IGNORED

Handling: R1200RT vs R1200GS vs R1200R

wambo69

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and after trying to search for the answer, I though I'd ask here. I've been fortunate to demo both the R1200R ('07 and '08) and the R1200GS ('07 and '08). The R has been my favorite due to its handling but the new, improved '08 GS blew me away with great handling. I was recently talking to a local BMW dealer and he mentioned the RT was even better than the new GS. Anyone have any experience with this? The statement surprised me since the RT seems a bit porky in comparison, but if it's true, I may need to rethink my preferences.

Welcome to the board. What kind of riding do you do? Keep in mind that motorcycles are like boats....there is no such thing as one that is perfect for everything. Whatever you chose will most likely be a compromise.

ShovelStrokeEd

Are you really talking handling or ease of control?

The chassis on all these bikes is quite similar as is the geometry. Different wheels on the GS and wider bars will make it seem easier to turn but at the ultimate, its tires will be the deciding factor in handling. Even there, they are all pretty close on clean pavement.

None of them come from the factory with high quality suspension pieces (HP2 types excepted), which can also impact handling at speed. Again, ease of control vs outright handling prowess are two different things.

Handling may depend on ESA, or non ESA, stock/aftermarket shocks, type of load carried.

Next would come the handlebar seat ergo setup and how you use your body when riding (MYRP and Ride Smart).

How much you want to incorporate these, what seating position you favor, or are willing to lear, and as asked, what type of riding.

The Gs offers more options than tthe R/RT, yet many riders never use all of the GS capabilities.

The R is the lightest, probably nimblest, (I know GS owners who will disagree), most affected by weather.

The RT is extremely nimble if you are willing to ride it that way. (Go see a police rodeo).

The key may depend more on you, what type of riding you want to do and what you want to carry with you, rather than the bike.

All 3 are excellent choices.

Best wishes.

I guess I should have presented a little more detail about my preferences, but it was more of a face value question. I place handling as a priority in my bikes. Since I ride year round weather protection is important also, as well as a comfortable riding position. I like the riding position and wind protection of the GS better than the R, but with bar risers and a good windscreen, maybe it would be as good, but I'm not sure. The GS gave me good protection, but better protection can be added simply by a better aftermarket screen. The GS handgrip guards are nice when the temps drop, and I found the new '08 seat to be more comfortable. I've owned a V-Strom 650 and a Triumph Tiger, so I really like the riding position of the GS. The RT I've never tried. My riding is everything from commuting, to day trips and occational long trips. The bike must handle well in the twisties, as I love a good cornering bike. I've owned a Buell City X, a GSXR1000 (a bit too much for the street), and I currently own a Suzuki Bandit 1250 and Ducati S2R800. I've ridden Ducati ST3 and Multistrada, Triumph ST-All are great fun in the twisties. The Multistrada has the better riding position for me but the ST3 with bar risers was also wonderful. Did I mention I love a bike that flicks fast and corners well?

PS-The BMW's I rode this year both had ESA-Very nice!

Francois_Dumas

Pretty simple in my view: if you are looking for a comfortable and great handling bike with good weather protection then the RT is the only answer.

If you want a similar bike that 'flicks' easier through hairpins and performs better on mountain roads: the GS

You sacrifice some of each of their strong points by going tfor the other, obviously. They're not the same :/

The GS will pull ahead on the most technical roads. The wide bars and slightly lower weight give it the edge over the RT.

The RT and the GS have telelever front ends. The telelever has a vague/dead feeling to it. The vague feeling on the RT is not as bad as it is on the GS. I attribute the difference to the GS's taller suspension.

For large touring machines the RT and GS do quite well in the handling department. By the way I have not ridden the R.

Follow the link to get info on the fairing.

Parabellum Scout fairing for BMW bikes.

They have this and shorter windshields available.

One of our customers was the first to get it and her bike waas used for the prototype.

They also have numerous windscreens available for BMW models and test data that supports increaed mpg w/use.

(No affiliation discalaimer, just aware of and have seen the product)

Limecreek,

The R also has the telelever, and a steering damper.

With the second best weight to horsepower ratio of the standard Boxer models, it is pretty quick, very nice in technical riding.

Add the bags, the Scout fairing, custom seat, acc. lights, topcase, and you have a deluxe sport-tourer.

Again, depending on the type of riding you do, everything I mentioned here will be reflective of what I looked for. I had an 06 1200 RT. Wonderful bike and extremely nimble. A bit top heavy but very much a good weather protective package. I added the Aeroflow windshield and found in the summer I had to use another smaller windshield to get some air. This bike will block a lot of air. Even with the low seat at 30 in inseam I was still on my tip toes.

I went to the 08 1200 R and love it! Added the Z-Technik VStream windshield and have the best of all worlds. Very flickable on these roads here in western North Carolina, lighter, better balance and now I have adequate air protection but still get some airflow for summer riding. Gas tank is plenty big enough and I added the Tourmaster Tri-bag system which makes for plenty of cargo space when needed, drop the side bags for shorter trips and ultimately, I can go naked when I'm just riding short distances and want to enjoy the twisties here.

Again, it all depends on your riding preferences.

Bruce

"Pretty simple in my view: if you are looking for a comfortable and great handling bike with good weather protection then the RT is the only answer."

+1.

I guess there is no simple answer here, I just need to test ride the RT to see how it feels to me. I like the fairing and windscreen idea for the R which will help alot. The tank size for the GS and RT still may place it ahead. Decisions, decisions! The best thing about my dilemma is that I really can't loose no matter what I decide.

Thanks for all your input!

And then there's the R1200ST!

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/bikes/bike.jsp?b=r1200st

I am in a similar boat as you. I had a Yamaha FZ1, and was searching for a new mount. Like you, I commute, tour, sport tour, and rail the canyons.

I too looked at the different models you mentioned and was leaning toward the RT, but then I saw a picture of a used ST @ A&S cycles in Roseville, ca. (It had belonged to another member of this community)

They don't make them anymore, so I didn't see it on the BMW web site. But for me it's the perfect all around bike. (I haven't tried it in the dirt yet) I did some research, and found that it has all the things I'm looking for;

505 lbs wet weight, w/ 5.5 gallons of fuel on board, shaft drive, simple to maintain.

As pointed out by Limecreek, they do have a "dead" feeling in the front that takes a bit of getting used to, but so far I've been able to toss it into a corner and it sticks. (So far)

Somewhere in out community (Under Hex heads?) there's a member selling a used ST if you're interested.

You'll be happy with any of these bikes, you just need to find the right "flavor" for your riding needs.

Good luck, and welcome to the club,

Andy Norris

Having riden WITH both the GS and the RTs while on my GT, I get a great seat to watch them handle. Ran some great roads with them both in front of me.

The RT is the best wind protection by far, and will run off an leave the pre 08 GS in the twisties, but the 08 GS has tighter rake angle.

If I had to get ride of my GT, would be a tough call, probably go with the GS with ESA and ABS of course. Also the RT has electrically adjustable windshield like the GT, nice feature.

I've ridden both the GS and the RT and I prefer the GS. It has more nimble, flickable handling and a lot less plastic. The RT has better weather protection but for me, it is very uncomfortable to ride in warm and hot weather.

That was me, selling the ST to by a multistrada. The ST is a great bike, but the Duc is a blast to ride and still does pretty good on a 400 mile day.

Brian

bdanderson72@hotmail.com

P1010522.jpg

Archived