IGNORED

BMW Top case on R1200GS

RevRay

Fellow Members, Its been a while since I last logged on I've been lurking. I picked up a R1200GS in late february really enjoying it. Last month while on a superslab in hit a bump in the road, got slammed in the back by my top case, my first thought was I just got rear ended. I managed to get to the side of the Hwy with out dropping the case clap.gif. I had removed case earlier to show friend, ok I wrote off incident as improperly mounted. With that said I check mount before each departure. Last week I hit rough surface on service rd. into Manhattan and lost case at about 45 50 miles per. Case was empty both times. I was not able to catch it this time and it slid on asphalt for 200 feet. Upon closer examination I found crack in plastic by locking mechanism has anyone else experienced problems with expanding cases. ?

There are several cases of it happening. Here's one. I've since moved it to the pillion position and developed a tether solution.

steve.foote

I've seen it first hand. The rider hit a hard bump and the top case launched off the bike like a poptart.

It kind of looked like a cluster bomb when it hit the ground. grin.gif

Upon closer examination I found crack in plastic by locking mechanism has anyone else experienced problems with expanding cases.
Mine is cracked on the underside there too. But I'm not sure that particular crack is related to the latch mechanism. It seems to be in a more cosmetic spot. I've really tugged on mine hard and can't seem to get it to fail. At any rate I haven't had any issues with mine coming loose. Yet.

Those of you that have had failures (David, Tasker, others), when they were replaced your top case under warranty did they say they were failing and falling off specifically because of the front-to back-crack on the underside by the latch? If so, I may reinforce that location as a preventative step.

Although mine hasn't fallen off, even on rough roads, I decided to hold it down so it couldn't fall off. It's not going to win any prizes for looks, but if BMW don't like it they can give me a mounting bracket that is solid and dependable. smile.gif

469633-topcasetie.jpg

Ken, If your case is cracked in same location as mine it might be a good idea to reinforce it. Made trip to dealer today the bad news is although he warranty another top case earlier this year he was advised by BMW not to warranty anymore. He sugguested I contact BMW customer Relations (but could not give me the phone number). If anyone out there has inside track corparate headquarters Info it wouuld be greatly appreciated.

Ray

ClearwaterBMW

i don't like the sound of this thread as i just decided about getting the backcase on the new GS i'm picking up in 4 days.

are you all saying that i should NOT get that backcase?

greg

Hey, it's kind of fun. You get to either tie them down or watch the bouncing ball in you mirror. It's not like there the only top boxes available. What do you think you should do?

ClearwaterBMW

i just posted the question on the other thread

so, it's time to ask

which boxes then...

i want the 3 and i do NOT really want some utilitarian ones from the Baja 1,000

it is NOT about fashion to me.... i just want to keep with the look of the bike

greg

it is NOT about fashion to me.... i just want to keep with the look of the bike

Sounds like fashion to me grin.gif go with the BMW case and tether it down. You can get a black or silver tether and it'll match the case thumbsup.gif

ClearwaterBMW

some folks say that the newer ones don't fall off anymore, and that it was a problem with the original ones.

any truth to that?

for the money that thing costs... one ought NOT to have to tether it down

greg

The farther we go forward the more we return to the past. Looks like BMW is going backwards rapidly.....remember the old Krauser bag that used to be OEM equipment with optional bungie cords to keep the lids closed...

I don't know, for the guys and gals following behind you who might be getting a bit bored with the trip, the BMW top case might give them something to do (read avoid) and certainly a good show to watch (read top case taking flight).

You need to think about the entertainment value for your friends! grin.gif

ClearwaterBMW

oh

and i was going to leave it filled with caviar... so it would spash ever-so-softly into your mouth... as a taste explosion, after the case hit the ground

eat well, my friend

your gourmand

greg

Go with a Givi and be done with it. thumbsup.gif

Since fashion is not an issue, you won't mind that it looks like a Weber grill. grin.gif

Archived