IGNORED

Holy crap (18k service?)

stubble!

I was just quoted a price of $775 USD for an 18k service including valve check, coolant, and air filters on my k1200s.

Seems pretty high. Is it?

Well yeah, but if that's the going rate, I'll pay it, but lets just say this dealer has been pretty underwhelming, so I figured I better ask :)

Sounds like you need to go to some Tech Days,,,,,,A lot of that service can be done your self,,Then have them do the valves,coolant flush and what ever you cant do,,,

Like Tim said have them requote for valves and coolant only. You bring the bike in completely stripped, even better if you can trailer it there totally bare bones. Get some hours knocked off to bring the cost down.

It's still over $500 for them to do the "stuff" we can't do on these bikes...yet!!!

SF BMW does it in less than a day, but they don't have loaner bikes since they moved. Service Manager (Eisa the Great) says soon perhaps.

Your air filters should have been changed at 12K and good for another 12K. Nothing's cheap in California either...or anywhere else I know of. It still seems high.

I've had an R bike and, so far, knock on wood, my K bike has been much cheaper and easier to maintain.

There are so many SMART people on this site that if you go to enough tech daze, you'll be able to do this stuff yourself after a little guidance and practice. So, get it done and put your money on the tech daze when ever its close enough to attend.

Dont feel to bad. I went to the doctors today for my checkup.

Routine 700 dollar bill. The diagnosis he gave me almost sent me into shock. He told me I am getting older. Thanks Doc.

Bobby, you need to understand that the K bikes are not user friendly.

They currently need to be serviced at the dealer.

This may help you make a decision in your own purchasing of a bike.

Bobby you need to understand that the K bikes are not user friendly.

They currently need to be serviced at the dealer.

This may help you make a decision in your own purchasing of a bike.

The new Ks need to be serviced at the dealer.

The old Ks (which he seems to be more interested in) can be serviced by owners.

The 18k service involves checkng a bunch of stuff, plus oil change, valve check (and therefore coolant). It's also due for a brake flush (2yrs old). According to my maint schedule, it's not due for air filters yet, but close enough. I do oil myself, and will be doing FD soon too. The rest is dealer-only as far as I can tell. (If Richard isn't doing it, then I'm sure as hell not going to blaze a trail! :) )

The above quote is (I believe) ONLY for valves, coolant, and air filters. The service manager at this dealer is nice, but not very communicative. I mention this only because it adds a potential for confusion, hence the "I believe".

I called around, and I'm getting significantly better pricing from the other two semi-nearby dealers, so I guess I have to decide if the premium is worth the convenience (and the concern from prior experiences there.)

I was just quoted a price of $775 USD for an 18k service including valve check, coolant, and air filters on my k1200s.

Seems pretty high. Is it?

I had mine done last month for $321.25 which included checking valves ($126), oil, filter, plugs, coolant.

• 2 months later...

Update:

So, I'm not sure what the first guy was quoting (maybe the adjustment labor too?), but I finally got around to getting this done at the same dealer, but with a new service manager, and it came to $420 for the 18k (valve check, coolant, oil change, and plugs). Didn't include air filters, and the valves were all spot on. They took good care of me, and I'm pretty satisfied.

Sebastian..

I think you'll find the valves don't need much. Check 'em and forget 'em...

I've got an older K (1998) and they have been spot on since 12k...The brakes are pretty much the same, the rest you could do. Coolant change is easy. $400 bucks every few years isn't bad..

MB>

Thanks Mark. From what little I know, the coolant on this baby isn't trivial, it takes some sort of pressurized setup to charge it. And new coolant is required by the valve check process. Valve check and plugs are currently specced every 18k. That means $400 every year or maybe two, which I can live with. It's a lot better than the original quote double that.

I can do most of the rest myself. Hey Richard, have you done brake flushes on the GT yet?

I can do most of the rest myself. Hey Richard, have you done brake flushes on the GT yet?

Nope, shame on me! I wanted to do it at my Tech Daze, but didn't seem to have the time...I'm gonna kidnap Boney one day and we'll figure it out!!! At least the tank doesn't have to come off and only on fairing!

..... Hey Richard, have you done brake flushes on the GT yet?

Nope, shame on me! I wanted to do it at my Tech Daze, but didn't seem to have the time...I'm gonna kidnap Boney one day and we'll figure it out!!!

:lurk::lurk:

Calvin  (no socks)

I just got a few new BG machines at work... I may see if I can flush the coolant on my S. Will report back on rear end flush, brake flush, intake cleaning, injector purge, etc... Gimme a week or two.. during the holidays it will be slow, so I will have time at work. It can't be rocket science, or can it? :eek:

Thanks Mark. From what little I know, the coolant on this baby isn't trivial, it takes some sort of pressurized setup to charge it. And new coolant is required by the valve check process. Valve check and plugs are currently specced every 18k. That means $400 every year or maybe two, which I can live with. It's a lot better than the original quote double that.

This thread reminds me why I didn't get the KGT, I'll quietly crawl back to the R side of the fence now. Damn no crawling or fetal icons.

This thread reminds me why I didn't get the KGT, I'll quietly crawl back to the gi R lie side of the fence now. Damn no crawling or fetal icons.

Fixed. :wave:

This thread reminds me why I didn't get the KGT, I'll quietly crawl back to the gi R lie side of the fence now. Damn no crawling or fetal icons.

:rofl: Thanks, I needed that before my wife drags my arse to the mall.

this may help:

linky

Without part #s it didn't help me much...

How come the new(?) fluid is pink and the old(?) fluid is blue?

Are you sure this isn't some sort of gender change operation? ;)

No, seriously, are they just different brands or does the fluid change colors that dramatically from being used? :lurk:

Tall Guy, you are soooo Busted! :grin:

How come the new(?) fluid is pink and the old(?) fluid is blue?

He is replacing his glycol mixed BMW coolant with Water Wetter mix, which is pink. Some track clubs require you run no glycol, car or bike. It (glycol) is slippery as snot on a wet rock and very hard to clean out of the asphalt...

Since I seem to be keeping the GT and can't/won't afford the dealer to mess with it, I will have to get up to speed on this also. Think Richard's link, the guy used this deal.

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/uv550000.html

Think the brake fluid change would be harder but only because of the unknown, when educated no problem. I mean, if they let the kids in dealerships do it, how hard can it be?

On a side note, just changed the coolant out on the 07 Tiger. It was muddy, so 3 flushes and cleaned the overflow bottle and filled with "engine ice" and 8 ozs of water wetter. Nice and blue now and only took 20 minutes. That was at 3k miles, and everyone has to do it.

Just got a call from BMW Omaha. 18k service (valves, new spark plugs, BMW synthetic), plus brake maintenance, plus FD flush (synthetic) - total of $644.73; that's not bad methinks...

Cool, I save almost $700 probably more at my dealer. Course got to subtract for the Amsoil and filter plus coolant (engine ice) and the little pressure gizmo another $100 (but one time expense).

I put in a new Bosch O2 sensor yesterday and did TPS, have not ridden to test yet. They say that the new O2 sensor will/should clear up the hesitation out of corners plus up the MPG. I will report back when I get a chance to test. The old one looked good to me.

They say that the new O2 sensor will/should clear up the hesitation out of corners.........

I will report back when I get a chance to test.

:lurk::lurk:

Here's the breakdown...

• 4 Spark Plugs, $82.00
  • 1 Gasket Ring, $2.21
  • 1 O-Ring, $1.38
  • 1 Hex Nut, $0.90
  • 1 Seal, $0.68
  • 1 Secondary Air Line, $38.77
  • Brake Fluid, $4.59 - brake system check & flush
  • 75/90 synthetic, $23.08 - final drive flush
  • 15W50 synthetic, $51.32
  • 1 Oil Filter, $16.18
  • Labor (5h@$75/h), $375.00
  • Shop Supplies, $15.00
  • Sales Tax, $33.62

Total: $644.73

Looks like the DIY'ers save approximately $400 (labor and some tax & shop supplies), not counting tools etc...

• 2 weeks later...
Calvin  (no socks)

Ok, got the coolant flush done.. cost me a nickel. Had spare coolant at the shop. Used a BG machine.. I wasn't impressed. It seems to waste a lot of coolant.

I have the vacumm/pressure tool in Richards link and could do it at home with or without it.. There are 3 bleed locations. Could hook up my brake bleeder suction tool and evacuate the air at these 3 locations.

Archived