IGNORED

eye protection

dmixon

Looking for a good pair of riding sun glasses or goggles, In the warmer months I wear a half helmet with sun glasses, even with the windshield on my 1100rt I still get a lot of dirt and small flying bugs etc. in my eyes. any recommendations?

Got an optometrist? Seriously, talk to one, get your eyes examined while you are there. He should be able to fix you up with something worth having, and if you have insurance, they may pay for part of it! My optometrist has been wally world since my "old" one retired. :grin:

Yeeha! Stephen

I use Shooting Glasses

I use the dark gray for daytime use and carry some amber ones for nights and evenings. And other low light conditions like overcast or rain.

The Silencio Wrapps are shatter resistant, have adjustable ear pieces and fexible nose pieces. They are semi wrap around and have a small foam strip across the top to seal against your forehead.

One thing I really like about these... most shooting glasses come to a point at the wrap around point near the corner of your eyes. Those tend to rub against the liner of my helmet and jar the glasses loose. The Silencio Wrapps are flatter towards the corner and don't rub against any of my helmets.

Me wearing them as Sun Glasses...

3939.jpg

Silencio Online Prices

3939.jpg.d2b60c9c43fa569981fae4a2e4a024e2.jpg

Looking for a good pair of riding sun glasses or goggles, In the warmer months I wear a half helmet with sun glasses, even with the windshield on my 1100rt I still get a lot of dirt and small flying bugs etc. in my eyes. any recommendations?

Dmixon, I too wear a police helmet (half helmet) in the warmer summer months.. As you mentioned sun glasses allow too much air & debris behind them.. I do wear a convertible Nolan in the cooler weather & when I know it is going to rain though..

I wear goggles most of the time (unless just a short trip at lower speeds, then wear sun glasses).. Using goggles keeps the air from drying my eyes out & pretty well seals the dirt & pollen out..

I ride fast & a good tight proper fitting set of goggles will work well at well over 100mph & as a second function the goggles elastic strap will keep your ear plugs in at well over 125mph..

As to goggle recommendations?-- I sure can’t give you a brand but can say that it makes a big difference if you wear glasses or not while riding.. I Don’t wear glasses to ride so about any goggles will work for me.. I must have 10 pairs of goggles due to trying different styles & shapes..

About all you can do is stop at a few motorcycle places & try on different goggles to find what fits your face profile correctly.. I have a problem with goggle tightness on my nose so am always looking for something that fits me correctly & seals well..

One thing that I can say from experience is once you find that perfect pair of goggles go back & buy another pair or two.. Also if possible buy a few extra lens’es that fit that favorite pair of goggles.. I have used goggles for a lot of years & have found that trying to find replacement lens’es or another exact pair is next to impossible as time passes as the goggle companies seem to change designs & lens shapes as time goes by..

If you ride in damp or cool weather make sure the goggles you are looking at have good breathing & breather holes (or they will fog up easily).. Get a second pair with clear lens’es for night & early morning riding.. Always carry a replacement set of lens’es as you never know when you will scratch or damage a lens..

Try new goggles on then walk outside to see how they work in the sun.. Lots of the cheaper goggles seem to have a distortion due to the plastic shaping so look at all areas of the lens for distortion (distortion will drive you crazy on a long trip).. Also make sure your eye lashes don’t hit the lens’es as that is a real pain to ride with..

When you find the perfect set make sure to get a nice soft bag to keep them in so they don’t get scratched when not in use..

Most goggles have plastic lens’es so are real easy to scratch while cleaning so keep that in mind..

I also carry a good set of wrap around clear lens riding glasses (not goggles) for use in extreme rain & cool rain as regular goggles will fog up in heavy rain & some cool rain conditions..

Twisty

Wiley and Panoptix both make sunglasses with surround material that blocks wind and debris from your eyes.

Reports that a lot of soldiers use Wiley's while overseas for the desert operations.

I have an older pair of Wiley's and they are effective,think they are the SG-1 model.

Might try your local bike shops including H-D,Wiley seems popular with that group.

JR356

Bradley_Gillie

+1 on the WileyX glasses. I have the "Jake" version with light adjusting lenses. I wish the lenses got a little darker, but I really like them a lot.

Archived