IGNORED

seat

taters

help!!! i bought a bill mayer saddle because after 30 miles on the stock seat for my 2004 r 1150rt my butt was killing me. now my butt starts to really hurt after 80 miles. i am glad i bougth the bill mayer saddle but i would not again. i would look at sargeant or cee bailleys/ anyway i saw an add for an airhawk seat cushion. price $169 anyone here have one? i need some feedback. thanks

Both seats hurt...hmmm, maybe it's just y blush.gif ur...rear?

> i bought a bill mayer

You didn't send you butt over for a "sit-in"? Maybe visit his shop for an adjustment would make thing better?

I am planning to customized seat. Bill Meyer charge $499. I found also:

Angelo's Upholstery

6123 Vineland Ave

North Hollywood, CA 91606

818-985-3453

I haven't contacted Angelo's but I saw a thread here talking about $10-$20 cost.

I am wondering what $499 get?

Les is more
Russell Day Long. It's called that with good reason. I can and have spent more than 12 hours in the saddle, stopping only for gas and have happily gotten up and put my butt back in the saddle again the next day and the day after that. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
R1100RT_Ray

Try a sheep skin (on the bike seat that is), or a beaded seat cover. Much of your problem might be the hot weather??? (butt burn)

Are you sitting up straight? I ride with my toes on the pegs which puts more weight on my legs and less on the end of my spine.

Jerry_75_Guy

What Leslie said. I don't have the Russell seat, but it's in my future, from

what the research I've done says.

In the interim, I purchased a Airhawk add on for my wife; she went from

pain after 100 to 150mi, to no pain after 450mi (her longest day so far).

Airhawk works.

However, if you can swing the cash, just get the Russell and be done with it,

I doubt you'd be sorry.

PS we tried the sheep skin (tried the cheapest option first). It added

about 50 to 70mi for her, but she was still sore at the end of the day.

YMMV

Les is more

No Clyde,

The Russell is a custom seat built to your height, weight, inseam and photos of how you sit on your bike. It's built on your seat pan and can be done mail-in or ride-in. My husband Jamie did his through the mail with no problems. I rode in for mine. It was an interesting experience as I got to watch my seat being made.

These seats aren't cheap but they are first rate in my mind (wait, does that say something about where my head is? dopeslap.gif) and are used by many, many distance riders. A trip to the link I provided should answer all of your questions.

Happy sitting! smile.gif

Just completed an 11 day (4600 mile) ride through Colorado and Wyoming. Have the low seat option on the RT but use the AirHawk pad I originally bought for the CS. Last day was an 800 mile ride from Denver to Plano (Dallas) with only gas and an occasional 10 min stretch-the-legs stop. Was tired but not sore! smile.gif

thanks for all the imput but i paid $500 for the bill mayer saddle and i can't afford to be buying another for $500. so i was hoping i would hear from some airhawk owners.thanki you all for your feedback

You could:

1. See if the seat just needs to be broken in. Ride it 1000 miles, see if it get's better. My custom seat did.

2. Send it back in for an adjustment. Tell him in detail what is wrong, (No fibbing on your size and weight) and see if he can fix it.

3. Catch him at a rally

http://billmayersaddles.com/rallypage.html

Grand Teton WY and Sipapu NM are coming up under 900 miles from you. If you are there when he works on the seat, he might be better able to see where the problem is.

4. If none of this works for you, take him up on his satisfaction guarantee.

help!!! i bought a bill mayer saddle because after 30 miles on the stock seat for my 2004 r 1150rt my butt was killing me. now my butt starts to really hurt after 80 miles. i am glad i bougth the bill mayer saddle but i would not again. i would look at sargeant or cee bailleys/ anyway i saw an add for an airhawk seat cushion. price $169 anyone here have one? i need some feedback. thanks

I won't tell you what seat I use, because seats are like blue jeans. You have to wash them a few times and break them in. I can't tell from your description, but (pun intended) a couple of 30 or 80 mile trips is NOT enough to break either the stock or Bill Mayer saddle in. Try this:

1. Wear proper riding pants and undies (do a search on this site there is MORE than enough information on good underoos)

2. Try the seat for several longer stretches (and then longer until you've accumulated at least 1000 miles on the seat)

3. Also check out Master Yoda's Riding Position to follow good riding posture. No saddle will satisfy you if you're placing weight in the wrong areas of your body

If all else fails, borrow a seat (or cushion, or beads or whatever) from another rider. You'll go broke trying it all out on your own dime.

Good luck...

Regards,

Mike O

We have a appointment in Ojai in a couple of weeks to have Rocky build a seat for our 1150 RT....Well put that seats are like jeans...Different strokes, etc.....Looking forward to the new seat...We (it's Kathy's bike, I ride the K 75) are fortunate that we live very close and can ride up there to have it done with "butts on site", so to speak thumbsup.gif....

Phil........Redbrick..

Last Tues, I rode 830 mi. (100 degrees, 30+ mph winds) on my CBailey. Worth considering, more reasonably priced than many others. FWIW.

I hate to think how much I spent on seats before I bought the Airhawk...No more seats for me..The Airhawk on any seat works for me.. clap.gif

I just got back from Lima that I rode to on my stock seat (R12RT) with a Airhawk. First stop at Lima was Rick Mayer's booth to order a seat. On the way home, the Airhawk stayed in the topbox and I felt better when I got home 750 miles later.

BTW, Rick will do your 5th seat free! The 12RT is my forth with my wife looking at the K12GT...

Rob Lessen

Arma, KS

'73 Honda XL250

'91 R100GSPD (Rick Meyer solo seat)

'96 R11RS (Rick Meyer seat)

'05 R12RT (Rick Meyer seat ordered, Sept build date)

Archived