IGNORED

Beloved Member Down

Les is more

Todd just came by to give Carole and I this TERRIBLE news, and I am at a complete loss for words. We loved Rodger and Sue, rode with them as often as we could when we were still riding, and really loved to be around them both. I can't imagine what Sue is going through.

Our hearts go out to Sue, I just don't know what else to say. Rodger was a great guy, we'll both miss him.

it's always hard to find words that are not awkward at times like this. I did not know Rodger but am saddened at this tragedy.

My condolences to his family, and to his friends at his loss.

I've been so dismayed about this all weekend. PJ called us with the terrible news as we were on our way to Torrey on Thursday evening.

Rodger was the coolest guy - always smiling and laughing. He and Sue were such a perfectly matched set; I'm heartbroken for you, Sue!

Words fail me now, but needless to say, this is just shocking and sad, and we will miss Rodger terribly.

If you never had the pleasure of meeting Rodger (and Sue!), well, you did indeed miss out.

Sue, you're in our thoughts and prayers. PLEASE let us know if you need anything.

My flight had just landed in Reno and I’d decided to let my regional rep drive. Good thing, too, because when Jamie called me to tell me it had just happened, I held it together long enough to get through the phone call, then fell apart.

Rodger was one of the great guys, but he never brought attention to himself, even as fun and as funny as he was. His wit was quick and it was smart, and quite often deep.

Rodger was always there for his fellow riders. What he contributed in time, money and creative effort when Gleno passed away was incredible. He made the stickers, sold them, got the money to the family. He made the first Mt. Gleno sign and the UT-72 Gleno Summit sign that we placed up on Sweeper Madness. The latter was a perfect duplicate of the Utah DOT signage. I’m sure when their workers finally spotted it, they did a double-take and wondered if it somehow wasn’t one of theirs, before they finally removed it.

Roger made more Mt. Gleno signs when the first one, planted with love and passion but not very deeply, eventually "blew away." The new sign is there permanently, and if someone ever removes it, I have more of Rodger’s work to commemorate Glen. How ironic. Almost as ironic as Rodger wearing his FOG (Friends of Gleno) hat in so many of the pictures people have posted.

Rodger had recently retired and was now able to spend more time with his beloved Sue. They were so ideal together. Sue loved to laugh. He loved making her laugh. You saw it any time you saw the two of them together. Sue, you know you have the power of thousands on this board. You only need to ask of us.

I got it together after a few minutes and my regional rep and I continued on to downtown Reno for their annual "Street Vibrations" motorcycle rally. We were there to help one of our dealers sell our products in their street booths.

There were about 35,000 bikes in town, about 95% of them Harleys. And yes there was NOISE and there were riders and there were posers and there was just about every kind of legal and illegal fun. But with Rodger always in the back of my mind, I suddenly started to notice how many riders, wearing their club colors, had patches commemorating the loss of a brother rider. They’ve suffered what we’ve suffered, and are now in the midst of. And that, along with the utter simplicity of the accident that took Rodger’s life, rekindled in me a warning about how dangerous what we do can be. We can do a thousand things to mitigate that danger, but it is VERY dangerous nonetheless.

I hope everyone comes away with that. Any place. Any time. Because of something as simple as a cup of hydrailic fluid. We are vulnerable.

Let’s not ever allow that to slip from our consciousness. Let’s continue our training and our practicing and our vigilance. If we do that, this terrible tragedy might have a bright spot amid all the tears, and tears, and tears.

Godspeed to you, Rodger. You made us laugh. We saw you love. No greater gifts has man to share.

Oh My God.

Rodger was such an awesome guy: funny, smart as a whip, generous, helpful and friendly -- sort of a poster-'child' for all the good qualities you'll find here in the board.

He was a very careful rider, as well... That this should happen to him is sort of a surreal shock.

A couple of photos of Rodger and Sue, 2-up on Sweeper Madness... (May, '06)

4027.jpg

4028.jpg

Rodger was such an awesome guy: funny, smart as a whip, generous, helpful and friendly -- sort of a poster-'child' for all the good qualities you'll find here in the board.

He was a very careful rider, as well... That this should happen to him is sort of a surreal shock.

I think you've kind of hit on the sentiment as I heard it said many times at Torrey. I think people were still having a hard time getting a grip on it.

Sharon and I met Rodger and Sue last May at Torrey, and again in John Day. Although I would not say we knew Rodger well, as everyone has mentioned, Rodger was always happy and smiling and just a pleasure to be around.

Sharon has already posted our condolences to Sue in this thread. I'll just add, our hearts go out to you.

I don't know if this helps, but for me it seems important to remember that Rodger was doing what he loved: Riding with a friend, to see friends, in a beautiful place.

Phil (1bmwfan) announced the tragedy to the group during the Friday night pizza dinner at the Chuckwagon pool, but I'm sure that everyone already knew. So, it was more like a little ceremony of sorts. Very simple. A moment of silence and reflection in which we stood together.

All weekend long it seemed as if the hugs came a little more frequently, lasted just a moment longer, and had a firmer grip to them.

Rodger was in our minds over the weekend, and as we rode home yesterday through a bit of rain, we slowed more than usual, ever mindful of a slick spot on the road.

Jan

I don't know if this helps, but for me it seems important to remember that Rodger was doing what he loved: Riding with a friend, to see friends, in a beautiful place.

Phil (1bmwfan) announced the tragedy to the group during the Friday night pizza dinner at the Chuckwagon pool, but I'm sure that everyone already knew. So, it was more like a little ceremony of sorts. Very simple. A moment of silence and reflection in which we stood together.

My thoughts exactly. The news was a complete shock and the moment of silence was difficult but needed. God speed to Rodger. Sue, our heartfelt condolences to you. Torrey will never be the same, but we all must press on and continue to celebrate life as that is what he (and others) would want.

tHANK yOU, Fernando...wow, truer words never spoken/typed. Thanks for saying what I couldn't put into words. I am still in shock and still numb. Nothing more to say other than a hole has been left, again.

I am so sorry. If there is anything at all that i or my family can do please please let us know. I loved Roger and my heart is breaking and will miss his sweetness and laughter. Tell Sue I love her and am here if she needs me, Tmac

I don't know what to say that hasn't already been said. At first I was in disbelief knowing that Rodger is one of the safest riders I've had the pleasure of riding with. I shed a few tears with friends in Torrey and on my way up Sweeper Madness for Rodger. I like to think he's riding sweep right now with Gleno. We've lost another great family member who truly was a class act. :cry:

Sue, my heart is breaking for you. I just don't have the words other than you are family and we're all here for you. For any and every thing.

Todd, I can't imagine what you're going through having been there and watched all of our worst nightmare come true. As hard as it is on you, know that being there for Rodger in his final moments was very important and hopefully gave him comfort.

Jamie and Leslie or those in the know, please let us know if there is anything we can do to help. Also please let us know any info about if there is going to be services and/or a memorial ride.

God speed my friend... :cry:

I cannot add much to all that has been said other than to wish Sue and the family our heartfelt condolences.

Please let us know how we can assist in any way.

John and Linda

I read this news over the weekend and still remain in utter shock and disbelief - Kim included.

Several years ago, we rode to many-a-places with Rodger (and Sue). As a matter of fact, at that time, (my now wife) Kim - and Rodger's Sue were both sort of becoming accustomed to being 'regular' passengers at the same time.

I remember I was still getting used to touring with a regular passenger and Rodger was there to give me countless pointers on how to make the trip better for Kim and myself. Everything from the right suspension settings to the right way to pack to all of those details that you tend to learn through experience. Rodger was a true expert - a veteran rider that had seen it all, done it all - and knew what worked and what didn't.

When Kim and I got blown off Interstate 10 one year on the way to Torrey - it was the two-up techniques Rodger schooled me on (riding in severe wind) that helped me keep that bike upright.

A true riding mentor and friend to me and Kim in so many aspects.

I remember when Rodger was thinking of moving from an RT to an LT and one night - rode over to our place to try out our LT. I remember how excited he was about the LT - and having a mount that would be that much more comfortable for Sue.

When Kim and I moved to Minnesota for my new job back in June of 2005 - we were heartbroken having to leave so many special riding friends in Southern California - particularly Rodger and Sue.

As some of you may know, Kim and I are now in the process of getting moved back to Southern California (This time - ironically Kim's home town of San Diego). We were both so looking forward to reconnecting with Rodger (we'd practically be neighbors this time around) - and now this has happened. I don't know - this all just doesn't make sense. I don't have the words.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to Sue and their family. Rodger will forever hold a very special place in our heart. He helped make our lives a whole lot better. Sue - I hope you find at least some comfort in knowing that. Rodger was a very special friend - always providing unconditional friendship, happiness, wisdom, smiles and non-stop laughter whenever we were together.

Marty emailed this to me (the former computer salesman who's still trying to master posting a picture online...) and asked if I'd post it for him.

As near as I can guess this one's from Torrey VII, Spring of '04. From the left - Sue, FirstShirt, BrianT, Marty, Steve Carr riding the silver RT, Gleno, Rodger, Lisa, and AzAl. I think that's got to be Russell hiding behind Steve's windshield.

383494962_9Zzpn-O.jpg

I have no words. I feel so honored to have known you and shared laughter and time with you friend.

I struggled to keep it together when Whip told me after our arrival in Torrey. It didn't work. Tears flowed. I struggled again when I spoke at Torrey's opening Friday night. Again, I lost it. It was the loudest moment of silence when we honored you in simple thought that night.

You will always be alive in my heart, in my mind, and in my emotion.

Rest In Peace my friend.

Sue, a moments notice away we are.

When Jamie told me about Rodger upon our arrival at Torrey I couldn't grasp what she was saying. It didn't make sense, this couldn't happen.

I was so impressed and appreciative with his and Sue's generousity at the time of Gleno's memorial. They came up with a way for all of us to feel like we were helping Gleno's family in their time of need. At the time it made the pain easier to bear. Now we are faced with the same situation regarding Rodger's family. What can we do? What can we say except we are all poorer for losing this man. Sue our prayers are with you and your family. Please if there is anything Gary and I can do to help, all you need to do is say the word.

Dave in Doodah

It sounds like we have lost a truly exceptional human being.

My thoughts and sincere condolences go out to Rodger's family and friends; and to his large, extended family at BWMST and elsewhere.

Very sad indeed. My prayers go out to the family and friends of this special person. On a personal note, this unfortunate accident has sensitized me to be more cautious in my riding. I am slowing down and minimizing distractions (such as fiddling with my GPS and IPOD). Hopefully, something good can come from something so bad.

Bob

Rodger, Sue & Denny (Tool) - Grand Canyon North Rim - Fall 2004

Roger,%20Sue%20&%20Denny%20-%20Grand%20Canyon.jpg

Richard, Denny, Meghan & Brian, Sue & Rodger - Glacier Park - Summer 2004

Roger%20at%20Glacier.jpg

Rodger Napping at Jackson Lake, Tetons - Summer 2004

Copy%20of%20Roger%20at%20Jackson%20Lake.jpg

Rodger and Sue - Grand Canyon North Rim - Fall 2004

Roger%20and%20Sue%20Grand%20Canyon%202.jpg

Farewell my friend.

I've been trying and trying to respond to this, but I just haven't been able to. I think I'm still in shock about this.

Rodger was such a fantastic guy. He was the ideal riding partner because you always knew he'd be there, no matter what. When we were going to the MotoGP race at Laguna Seca in 2005, there was a couple riding a sportbike with us, and somewhere along the way the pillion's backpack came open and she lost her phone, money, ID, tickets...everything. In the July heat, Rodger was the one who looped back to help find and recover as much as they could.

He made all the memorial stickers for Gleno and made sure that the family got the proceeds from the sale of them. Nobody asked him to do that...it needed to be done, so he did it.

He was a tremendously competent rider...one of those guys who always seems to know where that next turn is going and that there's gravel hiding in the shadows. I saw him handle heavy traffic, bad weather, and crappy roads like it was no big deal.

He had an incredible wit, razor sharp and dry as the Sahara. As Jamie said, it isn't a coincidence that every picture of Rodger includes a bunch of people laughing their asses off.

There is yet another huge void in this group that can never be filled. :cry:

I do try to look at the positives. Rodger had everything a man could ever want...loving wife, great friends, and a passtime that he loved. He died doing what he loved, with someone he loved, on the way to see people he loved. He didn't suffer and languish, withering away in some crappy nursing home like so many people do. We should all be so lucky.

Torrey was very bittersweet this time. It's still Torrey...it's beautiful, the riding is fantastic, and the company is second to none. But Rodger's presence was definitely missed. Jan said "All weekend long it seemed as if the hugs came a little more frequently, lasted just a moment longer, and had a firmer grip to them. " and that's definitely true. With each hug, under the smiles and the tall tales of the day's exploits, you could feel the broken hearts, desperately grasping for something to fill that big gaping hole. But there were lots of laughs and smiles, too. And I swear, when Vlad and Nora went by us in the Virgin River Gorge and dropped into that long sweeper together in perfect formation, I could see Gleno and "Rajneesh" looking down and smiling.

Sue and family...please know that you are in our thoughts and prayers and if you need ANYTHING, we're just up the road.

Well said Russell, I too have been struggling to know what to say, you put it perfectly.

I loved the way Rodger would sit quietly for a minute, or even five, and then when the conversation had moved on he would ask some twisted hilarious question about the previous topic.

He is missed.

AzAl was the first to tell me of the tragedy as I barely got my helmet off. My thought at that moment was... at least he was doing what he loved to do.

I did not know Rodger but after reading this thread I wished I did.

My sincere condolences Sue.

I did not know Rodger but have been reading all of the posts and he appears to have been an extraordinary individual. I regret that I will not get to meet him. My prayers are with the family.

Hello everybody,

My name is Chris. I am Rodger’s brother-in-law, or “The Out Laws” as we usually refer to ourselves. The news of Rodger’s accident was and is devastating to our family. He will be greatly missed and never forgotten. As many of you already know, Rodger was an outstanding person in so many ways. His genuine smile and sense of humor could always brighten any room. I will miss our Jack & Coke time together at family gatherings where we would ponder all the ridiculous questions in life and analyze the silliest things our family didn’t understand why we found so amusing and funny. We often talked about the club rides he and Sue had just done and rides coming up. It was only after family and friends that carving it up was # 1 on his list of things to do. In 2003 Rodger arranged for a loaner bike for himself and lent me his precious red RT and took me on an amazing four day ride to Torrey and back. It was the best riding I’ve ever done, lots of stories (cattle drive in the rain, broken injector wire 30 miles from Torrey). That is the time I will hold dearest in my memories of him. I had a chance to meet some of you on that ride and some you have lost since then. I am in tears from reading all the wonderful things you all have posted. It’s sad that we have to risk paying the ultimate price to do something that makes us feel so alive.

Best wishes to all. In behalf of myself and my family, thank you all for your kind words, condolences, and prayers.

I’m going to end this in honor of you Rodger with a Jack & Coke held high.

Take me for a ride when I get to the other side.

We love you.

russell_bynum
Hello everybody,

My name is Chris. I am Rodger’s brother-in-law, or “The Out Laws” as we usually refer to ourselves. The news of Rodger’s accident was and is devastating to our family. He will be greatly missed and never forgotten. As many of you already know, Rodger was an outstanding person in so many ways. His genuine smile and sense of humor could always brighten any room. I will miss our Jack & Coke time together at family gatherings where we would ponder all the ridiculous questions in life and analyze the silliest things our family didn’t understand why we found so amusing and funny. We often talked about the club rides he and Sue had just done and rides coming up. It was only after family and friends that carving it up was # 1 on his list of things to do. In 2003 Rodger arranged for a loaner bike for himself and lent me his precious red RT and took me on an amazing four day ride to Torrey and back. It was the best riding I’ve ever done, lots of stories (cattle drive in the rain, broken injector wire 30 miles from Torrey). That is the time I will hold dearest in my memories of him. I had a chance to meet some of you on that ride and some you have lost since then. I am in tears from reading all the wonderful things you all have posted. It’s sad that we have to risk paying the ultimate price to do something that makes us feel so alive.

Best wishes to all. In behalf of myself and my family, thank you all for your kind words, condolences, and prayers.

I’m going to end this in honor of you Rodger with a Jack & Coke held high.

Take me for a ride when I get to the other side.

We love you.

Hey Chris, I remember that trip...you rolling in on one cylinder and Gleno ribbing Rodger about the broken wire (as he fixed it) and Rodger joking that it's the new R550RT. :grin:

I remember that too! That was Torrey VI-"Renewal" in the fall of 2003.

A bunch of us came in to town behind a huge cattle drive (near Boulder?) moving right down the middle of the road . . . in the rain. IIRC, the "Techloser" on Rodger's RT had broken through the injector wire on the one side and you were running on one cylinder. Once we took it out and repaired the wire I recall it was a bit less . . . "disappointing" to ride! :grin:

Sadly, the only pics Leslie and I took of that weekend were the ones of Gleno and his new grandbaby at his place on the way out--and not one of the actual gathering! :(

Wasn't that the trip where David was on the new super secret K1600LT cleverly disguised with a Honda plate?

And wasn't that also the Whisk(e)y tasting evening in the Chuckwagon parking lot that Sammy held?

I can't believe I've missed so MANY Torrey's lately . . . . :(

Here's the old red RT at one of the many Death Valley Rides Rodger and Sue attended:

2210938_jFnPG-L.jpg

I never met Rodger, though I've met enough of you in my one Torrey and UNRally to trust your measure of him: he must have been one special character.

I wish his family strength and any possible comfort they receive from us, his extended family.

Roger really was fun to be with and I miss him.

97842240_LeaUM-L.jpg

The man could deal with anyone... including this pair.

97852677_rsWmu-L.jpg

What a great night in my life that I will treasure forever.

Adios Amigo. You were a worthy friend

Tom

Mrs Whip and I always feel like we have a special relationship with couples that ride two up. That feeling was extra strong with Sue and Rodger cause we never saw one without the other and we saw them many times at many different events. The thought of Sue being without Rodger is hard for me. I have been cageless for over a year now and every time I'm 15 minutes late getting home Mrs. Whip feels a little uneasy. I know I'm rambling now, but I really don't know what to say.

We ride.

We know what can happen.

We ride.

We know what others think.

We ride.

We see what has happen to our beloved friends.

We ride.

It just feels good..........sooooo.

We ride.

Whip

Nice to hear from you Chris.

Jamie and I took the Grandbaby up to see Sue yesterday. We had a nice visit, going through this thread and reminiscing. Her parents were there and Rodger and Sue's son, Brian too.

Sue and Rodger's families have been reading here and have gotten great comfort from all of your wonderful wishes and the pictures.

Thank you all for being who you are. I hope to share a hug, some tears and some warm laughter before, at and after the memorial services.

I was in a cemetery less than a month ago, and saw a very cool headstone - it was actually a granite park bench.

It read "Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened."

I'm afraid I didn't know him as well as I might have, but this strikes me as a very Rodger sentiment.

I just want to add my condolences to Sue, Sue and Roger's families, Greydude and all the members who will surely miss Roger's presence.

What a shock, I just heard about it today. Thanks Les for the call, it was appreciated even though the news made my heart sink.

Even though I've been off the Board and not at recent rides, I'll always remember Roger and Sue at every Torrey I've been to and most the DVD rides as well.

It was Roger's smile, I remember the most, like he ate the bird and was waiting for you to discover it...all the time Sue rolling her eyes like, can you believe this guy?

Love and Prayers to you Sue, Greydude..all you Members. I'm so sorry for your, our, loss.

I met Rodger at work and truly enjoyed his company. We worked in different divisions but had opportunities to work on projects. When I was told the news I was directed to this web site. I've tried a few times to compose my thoughts with not much success. I am not a rider never have been but I recall one day talking with Rodger and the subject of riding came up I asked one question about riding and Rodger's face lit up with his smile and I am certain if I ever had to ride I could do it with just the "lessions" Rodger gave me that day. We talked and I listen to riding instructions and tales of the road for more than an hour yet it seemed like only a moment had passed. I was sold!

Early on in this posting I read The Mayor's posting his words were well said. (Sorry can't find any other words to describe right now) I never got the chance to say goodbye before he retired but always felt we would meet again. Through this site I learned a lot about Rodger and I am proud to have been able to share a few moments with him.

Rodger to this day I correct everyone who tries to shorten the name of our town and think of you when I say THE City of San Diego. Thank you, I will miss you!

Bruce Faz

russell_bynum
It was Roger's smile, I remember the most, like he ate the bird and was waiting for you to discover it...all the time Sue rolling her eyes like, can you believe this guy?

Behind every great man is a woman, rolling her eyes.

Welcome Bruce!

I only had the chance to meet a few of Rodger's coworkers in the sign shop. I know how much they admired him.

Thanks for posting here to give us a peek at the great effect Rodger had on the fine people working for "The City of San Diego" :) (my home town).

Rodger was my friend

We rode together

We laughed together

We drank together

We camped together

We roomed together

Rodger was my friend

I miss him

When Nora first told me of Rodger's accident, the first words out of my mouth were "How's Sue?" I'm so glad she wasn't with him this time.

:(

I don't know what to say but this saddens me a great deal.

Rodger, may you rest in peace. And to your family, I offer my sincerest condolences.

Oh man...

I was in a cemetery less than a month ago, and saw a very cool headstone - it was actually a granite park bench.

It read "Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened."

I'm afraid I didn't know him as well as I might have, but this strikes me as a very Rodger sentiment.

A park bench was purchased for my dad too....a fitting tribute reads similar.

BeniciaRT_GT

I've been struggling with this since finding out on the way to Torrey. I even avoided this thread until today. As I ran through it more tears (in a series of many so far) streamed down my face.

I hurt for the loss to me, but truly ache for you Sue. Both of you mean so much to me and were some of the first people I really connected with from our family here. I can't imagine what a hole it has left in your heart and daily life.

To see you two and the incredible love shown between you was truly awe inspiring. It was so obvious to see how Y'all felt when both of you were not even in the same room.

It was almost as funny watching you react as it was laughing at/with Rodger.

I'm gonna miss him, but I don't want to hear any excuse as to why I'll have to miss you. Many of us would be quite honored to "pillion" you to events, and short of that, happy to see you drive to events.

Sue, please let us know if there is ever anything at all, anything, that I, or we, can do for you.

Godspeed Rodger. We sure are gonna miss you!

Here, poor Rodger struggles to not puncture a lung as the beef is hauled to dinner in the back of a pick up truck cab. (L to R: Rodger's ear, Killer Palin, David EB Smith, Raaaaaaaan) at the Un in '04

144174945_K8msC-L.jpg

Here Philly leads a cast of troublemakers through Glacier after the Un in '04 (next in line is Denny/Tool, then BrianT and Mehgan, and Rodger and Sue keep an eye on the gang from behind)

144174974_DV2xp-L.jpg

Torrey 2004:

Spring:

385169279_eDpNL-XL.jpg

And Fall on Killer's Porch:

385173649_MAZsp-XL.jpg

With "his" cowboy, Death Valley this year:

248104935_Qe68g-L.jpg

248105853_njHPZ-L.jpg

I know that one day, perhaps not soon, but one day I will be able to celebrate knowing him, and the hole in my heart and the sorrow I feel now will be replaced by the wonderful spirit that was Rodger... Thank you Rodger.

Thank you Richard for posting that.

I too Sue have been avoiding this thread because none of my words could offer any comfort to you.

I miss Both of you but promise us all that we will see you again when the right time comes.

Archived