IGNORED

Who will decide which wheels I will get?

ClearwaterBMW

If you are going to go offroad, get spokes. Otherwise, don't. Some may say you don't even need spokes offroad if you are going to stick to graded fireroads. I don't have enough experience to comment. But better safe than sorry, I suspect. Same goes if you don't know whether you will be offroad. Or get 'em both and keep knobbies on the spokes and road rubber on the alloy ones. If money were no object, that's what I'd do. A spare set of a wheels is a very handy thing.

--sam

Spokes.

IMHO, they are better looking.

They are definitely stronger.

They are faster! wink.gif

And, they will add value at trade-in or when you sell. clap.gif

Plus, the GS was built for spokes! thumbsup.gif

Well I have the spokes, like the looks of the cast better, know the spokes are stronger and more desirable, but find them a PITA to keep clean.

So does that help? tongue.gif

I went with the alloy wheels, since most of my riding is on sealed roads or on formed gravel roads. They probably get cleaned about every 3 months.

The dealer I bought the bike from went to the launch in South Africa. One of the other dealers at the launch wanted to test how strong the alloy wheels were, so he went all out to bend them or dent them. Apparently he was very impressed that he had not managed to do so.

It all depends on where and how you intend to ride. If you never intend riding on really rough off-road tracks, then I think the alloy wheels would be preferable. Look better. Easier to clean. I have no idea how they affect resale value, though, and have no intention of finding out in the foreseeable future.

ClearwaterBMW

thos low profile spinners will go along with the rest of the "pimpin'" a lot of us to do our GS's.

some folks have curb feelers, others get rear huggers

the pimps want suede headliners... we go for custom seats.

maybe we aren't that much different at all

greg

Spokes. I have not washed my bike for months and they look much better than dirty alloys. They are not that much more labor intensive to clean than alloys and quite possibly safer, should you strike a large object on the street.

Greg it will be an easy decision for you..... here let me help you...

Do you ride ON ROAD or OFF ROAD most of the time ?

The rims are easier to wash and have not let me down even when riding the gravel and secondary crappy roads.... Spokes are good for mud and wet crap that can stick to a mag.... so go order a set of nice RIMS without the spokes... you will be happy that way.... Man i love my GS !

Archived