IGNORED

Advice Needed - California Sierras Routes

Mr_Yuk

Julie and I are going from Los Angeles back to Washington State in early October. We will have gone down the coast to get to LA and I want to go back via the Sierra Nevada Mountains.

I figure I can get on Hwy 49 in Piedra and take it all the way to Susanville. Any suggestions for a better route or routes? We will have already been through Yosemite.

Thanks,

Rod

Firefight911

Ooh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Casa de Challinor is available for a stopover in Diamond Springs, CA.

LINKY

We can talk and get you want you want . . . no problemo!!!!!!

Whoa, great info and offer!

Phil, I will check our route distances and PM you, if I can remember how to do that. :dopeslap:

Jan, thanks for the info on seven passes.

Michael, we are just passing through and are not planning on spending days exploring the sights. A detour here and there would be OK. By the time we are on this leg of our journey we will have been on the road about three weeks, and will probably be ready to get home.

Thanks,

Rod

AdventurePoser

Rod,

After CA 49, CA 89 is a very nice road-you can take it all the way to Shasta, jump on I5 for a few miles, and then take 95 northeast up towards WA. There are many pretty Co roads in this area that make for fast, direct, yet off-the-beaten path riding.

Cheers,

Steve in So Cal

OK.

My suggestion to get a true vision of the Sierras would be to take Sherman Pass. Eastern terminus is US395 an "Nine Mile Canyon Road." Western terminus is along the Kern River road north of Hwy 178. Road is labelled "Sherman Pass Road".

I would recommend taking from West to East, then US395 up to either Sonora (HWY 108) or Ebbetts (Hwy 4) pass. Pick one to come back west until SR49. Take SR49 up to Phil's.

Another highly recommended stretch of highway is SR49 north out of Grass Valley to US89.

Enjoy!

Another highly recommended stretch of highway is SR49 north out of Grass Valley to US89.

Enjoy!

Did this just yesterday....in fact I left my place which is just up the road from Phil and Jamie's and took 49 to 80, 80 east for a few exits and then Placer Hills Road to Dog Run lane (?) to 49 at Grass Valley (skips the traffic of the Auburn to GV leg of 49) and had lunch in Sierra City at the Mtn. Creek Restaurant (sit outside by the creek)....

I had forgotten how great of a ride it is....you could head for Lassen from there and then make your way to 395 or 97 if you had the time...Crater Lake would be another "must see" in my book if you haven't been there before....395 from John Day to WA is also a great stretch of road.

Enjoy!!

Rt. 49 North of Grass Valley along the Yuba River to Rt. 89 is one of the best roads you can ride and is one of my favorites. Simply beautiful.

If you should by chance take Sherman Pass Rd. be careful. I have heard from several people the road is pretty beaten up. I have not been on it for 3 years but I keep hearing this nonetheless. FWIW Sherman Pass Rd. is a beautiful ride and the elevation of the pass is 9400'. From the top you see the south side of Mt. Whitney.

If you should by chance take Sherman Pass Rd. be careful. I have heard from several people the road is pretty beaten up. I have not been on it for 3 years but I keep hearing this nonetheless.

Yup, just up there Saturday, roads are kinda beat up, still a nice ride.

Just don't think you're gonna make up any time up there!

Better off takin' 178 outta Bakersfield thru Isabella and on out Walker Pass to 395. :wave:

Ooh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Casa de Challinor is available for a stopover in Diamond Springs, CA.

LINKY

We can talk and get you want you want . . . no problemo!!!!!!

PM sent, I think. Let me know if I didn't succeed.

Rod

Archived