IGNORED

Power Commanders for BMW's

JerryMather

JerryMather

I just took a look at the Dynajet website to find out if they make a unit for my KRS and it looks as though they just started to tap into the Beemer crews pocketbooks.

Anyone out there pick one up yet? I'm going to give them a call to see if they're available ASAP.

What I noticed with the KRS is that it's not as responsive as I'd like at the lower part of the throttle. So I'm thinking that a new map and an exhaust system, so it can flow more air through it, should wake this thing up a little, maybe more than a little if I'm lucky.

clap.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

Jerry,

Your gonna have to get more than a little lucky. Improvements in low end torque don't usually come from external breathing changes (after market exhaust) nor do they get there from mixture adjustment very much. You might gain a bit of throttle response at light loads but that's about it.

The real way to increased low end torque lies with either the ignition, not easily modified, or the cam timing. The easy thing to do is to advance your intake and exhaust cams somewhere between 3 and 6 degrees via sprocket modification and offset bushings. When timing the cams, shoot for a lobe center in the 110 to 113 degree range rather than the 106 or so that is stock. This will give a nice boost between 3 and 5K RPM.

Some precautions are in order. Valve interference with either the pistons or each other is a real possibility with this setting combination. Its a good idea to leave the work to someone expert at this stuff and experienced in clearance checking.

Dennis Andress

Sometimes I just have wonder where Ed gets that from.....

Jerry,

My 91 KRS has a chip and a Remus. I have to say I liked it but there's nothing below 4K, very little below 5 and lot's of thrills above 6.

JerryMather
Jerry,

Your gonna have to get more than a little lucky. Improvements in low end torque don't usually come from external breathing changes (after market exhaust) nor do they get there from mixture adjustment very much. You might gain a bit of throttle response at light loads but that's about it.

The real way to increased low end torque lies with either the ignition, not easily modified, or the cam timing. The easy thing to do is to advance your intake and exhaust cams somewhere between 3 and 6 degrees via sprocket modification and offset bushings. When timing the cams, shoot for a lobe center in the 110 to 113 degree range rather than the 106 or so that is stock. This will give a nice boost between 3 and 5K RPM.

Some precautions are in order. Valve interference with either the pistons or each other is a real possibility with this setting combination. Its a good idea to leave the work to someone expert at this stuff and experienced in clearance checking.

Thanks for the input.

I've been Turboing motorcycles for a living lately and already understand about degreeing cams and what the problems are. That's why I'd rather just throw an exhaust and a PC on before I have to go into the engine and start doing any mods.

I've only had the RS for a few days and already my buddy wants to see where he can mount a Turbo system to wake it up. That will be a last resort if at all.

ShovelStrokeEd

No connection other than friendship but RB Racing has been doing turbo kits for the K12RS for quite a while. A bunch of his parts could save you a whole lot of time and effort.

As to chips, I think Rhine West down in San Antonio actually has done some of the best work on K bike chippage. They even, as far as I know, messed with spark advance curves, placing them head and shoulders above the others. I'd go there first.

Wouldn't surprise me if you couldn't make your own offset sprockets, its not a major job once you get them chucked up. Spread out those lobe centers and ,,,, well, you already know.

I'm actually surprised that there are not more tuning shops out there doing this kind of thing. I wouldn't even attempt any other hop up stuff. Come to think of it, a set of 6 degree sprockets are available for my S. Might make a good birthday present for it.

Jerry, the goal to increase the performance of any machine-bike or car, is a natural one for us power mad guys.

However, I must say that BMW seems to have maximized the available output of most of their machines two or four wheel.

So with that said, I will offer my suggetions to better riding: get in shape, take lots of on track riding courses and maybe even get a 600 cc bike for those track days. Or better yet just get a Hyabusa instead of your KRS.

Okay, now you can beat me senseless for suggesting such ideas. But really, the K bike is pretty maxed out as is. Why not put your money into the new "S" model and really kick some azz.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I see and hear it all the time at the track and else where when riders/drivers want to get it on. I really think that "getting real" will reveal that the best solution is to look inward to one self or to the newest model with built in performance.

Rant over and out.

tom collins

Jungle Jim:

It ain't what you got, but how you use it. You are 100% spot on about the track courses, but you do not have to change bikes to go fast. For example, Thurs, I took my 04 RT to the track for the session connected with the national at Mid-Ohio. the only mods are a cut down stock windshield, ztech exhaust with baffle out and works shocks with damping turned up, new metz z6 as well. there was a Busa, 2 k1200s and a k1200r there among other boxers including 1100s' and one 1200lt who was moving good. only the guy on the 1200r got anywhere near me when i was trying, admittedly, after 4 or 5 laps i got tired (i'm 46 after all) and took it easy. unfortunately, that 1200r wound up getting laid down. there were dedicated track rockets there (the track marshalls) that i could not hang with, but they had no tags, slicks, 200 lbs less and 30 or more hp. i had to ride mine the 200 miles back home after the session. during all of this, i never felt in danger or out of control. in fact, the boss emphasised control above all else and i totally agree with that philosophy, when you can totally control the bike, you can go very quickly, even on a 630 lb touring bike. in fact, in the right hands, i think the 05 GS could have been the fastest bike on the track because my biggest limitation on the RT was ground clearance.

enjoy the ride and everyone should go to a track day, you learn more than you would ever believe.

tom collins

mikefigielski

I know the Power Commanders for the Oilheads keep getting their available date pushed back due to a problem with getting factory fuel injection connectors supplied. Same problem Techlusion had.They were supposed to be out in Feb or March and now I am told August. I'm chomping at the bit to try it. THey are using a wide band O2 sensor which is what BMW should have done from the factory IMHO.

Mike

Archived