IGNORED

what 1200GS rear hugger?

ClearwaterBMW

ClearwaterBMW

Don't like the stock rear hugger/does nothing to keep dirt off the underside of the seat. do NOT want to spend a million bucks on some carbon fiber piece

so....

what should i do?

thanks in advance

greg

The inside of any mudguard is going to get muddy, how about a hose and bucket? I took the low slung rear mudguard off my 1150-GS and covered the mounting tabs with a slick little black plastic cover. I have never been able to see any dirt back there when I'm looking over the handlebars.

How 'bout do nothing. Almost 30k on my 12GS's and seat still clean. Where do you plan to ride? Thought you posted no off road riding. I have about 30 friends with the 12GS/haven't seen a hugger yet. Save the money and get a good top box.

ClearwaterBMW

glad you said that marty

i just read something... help me if you will

i wanted the bike with ALL 3 BMW boxes

but, now i hear that the BMW top box has been known to come off.... is that true?

should i be looking for something else?

if i DO get the bmw top box/that backrest stinks.... and i MUST make my wife happy

so.....

any ideas about that as well?

thanks so much in advance

greg

I haven't noticed any mud on the bottom of the seat, but what I have noticed, and what annoys me when riding on damp gravel roads or through roadworks with wet gravel, is the amount of dirt thrown up onto the back of my boots. The front of my boots are still black, the rear is grey. For that reason I'd like a hugger than covers the front part of the rear wheel. But so far I haven't found one of a suitable quality at a price I'm willing to pay.

Regarding the BMW luggage, both the topcase and the sidecases have been known to fall off. The 'mushroom' brackets holding the side cases have to be adjusted correctly to hold the cases firmly in place. The main problem with the topcase was that the plastic mounting plate fixed to the bike was too flimsy and could warp, leaving the topcase to move around and go flying on occasion. I haven't seen the latest mounting plates, but have heard that they have been strengthened. I have heard of one situation where the metal locking mechanism on the topcase itself broke the plastic parts holding it, and the topcase went flying. But that was on a rough adventure ride, on a thousand kms or more of backcountry dirt tracks.

I'm trying to think through the luggage options myself. I've been wading through the threads here and on Adventure Rider that describe/compare what's available. I'm leaning toward the BMW cases at this point and will probably order something this week.

Last week I ordered a Stealth Backrest from the Pirate's Lair for my GS. I had one on my R1150R for the last couple of years and my wife loved it. We ride together often and she was concerned that the contact point for the pad on the BMW top box appeared too high to offer much lumbar support. (For what it's worth, she seems as pleased with the GS as I am. Her first ride was approx. 200 miles and she indicated that pillion comfort was much better that on the Roadster.)

I expect to receive the back rest sometime this week and will let you know how it works out.

Archived