IGNORED

'05 RT key: what security?

Clyde

According to the info, the new RT key exchange security info with the bike. So why the plastic key, I assume it has no ID electronic within, turn on the bike just the same?

Both the regular and plastic keys have a transponder in them. I just read some of info for dealers about getting replacement keys. BMWNA can't even make the keys. They have to come from the motherland.

BMW cars have a similar key system. Replacements have to be ordered from Germany and cost a bundle, as I learned on my '00 323iT. The plastic one is pretty delicate and considered an emergency spare for a wallet; it won't stand up to daily use.

an emergency spare for a wallet

Isn't that an oxymoron? My wallet gets daily use and I would not put anything fragile in it.

I was referring to the BMW car plastic key. I haven't seen the RT key, but it may be similar. The daily use of twisting the thin plastic BMW car key in a spring-loaded car ignition would distort it before too long from the torque, as BMW warns. The RT ignition wouldn't strain it as much, since there's little torque resistance upon turning it. Keeping it tucked in a flat wallet slot shouldn't harm it, even if it acquired a slight butt-shaped curve.

I carried my plastic key for the GS in my wallet daily for a year and it was fine when I traded the bike in. I have my RT key in the same spot. I don't miss place my wallet nearly as often as I do keys.

>>Both the regular and plastic keys have a transponder in them.

I see.

>>I just read some of info for dealers about getting replacement keys. BMWNA can't even make the keys. They have to come from the motherland.

While buying the bike, the dealer said replacement key is about $80.

Car key is $130 to replace. I just called my dealer and pick up in a few days as I remeber.

Archived