I agree. Remember, if you buy a $1200 warranty you need to save $1200 on some repair within the next 36 months before you even break even on the deal, and won't come out ahead until you spend even more than that. If I thought that there was any likelihood of a purchase needing in excess of $1200 worth of repairs in the first 36 months I probably wouldn't buy it in the first place.

Some folks get a piece of mind knowing that the warranty is there. I know because I am one of them.

Hello, my name is Tray and I am addicted to extended warranties.

Travelin' Man

Last spring I bought a 2000 R1100RT with 22K miles and passed up an opportunity to buy a 5 yr. warranty for $800. From everything I read here and elsewhere, I was convinced that BMW made bikes that never broke down and the warranty wasn't needed.

Last week with 27K miles on it I blew an exhaust valve and am now looking at an $1800 repair bill. Kinda wish I had gotten that warranty! confused.gif

Stan Walker

Then there is the other side of the coin.

I own two RT's. One is 9 years old with 71,000 miles and has never had a serious problem. The newer 1150 is over 4 years old with 61,000 miles and has never had any problems. If I had paid $1200 for each of them to have an extended warrantee I would be out $2400 dollars plus the interest that the $2400 could have earned for me in the bank. I didn't. Of course the newer bike would still be covered for awhile longer so I could still lose.

In addition I own two other BMW F650's, a '97 and a '99. They also have been major problem free and extended warrantees would have been wasted. Of course I knew they would be low mileage bikes and didn't even consider an extended warrantee on them.

Bottom line, like any other insurance, you pays your $$$, and maybe get nothing back, if your lucky.

One other point to keep in mind is whether you do your own repair work. That can save a bundle on most repairs. I would guess that this $1800 valve job is really only a few hundred dollar repair for a DIY person.

Stan

From everything I read here and elsewhere, I was convinced that BMW made bikes that never broke down
You read that here..? I would think from reading this forum one might get exactly the opposite impression. smirk.gif
From everything I read here and elsewhere, I was convinced that BMW made bikes that never broke down
You read that here..? I would think from reading this forum one might get exactly the opposite impression. smirk.gif

Now, now, now... Every once in a while, when there are to many threads describing how unreliable our BMW's are, someone will start a "My BMW is the best thing since sliced bread" thread just to balance impressions out. We're due for one of those pretty soon.

Regards,

Mike O

P.S. I don't have an extended warranty. But I continue to hear people that have taken advantage of them praise their virtues (as they should)

Yeeha! Stephen

Mike O

P.S. I don't have an extended warranty. But I continue to hear people that have taken advantage of them praise their virtues (as they should)

I bought one because I heard HERE that Final Drives were expensive.

Sho' Nuff... My Final Drive failed to the tune of $1900. Extended Warranty paid. Whole process done in a week. Thank you very much... as I roll out the door.

Chalk me up on the "Pro" side of the Pros & Cons debate.

$1800 to fix a failed exhaust valve? $1900 to fix a bad final drive? Geez... I think that set of tools I bought may have been the best investment I ever made.

I got a warranty also for the tune of $805.00 3 years. And includes anti lock brake system. &1200. seems a little high to me also.

No, but I was out of BMW's warranty in 2 because of mileage.

Total is 7 years, which is good until 2009 or something.

Last spring I bought a 2000 R1100RT with 22K miles and passed up an opportunity to buy a 5 yr. warranty for $800. From everything I read here and elsewhere, I was convinced that BMW made bikes that never broke down and the warranty wasn't needed.

BMW bikes never have mechanical problems.

They run forever without problems.

Because they're so fuel efficient you will never need to buy gas the entire time you own it.

The bike is so light you'll never wear out your tires.

And you'll never need the extended warranty..

smile.gif

FWIW, my shaft blew out at 39.5k. That alone paid for my warranty.

Archived