IGNORED

The perfect GPS for motorcycle use

johnlt

If I were a king for a day, the perfect GPS for motorcycle use would be a 276C with better contrast (simple firmware change), accept 2 GB CF card and have a touch screen option. What else would you want?

If I were a king for a day, the perfect GPS for motorcycle use would be a 276C with better contrast (simple firmware change), accept 2 GB CF card and have a touch screen option.

With the improvement in the screen on the new 2720, that's almost what you have. No compactflash, but with all of City Navigator preloaded plus 750mb of extra space available for additional maps that should be plenty enough.

Ya, I don't mind the contrast at all.

I'd like the weather radar info.

The huge track log is a big feature for me. I don't want to loose that.

Realtime weather radar superimposed on map display. thumbsup.gif

pt-gpsmap376c03a.jpg

Whaddya mean, you've only got it in mile-square blocks? I want to know if it's raining within 300 feet!

Or else it looks like a game of Tetris gone wrong.

Matt, Which unit is that a screen shot from? I started a thread a while back about the 396, and this looks like the version I'd like to see. The 396c looks like the nuts, but do you know what type of memory card it uses?

Even the watered down version of weather info is still pricey @ $30 a month.

With the improvement in the screen on the new 2720, that's almost what you have. No compactflash, but with all of City Navigator preloaded plus 750mb of extra space available for additional maps that should be plenty enough.

The problem with the pre-loaded stuff is you have no desktop software. I personally would feel that my GPS was crippled if I couldn't do my route planning on the PC. I presume that with the pre-loaded models you could do this but you would have to incur the extra cost of buying the software (which means buying it twice really). That sucks in my book.

i'm a very new owner of a 2610. had it about a week and still learning. had it on the moto last sat/sun for rides in midday bright florida sunshine and had no problem reading the screen. i can't beleive i waited so long to get it. great in the car as well.

Unfortunately the 2720 additional 750 MB of memory space is restricted to .CSV files and not additional maps (like topo) which are .IMG files.

re Brian's response to my contrast comment, I was refering to the 276C contrast. The 2610 contrast is great but at a much lower resolution.

Unfortunately the 2720 additional 750 MB of memory space is restricted to .CSV files and not additional maps (like topo) which are .IMG files.

Don't know about that ... this is the same flavor of available memory that was available to the tune of 250MB on the 2620. The CSVs would inhabit the waypoint memory space.

John, you government guys are all the same -- strictly by the book!

Spoke to a tech in Kansas yesterday -- this is some of what he said.

Archived