IGNORED

K1200RS exhaust manifold

Ken Sallot

How common is it for these things to develop a crack in them? Any good options for a place to find a replacement exhaust?

Thanks!

The K engines do not have and exhaust manifold. Individual header pipes bolt to the head, as with most motorcycles.

I've never heard of pipes cracking on this engine.

Folks have replaced the entire system with units from Two Brothers and Staintune, mostly for vanity reasons of sound, and weight, and very modest performance gain.

Best wishes.

ShovelStrokeEd

Improper tightening and mounting can lead to cracks either where the header pipes mount to the head or at the collector welds. There is quite a bit of expansion on this system and I'm surprised that more of them don't crack. Its actually fairly rare until someone gets in there and messes with stuff.

Staintune makes a pretty good system as does Rhemus. I would stay away from anything by Two Brothers as their stuff seems of lower quality to me.

Thanks guys.

The bike was (is) stock, but has about 60k on it. It's pretty much a crack on the #1 pipe right at the part where it bolts onto the engine.

I don't have the time to pull it all apart this week, but will get a better look over the weekend.

One thing that concerns me with aftermarket pipes would be the noise; I don't want an extremely loud set of pipes on this thing.

Take care.

ShovelStrokeEd

Neither of the pipes I recommended are very loud. A bit more than stock but pleasing, IMHO. The price, however, fairly bellows.

Check on eBay and over at i-BMW.com. You can usually find stock exhausts from people that have put on aftermarket pipes and want to get the stock one out of their garage.

RBertalotto

Ken,

Email me. Ihave a like new k1200rs full exhaust system hanging in the garage. i removed it from my 02 k1200rs with 3,000 miles on it. it was replaced with a two brothers exhaust. a couple weeks ago i totalled my k1200rs so i have no use for it. make me an offer. be aware, shipping will be expensive unless you live in new england and can pick it up.

rvb100 at comcast.net

Hey guys,

The manifold cracked at the flange, but I found one from Rhinewest on ebay.

Thanks for the offer, where abouts in New England are you? In 11 days I'm headed up to Stowe, VT for the STN eastern meet, then I'm going to toodle up to Acadia for a few days before slowly working my way home.

Take care,

Ken

Archived