IGNORED

Beloved Member Down

Les is more

I don't even know where to begin--I never wanted to write this kind of news.

Rodger Blakey, Signman here on the board, went down on his way to Torrey and was killed by on-coming traffic. They were going slowly away from a construction stop. Rodger, in the lead was moving over to pass a horse trailer when the trailer suddenly moved over too. When Rodger braked to avoid the trailer, he found himself in what Todd described as ice-slick hydraulic fluid.

Todd, Graydude, was with him and helped a doctor and nurse who stopped to render aid. They did 30 minutes of CPR but Rodger never regained consciousness. Graydude, who was not involved in the accident has stopped in Page Arizona. His wife will pick him up there. He doesn't have the heart to ride home alone.

Jamie called Rodger's wife Sue who is dealing with the news as I type this. We've told Rodger's kids that we're available for whatever they or Sue need. They only live 40 minutes up the hill from us

My heart is breaking. Rodger was one of the first people from this board that we rode with. He and Sue became dear friends in short order. His wry sense of humor, generous nature, gigantic heart and wonderful smile will never be forgotten.

I don't know what else to say right now.

Rodger was a very good fellow. As generous and friendly as he could be. He was also very helpful in the early days of the website, and would always do whatever was needed for the group.

Rodger, we'll miss you!

The word has slowly begun to spread through Torrey.

As Arizona Al told me the news.......raindrops began to fall on the windshield.

I've really enjoyed the two of them at the Julian breakfasts the last few years.

Thoughts and prayers heading to San Diego.

Horrible and hard to understand. Roger and Sue were/are wonderful and dear friends. I'll always remember his smile.

Les, thanks for letting us know and I'm sure it breaks your heart.

OMG, I'm stunned. I can't believe our beloved Rodger is gone.

I just talked to Sue and we are all still completely stunned. I can't type much right now, but for those of you who never had the supreme pleasure of meeting Rodger . . . he was one of a kind: funny, generous, kind, a great friend and one of the very first folks we met from this board back almost six years ago now. We have so many incredible memories of riding with him and Sue . . . I can't believe we'll never have that opportunity again. :(

Rodger was the ultimate wingman: solid, great rider, always had your back and a steadfast brother in arms when the manure hit the ventilator. He had the quickest wit . . . a lot like Gleno in that way, but much drier. There's a reason you always see pictures of Rodger with others who are laughing their a$$es off.

When Denny DTool hit a patch of sand in Box Canyon a number of years ago, Rodger was quick to grab Sue's pink parasol to bring comfort to the injured (those LT's have a LOT of storage!):

27772680_hbZQT-L.jpg

Here's another one of my favorite shots of Rodger:

256481_6uvZi-L-1.jpg

That's Leslie in the middle and Sue on the right. Rodger was one of the good ones, a dear, dear friend, and a talented artist. Ironically, he made probably half of the stickers on my bike, including the memorial stickers for "kowboy" and of course, "Gleno".

My heart is breaking . . . not just for us, but for Sue and her whole family . . . as well as Todd "graydude" who had to witness the whole accident and worked on Rodger with other bystanders (including a doctor and nurse) to try to save him. We don't yet know where to go from here. I was unable to get the time off to go to Torrey where all the riders are gathering as I type this. I'm working now on getting coverage for my shift tomorrow so I can at least be there for Sue and her family to bring Rodger home and give him the proper respects he so truly deserved. I know he would have been at the front of the line to do the same for any one of his brothers had the places been reversed.

256496_L8h4o-L-1.jpg

Al "arizonaAl" giving Marty the "energizer bunny" ears while Rodger and Sue look on.

14501565_HhdRa-L.jpg

This photo was captioned: "Why is it whenever I take pictures of people listening to Rodger talk--they are ALWAYS laughing? Hmmmmmmm . . . . :-) "

2210898_82zXS-L.jpg

Another of my favorite shots from one of our first trips to Death Valley in 2004. It just causes me no end of sadness that already two of my most favorite souls--who I NEVER would have met were it not for this crazy "hobby" we all enjoy--have been taken from us by the very activity that brought us together.

I just can't stem the tears . . .

. . . and though I deal with death as a part of my job, and have even thrown the yellow sheet over many a downed cyclist . . . this is SO different and I'm finding that I just can't go to that place of detachment where I temporarily hide my heart to get through this. Rodger was a GREAT friend, a great rider, and an even greater spirit. This will be a HUGE hole in the universe that will take a good deal of time to fill back in.

Fare thee well my brother and save me a spot at your campfire. We'll meet again at the end of this ride and share a laugh in "Jack's Playground" one day. You left us far too soon . . . but you will never be forgotten.

. . . and give Gleno a swift kick in the shins for me too when you get there, would ya?

Fallen member news is dreadful. Thankfully the accident was witnessed and professional medical help was immediate but ultimately unsuccessful. This wonderful on-line community stands ready to offer anything in assistance. My sincere condolences to all involved.

Yeeha! Stephen

What!!!! No Way!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rodger... Our fixture at Jack's Playground???!!!!

I'm crushed. Signman!

What to say? What to say?

Of course thoughts and prayers to family and friends.

I hope he considered me a friend as I considered him...

See ya' on the other side my friend :cry:

I never met this fellow, but after reading the very moving responses to this tragic news I feel pretty sure I would have taken a huge liking to him. My heart goes out to his family and friends. This is a very sad thing.

Speechless... Top of the Rockies and the area Rodger christened as "Jack's Playground" will never be the same.

Here's Rodger (on the right) holding down the fort at TOR 2006...

81906152_MnwpX-M.jpg

I have this sign in my garage...

81905944_qQvpp-M.jpg

So...so... sorry.

Mike O

My heart is breaking and I’m still numb but I hope this message will be cathartic. Rodger had so many friends and I count myself as one. I met Rodger seven years ago when I was a Harley bum. Rodger relentlessly tried to show me the error in of my ways and I should go with the LT. I took his advice and Rodger and I have ridden more than 15K miles together since. Many, many great things will be said and remembered about Rodger over the next few days.

I won’t go into any details about the accident except to say Rodger did not suffer. I’m truly dumbfounded at the amount of empathy and compassion expressed at the scene. The doctor and nurse came from the long line of traffic that shortly backed up. They ran up for all they were worth to lend assistance. People came running from their vehicles to see if they could help. There is still much good in mankind despite what you hear.

Sue and Rodger’s family will need the support and prayers this forum generates as we mourn and celebrate Rodger over the next few weeks. Lastly, please don’t miss an opportunity to tell someone you are close to that they matter.

I have been reading this thread for a bit now.... over and over again. No words... just sorrow. Our heart goes out to his family..... :cry:

Shawn

Unbelievable....sad news to say the least. Has there been any thought as to we as members of the board can help? Early I know, but we should start thinking about it......

Family support is so important now.....

I'm stunned, really stunned. :cry:

I always enjoyed talking to Rodger at Torrey and other events. He was a truly good soul with a delightful sense of humor. This is awful, just awful.

My prayers and condolences to Sue and his family, and everyone in our riding community knew and loved Rodger.

:cry::cry::cry:

Nice n Easy Rider

Such terrible news. I didn't know Roger but he obviously touched many people in very special ways. My condolences to his family and friends.

Never met Rodger, sadly I never will. R.I.P. Condolences to the family.

Requiem æternam dona eis, Domine, et lux perpetua luceat eis. Te decet hymnus Deus, in Sion, et tibi reddetur votum in Ierusalem. Exaudi orationem meam; ad te omnis caro veniet. Requiem æternam dona eis, Domine, et lux perpetua luceat eis.

Domine, Jesu Christe, Rex gloriæ, libera animas omnium fidelium defunctorum de pœnis inferni et de profundo lacu. Libera eas de ore leonis, ne absorbeat eas tartarus, ne cadant in obscurum; sed signifer sanctus Michæl repræsentet eas in lucem sanctam, quam olim Abrahæ promisisti et semini ejus.

Hostias et preces tibi, Domine, laudis offerimus; tu suscipe pro animabus illis, quarum hodie memoriam facimus. Fac eas, Domine, de morte transire ad vitam. Quam olim Abrahæ promisisti et semini ejus.

Lux æterna luceat eis, Domine, cum sanctis tuis in æternum, quia pius es. Requiem æternam dona eis, Domine; et lux perpetua luceat eis.

Dennis Andress

I cry more and more as this terrible news slowly sinks in. As I read this thread for the 5th time I felt the pain of a member of this group being taken away. Roger was there at nearly every gathering I've attended. I'll bring those memories of him to all the future ones.

My heart goes out to Sue and their family. And to all the people at Torrey.

Dennis

380447214_pc2QV-L.jpg

I am at a loss for words. This is such a tragic loss. I can't express how much I'll miss Rodger.

Sue, my thoughts are with you and your family. I am so sorry to hear this.

Almost every memory or mental picture I have of Rodger involves him smiling and laughing, or making others laugh. It's hard to believe we won't see him or laugh with him again. He'll be missed by a lot of people throughout the country.

I'm heartbroken for Sue, as well as for the rest of their family. You have my thoughts and prayers.

380458998_WJeYc-M.jpg

To Roger: My friend, you never know when the Big Man upstairs will call your name. Yours was softly spoken today and your spirit soared beyond the bright blue into the star-filled infinite. We will remember the generosity of your huge heart, the wacky, cornball humor, and the love for your Sue, family and the sport of motorcycling. My the heavens be filled with gorgeous sweepers and vistas beyond your wildest dreams. We all shall meet up again soon. See ya at the next overlook.. PS: Don't forget the kermit chair and the beer...it's your turn to light up the campfire.

To Sue: Our hearts break for you, my friend... To have your beloved Roger so suddendly called away. May you and yours be comforted by the knowledge though we all mourn his loss, there are many more welcoming Roger home now with open arms.

To Greydude: Not many people get to go their great reward with a beloved friend and commrad at their back. Thank you...for being there for Roger ... and for all of us.

May all the tears shed for Roger water the precious hopes of a bright tomorrow and the future to come. Happy trails.

God bless... The Mayor and the Power behind the Throne...

Brent and Lisa Harmes Parker, CO

Thank You for the beautiful Requium for Roger. Brent ( Sioux City, Ia) and I (Akron,Ia) are in awe of the Latin. Nothing more sacred and moving as that prayer. We loved Roger from the moment we met at Paonia years ago. We were repeat guests at his home, lately last December. Last time I saw him and Sue. He took my breath away w/ the stories of the wildfires that surrounded his home in Ramona. Look us up if you get a chance to come to Colorado. I would love to meet you... Thanx - Brent and Lisa Harmes Parker , CO

Yeeha! Stephen
Almost every memory or mental picture I have of Rodger involves him smiling and laughing, or making others laugh. It's hard to believe we won't see him or laugh with him again. He'll be missed by a lot of people throughout the country.

I'm heartbroken for Sue, as well as for the rest of their family. You have my thoughts and prayers.

380458998_WJeYc-M.jpg

Oh My! Laney...

I've managed to squeeze back a tear or two with the other pictures shown, but one got away with this one. Photo taken at the little Gunny Reunion right before Top of the Rockies Rally and the start of Jack's Playground. Uggggh! Tugs at the heart strings.

I just bought a new helmet and was thinking of moving my Jack's Playground sticker over to the new one. I can't now, I might ruin it.

4026.jpg

I feel for those of you who knew Rodger well and got to see him more often than I did. TOR & Jack's Playground, a new BMWST tradition, is gonna be a rough place to visit now.

4026.jpg.15546d17a06cae0053bfc1b21ee9ad78.jpg

It's been a few hours and a few tears later and we are still at a loss for words to express our shock and sorrow. It seems like just yesterday we saw his smiling face and heard the laughter in his voice. Rodger you will be missed.

Sue, our deepest sympathy goes out to you and the family. If you need anything you know we are not far away. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Steve and PJ

Francois_Dumas

At days like this I wish I would NOT read BMWST first to start my day.

Such tragic news. Especially tragic because such a little, innocent mishap can have such grave consequences.

Our heart goes out to Roger's wife, family and all of his friends.

Archived