IGNORED

Alaska on an R1200RT with a pillion....

BOOCH

I,m in the very very early stages of planning a retirement ride to Alaska on our R1200RT and NEED OPINIONS..........

Can the RT make it,without shaking all the tupperware loose or should I just get a dual sport bike?

Thanks In Advance

Steve

Hey Steve,

I too am in the same situation for next year. I have tons of off road experience plus tons on road. You can do the ride on either type of bike. I have an RT but I am looking into a GS or Adventure. Go to the below web site and check out the rides to Alaska on all kinds of bikes. Here are 2 stories that will peak your interest. PM me since we are in the same kind of work and close in area. :thumbsup::dopeslap:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=370960

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=342828

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375405

My Dad did a trip to Alaska and back on his Goldwing 1500. Considering it is an extremely overweight pig that has poor ground clearance........If it made the trip, I don't see any reason why a RT would have any trouble.

As a side note. When he got home, he had to replace every light on the front of the bike (driving lights, fog lights, and headlight housing). He also had to replace the windshield, and all of the decorative chrome/LEDs he had mounted on and around the front wheel and fender. It literally looked as if someone took a sand blaster to the front of the bike. All the lenses were either cracked and/or severely pitted.

Personally, I'm a LOOOOOOOONG way off from a retirement trip like that, but if I had a nice bike like a 1200RT......I would seriously consider picking up a different bike just to use for a trip like that. Something like a used 1150GS, Triumph Tiger, KTM Adventure, or V-Strom 1000........just to save the wear and tear on the RT. After seeing what the roads, gravel, and mug did to my old man's bike, I would have a really hard time taking a nice clean bike up there. Just my $.02

It depends on the roads that you ride on. The main road to Alaska (the "AlCan highway" is all paved as are the primary roads within the state and as long as you stay on those, you should have no problems on an RT. The only dirt you may experience will be in construction zones. I would NOT recommend taking the Top of the World Highway or the Dalton Highway which are mostly dirt. Could an RT make it on those roads? Sure, but it would chew em up pretty good and if it rained, the mud is referred to as "whale snot".

You can do AK many different ways. You can go up the Haul Road or the Dempster and try your luck.

Or you can go the safe route and stay on all paved Roads and relax. If ya go this way, you can do it on anything.

I went two up last year and did both....over 12,000 miles in about 35 days.

Do a search on Alaska in Ride Tales.........user name Whip, there are 17 episodes so far.

...or send me a pm with any questions you may have.

Whip

You can also look here LINKY (Whip, Mrs. Whip and I went together). Unfortunately I only completed documenting about 2/3 of the trip. Anyone want to buy a slightly used F650? :grin:

• 4 months later...

Steve,

In 2008, I rode my 1200RT on the Alaskan Highway, on the Dalton to the Arctic Circle, and back. I am sending you my phone number. Please contact me.

It was the best trip and well worth it on a RT. I think people have watched too much TV, viewed too many articles and internet postings saying you have to have the right bike to go on the Dalton or the Alaskan Highway. Over the last 30 years every bike imaginable has gone. Today, the Dalton and Alaskan Highway is much better and it does not take a special bike to do it. Just use common sense and if you know how to ride, it will be easy and fun! Besides, the few scratches I received from rocks and mud gives my bike character and provides me with stories to tell for many years to come. Go for it!

Yes, it can be done on a RT with a pillion... and has been done.

I personally know of a gentleman out of Jacksonville, FL that rode his RT all the way to Dead Horse. I've even seen a V-rod do it. Have a great trip :thumbsup:.

I,m in the very very early stages of planning a retirement ride to Alaska on our R1200RT and NEED OPINIONS..........

Can the RT make it,without shaking all the tupperware loose or should I just get a dual sport bike?

Thanks In Advance

Steve

An RT would make a great ride, especially for the passenger. A headlight protector of some flavor is a must. You might also want to put some paint protector vinyl film on forward surfaces of the bodywork. Both are available from Aerostich. The only caution is to slow down when the road gets bad, especially the section between Kluane Lake, YT and the Alaska border, and of course on gravel roads. Link.

AdventurePoser

Just go. Your RT will be fine, though it'll get plenty dirty!

Feel free to PM me if you need any pointers, opinions, or recommendations about places to visit while you are up there.

Cheers,

Steve in So Cal

I did it on a 1500 wing 2 years ago also (ride report was posted can be found using the search feature). I see no reason why you cannot do the same, I saw plenty of folks on just about every type/brand while I was on the road....

Thanks In Advance

Steve

An RT would make a great ride, especially for the passenger. A headlight protector of some flavor is a must. You might also want to put some paint protector vinyl film on forward surfaces of the bodywork. Both are available from Aerostich. The only caution is to slow down when the road gets bad, especially the section between Kluane Lake, YT and the Alaska border, and of course on gravel roads. Link.

Hello, "The Lone Librarian." You are completely right: "The only caution is to slow down when the road gets bad." I have scratches on my RT between "Kluane Lake, YT and the Alaska border." I also have some from the Dalton Hwy. Good advise. Another rider was killed two days prior to my arrival at the Arctic Circle. They said he was going too fast for the conditions and went right off the road.

Yes, it can be done on a RT with a pillion... and has been done.

I personally know of a gentleman out of Jacksonville, FL that rode his RT all the way to Dead Horse. I've even seen a V-rod do it. Have a great trip :thumbsup:.

You forgot about me. :cry: Prudoe Bay from Tallahassee Florida on a LT. 12060 miles round on one set of tires and no oil change. Miles saved from Hines City to Settle Wa, we did the ferry. :thumbsup: New shocks, throttle cables, new mirrow mounts, set of tires and a service once I got back. I would not do the top of the World Highway or the haul road on a RT with two up. If I was by myself yes, but it depends too much on the weather. We had great weather no rain. I heard that the those roads can be very tricky when when wet, to the point were they are not passable on a street bike and that would be not so great with a paseenger. Too much responsible with me, having baby momma on back. The construction zone are very motorcycle friendly. They let the motorcycles up front and just stay in the tire tracks the lead vehicle makes in the dirt. Some place usually in Cananda there are not warniings in some place when coming up to a gravel part of roadway, so you have to be on you your toes. Carry warm clothing, it was 33 degrees in Prudoe Bay going back to Deadhorse. Awesome trip and will one day do it again.

4205.jpg.91295796871345b89474bc179d587394.jpg

Haven't done it but by way of research read "Ghost Rider" by Neil Peart (ISBN 1550225464). A great read by itself but his experiences riding that way on a GS may be helpful.

Archived