IGNORED

Throttlemeister owners please read.....

Lone_RT_rider

Lone_RT_rider

Ok, so I come out of work today and start the bike and head towards home. I notice right away that the throttle seems sticky. I try a bunch of different things to try and free it up but to no avail.

So the first thing I think is I need a new cable or three. So I try not to be abusive to it and I keep making my way home. I figure if it breaks I can use the high idle lever and make it home. But then, the thing starts to loosen up. My thought is that it was a really hot day (high 90's) and the thermal load on the Throttlemeister made it engage. After riding for a bit, the airflow across the bars maybe freed it up?

I have a 1999 R1100RT. Yes the cables are old and probably should be looked at, I just wondered if anyone else had the same kind experience with the sun and their Throttlemeister.

Anyone else have this happen?

Shawn

ShovelStrokeEd

Yeah, its not unusual. Actually its not the Throttlemeister but your throttle assembly that expanded with the heat. The sun puts out an amazing amount of heat.

For summertime usage, just take off the end of the Throttlemeister and put a thin plastic washer in the center and put it all back together. You can get the washers at Home Depot or Lowes. Size is 6mm. You will have to turn the TM a bit more to get it to engage but, some experimentation with thickness will get you in the ball park in a hurry. Same actually happens with heated grips in cooler weather.

Shawn......

As Ed mentioned, the heat obviously expanded everything and caused the grip to stick...I just installed a Throttlemeister on my wife's '04 1150 RT and in the instructions it says to turn the heated grips on high to heat everything up before setting the "credit card" type of space between the rubber grip and the 'meister...You can open up the space in there to allow for more expansion..Here's the instructions that came with mine:

1) Remove the bar end weight on throttle side (this doesn't apply it's already instaled).

2) Remove the switch plate (the plate where the kill switch is mounted) by removing 3 philips screws (2001 and earlier only have 2 philips screws, one on the top and one on the bottom). Gently pulloff the switch plate from throttle/brake assembly.

30 Loosen the clamping bolt (flat head 4 mm allen key) which will allow you to move the whole throttle and brake assembly.

4) Assemble the Throttlemeister (skip this, it's already on).

5) Turn the Throttlemeister counter clockwise 1/8 turn. The bronze piston should be sticking out about the thickness of a credit card.

6) Push the throttle/brake assembly against the bronze piston and tighten the clamp screw.

7) To engage the Throttlemeister, turn counter clockwise, same direction as increasing the throttle. The bronze piston should engage the end of the throttle tube, not the hand grip. (Make sure the grip does not contact any part of the Throttlemeister as this may cause the throttle to hang up).

8) After the correct adjustment has been determined disassemble, apply blue Loctite 242 to screw and reassemble.

9) Replace the switch plate.

10) (Is about putting the other side weight on)

Good luck.....

Phil.........Redbrick.. thumbsup.gif

Curious -- have a Bob's Wrist Rest and haven't had that problem. Is it because the tolerances on the Throttlemeister are that much tighter?

ShovelStrokeEd

Gary,

Not tolerance related at all. The Wrist Rest has a good deal more stroke than does the Throttlemeister.

I'm surprised this is the first time this has happened to you or that you noticed it. This became such a nuisance to me that I got rid of it and got the screw lock assembly.

I have been looking to purchase either a TM or a Bob's and just got totally confused. What does "good deal more stoke" mean?

ShovelStrokeEd

Barry,

Both of these devices work by twisting a knob to engage a cam that moves a chunk of metal up against the sleeve of the throttle assembly. The shape of the cam, and the amount of travel offered to take up clearance is much different between the two with the Wrist Rest offering about twice as much travel. The heat expansion takes place on the plastic sleeve of the throttle assembly and must be compensated for with the Throttlemeister, the Wrist Rest, with its additional stroke can be set initially to compensate and still have enough travel to handle cold conditions without further adjustment.

One difference is that Bob's rotates against the direction of the throttle to lock. You turn it away from you to engage it.

The TM goes the other way, you turn it away from you to disengage it. So you can grab both it and the TM roll off the throttle, and disengage.

The only downside I can see of more stroke is that you can lock the throttle tighter than you can with the TM. Where a properly adjusted TM still allows you to move the throttle even with the gizmo fully engaged.

As a big "feature" of the Bob's, it's knurled (sp?) so I'd guess it's easier to grab hold of than the smooth and stylish TM.

With some practice I got the TM adjusted to a point where it worked well, but didn't bind when the heated grips were on max, nor in the sun. I just engaged the TM 1/2 way, then pushed the grip-assembly against it.

Archived