IGNORED

Alpine, AZ Questions

Limecreek

How late in the year can you visit the Alpine area and run 191 without the concern for snow, ice, and large migrating animals? When do the Aspens turn?

And, where is the best place to stay and the best places to eat?

Thanks much!

If Howard doesn't see this, be sure to PM or email him. He took me through that area in mid-October and it was fine. We stayed/ate at a wonderful little place, but I don't remember the name.

Greg; normally you can run it into December but there is always a chance of a December snow even though remote. Most snow comes in Jan-March. I've had a little snow hit in early April but didn't stick. If you're coming from the south, have breakfast at PJ's in Crawford which is the last town/facilities before the 191 remote twisties. It's on the southern end of Crawford, right on the highway. Someone else will have to chime in on motels, I've always done a round trip.

John LT means Clifton and not Crawford. Pj's is a good place. I actually think 180 on the NM side is a better road for most of the ride. And don't for get 78 which is one of the best roads nobody knows about. Howard and I ride this one all the time

Drop me a line if you need anything else amigo

Thanks all.

McKinley and I may be heading in that direction in October, instead of F-L or BRR. I'd really like to see all the folks at the BRR, but the idea of 18 hours of slab is killing it for me and I'm not too keen about camping these days--Falling Leaf, so Alpine may be just the thing.

John LT means Clifton and not Crawford. Pj's is a good place. I actually think 180 on the NM side is a better road for most of the ride. And don't for get 78 which is one of the best roads nobody knows about. Howard and I ride this one all the time

Drop me a line if you need anything else amigo

I'd agree with Tom on 180, it is a great road. And...since you're heading to 180, don't forget NM 152 into Silver City. :thumbsup:

Thanks Ed, it is Clifton not Crawford. I'm just getting too old. PJ's is the only place I've seen that sells coffee by the hour!! Check it out,

john

I was thinking of trying to get a group together for the first weekend in October (the weekend after Torrey) until I saw that you planned a Texas ride for two week later. Tom and I have made that a day-ride a couple of times, starting and dawn and returning after sunset, and have had a great time. The 191N-180S-78W loop is pretty sweet, but as Tom said, we've been enjoying 180 a little more. It's all good, though, and Alpine would be a good place to meet up. Get to Alpine one day, do the complete loop the next, home the next. When are you thinking you'd like to ride there? If we can't do it in Fall, maybe we could do a Spring ride.

As another option, we could check out lodging in Silver City, NM. It's close enough to 191 and Alpine that the loop is still very doable (300 miles for the loop to/from Silver City). Silver City would be 120 miles (and a couple of hours) less than riding from Texas to Alpine. Looks like plenty of lodging.

750 miles from Austin to Silver City, the scenic way. 730 the quicker way.

Although you probably can ride 191 late in the year, it gets VERY cold up at 9,000 feet elevation, and there is more chance of icy roads. I don't think I'd ride it any later than November. When Tom and I rode there this past Memorial Day Weekend, we delayed it a day, as they were getting rain and snow. We're talking that last weekend in May.

When are you thinking you'd like to ride there?

Howard, I have several weekends open--the last weekend of September and the first 2 weekends of October are wide open. Your thoughts of the first weekend in October would work for me.

Ride out on Friday--play on Saturday and haul ass home on Sunday.

Let's get this thing up and running. :grin:

I'm in if the dates work out for me......

Larry--what will work for you? I definitely have some flexibility around dates.

I'm out the month of October.......y'all do what works for ya.

Weddings.....Plans.....Hill Country.......

If ya can wait till November I can commit......

Whip

Well, turns out that now I have a wedding to go to also the first weekend of October. I could do the 10th, but wouldn't be able to get out of work until late, probably making it to Silver City (if that's where we stay) around 8 or 9, but it's doable. How do the weekends of October 24, and 31 looks for you guys (I think HIll Country is the 17th)? Daytime highs in Silver City are in the upper 70s to low 80s, and the normal highs in Alpine are in the 60s. Might be a little chilly high up on the mountain, but we would get to the highest elevations until around noon, so it should be pretty good. I think Halloween weekend is about the latest before we start getting a little chancier for weather, and that might be a good one for us, but I'm open to trying in November if we can't do it earlier. What do you all think?

How do the weekends of October 24, and 31 looks for you guys

Steve is checking his calendar, but I am open either weekend. In fact I am in Phoenix 10/27-10/30, and could ride out the weekend before, take care of business; head to Alpine/Silver City on Friday, 10/31.

I was just reminded that I have a commitment on October 11, so that weekend is out, too. So, we're now looking at Oct. 31 to Nov. 2, or to Nov. 7 to 9. Since you're going to be out this way anyway, Greg, I'm thinking that Halloween might be the weekend. How does that work for you, Whip?

All I know is, the way Whip looks in that photo, no way I'll room with him on Halloween. I think he was in some slasher movie that I saw. Oooo, scary!!

So, we're now looking at Oct. 31 to Nov. 2, or to Nov. 7 to 9.

I can poor water on my head and show up either weekend.......

Ridin out with Steve would be good too if Brother Lime is gonna already be there.

If Steve doesn't mind.

Whip

Either weekend would work for me also. It's looking like we'll have a convoy!

I'm sure Tom and Chris will wanna join us........

See what ya started brother Lime!!!!!!!

:clap:

Hmmm, an event in my back yard ? Sounds too easy to pass up ...

lodging ?? (never been there but looks interesting)

Looks good, but last I heard we were lookin to stay in Silver City?????

Patience, patience, information is coming very soon. Just hang in there for a couple more days. We're trying to work out a few details.

Trying to get something worked out for Halloween Weekend, Oct. 31 to Nov. 2, in either Silver City or Alpine. How many of you think you may be able to make it that weekend? I'm trying to work out a rate on a block of rooms, and need an approximate number.

Archived