IGNORED

Problem with Jesse's on the R1200GS ???

mark5lam

What problem? 27k on mine. I think those were installed wrong. No way for that to happen on my bike. The two pieces are not even close. Dozens, if not hundreds of us are piling on the miles with Jesse's installed.

I assume the dealer who was quoted was just trying to sell the plastic fly off/break off tid bits to the guy.

RichEdwards

I agree that the problem is incorrect installation. (Of course, I had help from Marty installing mine. thumbsup.gif)The boxes have performed perfectly for 14K so far.

29437092-M.jpg

Hey, so THAT's where that mark on my mudgard came from.

I don't know if I'd call it a problem. I though some dope kicked my mudgard leaving a footprint on it.

So, anyone care to guess how it's installed wrong? Or is this just my payment for jumping railroad grades? grin.gif

Yup, sure enough, went a looked, that's what happened to mine.

Looking at the brackets, and how they are installed, I'm missing where I can get an extra 1/2" of clearance back there without refabricating the bracketry.

steve.foote

Interesting. On our "this is some stupid sh&t" tour during the UnRally, I fully compressed the rear suspension on my bike several times and have no mark on my mud flap.

Either there is an installation deviance, or Jesse may have changed one or more of the brackets at some point.

Just a note: I installed my Jesse's myself.

Jesse does ship a lic. plate brkt that I thought was ugly...gave it the deep six. It would have to compress down about 6 inches to reach the thingie. Hard to believe that is possible. More like 8-9 inches on my bike with the stock bracket.

On our "this is some stupid sh&t" tour during the UnRally, I fully compressed the rear suspension on my bike several times and have no mark on my mud flap.

My flap was fine during this trip, as well! At least something was! grin.gifeek.gif

"Jesse does ship a lic. plate brkt that I thought was ugly...gave it the deep six."

Hmm... The back of my bike looks like the back of Rich's bike.

And it's not the plate frame that hits, it's the round bar between the left and right main mounts. The "lower rear support" I think it is.

I'm looking at the install instructions, and I've looked at the bike. I wonder if this is just a tolerance issue?

I'll give Al's a call next week too. Steve, interested in swapping some digi-photos of this stuff see if we can't find out what's busted with mine?

Thanks for the picts Steve, after dinner (late night at work) I'll take a look. BTW, your PM inbox is full.

It would have to compress down about 6 inches to reach the thingie. Hard to believe that is possible. More like 8-9 inches on my bike with the stock bracket.

Agreed, measured, 10-11" on mine between the mark and the bar. About the same as your 10.5" you reported on Advrider Marty. I also am left scratching my head.

I'm sure something is just tweaked a bit here or there.

steve.foote

Thanks for the heads up Steve. I was wondering why it got so quite on the PM front the last few days. smile.gif

From the email I just sent ya:

Thanks for the picts.

So it all looks normal. Grr..

The bend in that tube that runs between the sides lower in the back... How far back/forward is yours pointing? It's hard to tell from yours, but it's slanted down it appears. No?

Mine was pointed straight forward. So it was as much "in the way" as it could have been. I probably got a 1/4" by rotating it down ~50deg.

Other than that, it all looks normal. I did think that the rear upper support looked a wee bit crooked. So I started loosening things up. WTF bolt sizes does Al use? Not 5mm by any of my tools. SnapOn, craftsman, generic. 5.5mm is too big, nor does any inch-size fit (I've got em in 32nds).

I rounded one out w/ the 5mm trying to get it out. Happy me, NOT.

steve.foote

Steve, mine are a snug 5mm. I wonder if the original installers started rounding them for you? This is the primary reasons I like to DIY.

Nope, they look perfect/spotless inside before I started.

Weird.

What about that bar in back? If/when you get a chance, can you give an idea of it's angle? I think that might be the ticket.

steve.foote

If you can imagine starting with the bent part of the bar pointing straight down (bike on centerstand), mine is rotated forward about 30 degrees. The taillight bracket forces it in that direction.

OK, that's where mine is now. The marked spot, where it rubbed, is now pointing straight down. I'd guess I've got 1/4" more clearance now fore/aft than before.

It was pointing straight forward.

FYI, turns out the bolts I was having trouble with not only have nuts on the back, but are threaded into the bracket as well. Once I loosened up the nuts on the back all was OK. The fit of the hex isn't perfect, but THIS was more my problem. DOH. Not having installed them, didn't know.

Had them all loosened up, figuring that there must have been SOME slop that I could work into wiggle room here or there. Nope. The three stock bag mount spots on the tail section pretty much locked things in solid. I'm pretty darn impressed with this stuff.

BUT I'm still left wondering why my mudguard hit that lower rod thing. frown.gif

Archived