IGNORED

"Blind Spot" and a warning to motorcyclists

Gary in Aus

I have a 2008 Holden Caprice and have just discovered what I consider a serious design flaw.

I have had the Holden Caprice model for about the last 15 years as I use them as my business car and change them over every 15,000 kms or 12 months. The current shape is around 2 years old.

I also consider myself a motorcyclist aware driver.

Yesterday I was coming back from Sydney and a shiny new Ducati came up behind and as we approached the overtaking lane I thought I would have a good look at the bike as he went past . At the start of the overtaking lane , I pulled over to the left lane and watched him approaching in my drivers side mirror and as he came closer he disappeared completely . He wasn't going to pass me but just sat to the right and a bit back from my car and then he just disappeared from view.

I was leaning forward and turning my head to just find him , I could hear him but couldn't see him . I started adjusting the drivers outside mirror and could pick him up when the mirror was in a position that would be unusable for normal driving.

One of the obvious outcomes of this is if I wasn't looking for him and had the radio loud enough so that I couldn't hear him , I could have quite easily changed lanes either on top of him or into him. These cars are so soundproofed you can barely hear whats going on outside anyway.

When I arrived home I positioned my car and RT in my driveway and garage in a similar position and once again there was this "arc of view" that the bike disapeared in. I then used my 2007 Holden Berlina Wagon in the same position and could see the bike clearly , the same with my 2007 Subaru Imprezza and my 2008 Rodeo Dualcab 4x4. The Holden Caprice was the only one where this problem occured. I sat there for quite a while readjusting mirrors , seats etc to try and remove this blind spot.

I know there aren't many Holden Caprice in the US but it's smaller version is being sold as a Pontiac and not sure if it has the same "blind spot" issues but if you are sitting slightly beside and to the rear of one be careful they may not know you are there. The Caprice ,to me , has thick/bulky front and side pillars I think to accomodate all the safety gear and whether these ,the positioning of the mirrors or the positioning of the driver are the main cause , I don't know .

It may not hurt to have a mental list of vehicles of which to be wary. I have spoken to my riding friends about this and all have made a note not to ride in this position especially with this model car,

I wonder how many other cars have the same problem?

Check out your own vehicles.

I have spoken to my Holden dealer and I may not have been the first to have this problem , the representative suggested that Holden were "increasing the curve in the mirrors on future model to resolve the problems some drivers were experiencing".

He also suggested an aftermarket convex mirror attachment that sticks to the existing mirror. I have ordered one but once again how many are driving around unaware of how potentialy dangerous this is to motorcyclists.

Not happy !!

I have had a few cars over the years with blind-spot issues, though my current Vauxhall (Opel) Vectra is ok in that department.

As I rider I adopt a policy of being sure *I* can see the drivers face in the mirror, that way in the event they look into the mirror they will see me.

Andy

Calvin  (no socks)

It is ok... we don't have any Holdens here... :grin:

I work at an imported new car dealer... I drive all of our line regularly... with an increase in overall body strength the supporting members have increased in size... giving way to some rather large blind spots.....A few of our vehicles have a blind spot camera and warning system....it is pretty slick...

The motorcyclist was responsible for riding in your blind spot..... not a smart place to ride... especially on one of those truck trains in the Outback..

As a rider I adopt a policy of being sure *I* can see the drivers face in the mirror, that way in the event they look into the mirror they will see me.

Andy, Amen to that.. I use that same policy of if I can see them they can see me.. I use that same method when I’m in a car & am around large trucks.. Large trucks have a very large blind spot in their mirrors..

I try not to ride beside any vehicle but if I have to I do as you say & try to make sure I can se them in their OSRVM..

Twisty

I've always added wide angle convex spots to all my cars. The other advantage to them is that I can see the parking space lines when I back in.

On the bike, I have a phobea about being beside another vehicle. I will hang back and then speed up to get at least even with their hood if I can't get a clean pass.

Joe Frickin' Friday
It may not hurt to have a mental list of vehicles of which to be wary.

Ummm...all of them? :/

No doubt some cars out there have worse blind spots than others, but there are some drivers out there who use their mirrors exclusively, and there's no telling what cars they will be using. For some folks it's laziness, others it's deliberate. A coworker actually told me once that he thought it was a bad idea to turn one's attention away from the front while driving - to which I could only say: if you can't afford a split-second glance over your shoulder, you're following too GD close!!!!

My personal policy - whether I'm in a car or on a bike - is to not linger in blind spots. If I can't make a clean pass, I'll either pull back so I'm clear of the vehicle in the next lane, or forward so I'm even with that vehicle's front door, in clear direct view of the driver. Yes, I know this doesn't guarantee anything, but the less work you make the other guy do (e.g. forcing him to look over his shoulder to find you), the more you skew the odds in your favor.

I have an Honda Odyssey van and before that a Ford Aerostar. They both had serious blind spots. A small car or motorcycle could ride along side the Ford and be completely out of sight. I now routinely put convex mirrors on all my vehicles. Even then, I routine turn my head to look back before changing lanes, whether in the van or on one of my bikes........and never, never linger along side a vehicle on the freeway.

Archived