IGNORED

Anyone use a lever lock?

SCOTTinNJ

I need to buy a lock for a bike I just purchased. Instead of the standard disk lock, I'm thinking a lever lock might be a better alternative.

X1GripSW.jpg

Has anyone ever used one? Comments? Thoughts?

These are some that I found available.

LockItt Company

Thanks.

Oh yea, here's the new bike:

29510177-S.jpg

29510167-S.jpg

Hi Scott,

Any locking device is better than nothing for sure. They repell the amatuers while making it difficult for the ambitious.

However the leading syle/method of bike theft is physically picking them up and toss in the back of a van and drive off. They'll drive off with the alarm still going off in the back of the van too. The lighter sport bikes become helps the thieves for sure. They all become parts bikes and under ground networked with the parts showing up at race tracks,e-bay/auction sites,etc.

Use the steering head lock and secure the front and rear wheels.

If possible, use at least a 1/2" stainless steel cable run through the frame and the biggest baddest lock you can find.

good luck,

I use one in addition to my chain and disc lock - yup I am paranoid grin.gif

The best use I have found for this device is when I am transporting the bike on a ferry or trailer, locks on the front brake to assist in keeping the bike in place.

Cya, Andy thumbsup.gif

Scott,

I have both a disc lock and lever lock device. Honestly, I have yet to use them. As TOOL stated, they will pick the bike up, alarm blaring, toss it in a truck and away they go.

The cheapest form of security is: good Lighting, people moving about and a BIG Padlock with a wire rope cable. Check out NASHBAR.com, a bike part retailer. They sell these guys on sale.

Good Luck and keep a watchful eye on that EyE Candy!!!

Happy Ridin' thumbsup.gif

Oh, sorry guys. Maybe I should have been clearer. I'm not looking for a lock to provide the ultimate in protection. I know the limitations of disk locks/lever locks.

I keep the bike in my garage at night, so I'm not so worried there. This would be for times where I have it parked for a little while, like say at a restaurant. It wouldn't be the type of thing where a thief could scope it out for weeks or even days.

I'm figuring that this would help a little in that situation. There really isn't enough storage on the bike for a big cable, so that's not going to work.

At least with the lever lock it would take a few strong people to lift the bike. They couldn't just roll it up a ramp and onto a transport vehicle.

At least those were my thoughts. Sound right?

Not on any of our BMWs, but had one previously on a cruiser and liked it pretty well.

Until someone stole it.

Not on any of our BMWs, but had one previously on a cruiser and liked it pretty well.

Until someone stole it.

Sorry to hear that. Thanks for the ringing endoresment. Maybe I should consider a "full Monty" lock.

Oh yea, here's the new bike:

29510177-S.jpg29510167-S.jpg

No matter what anyone else says, I think you are very brave to show a picture of your new bike on this board. ...given that it is sitting on a trailer! grin.gifeek.gifgrin.gif
No matter what anyone else says, I think you are very brave to show a picture of your new bike on this board. ...given that it is sitting on a trailer! grin.gifeek.gifgrin.gif

Hey, I bought the thing 3 states away! That would have been one hell of an illegal ride back. confused.gif

Archived