IGNORED

New RT

jtb

Just picked up my new RT a couple of days ago. I have a couple of questions for those of you who have had yours longer. What kind of tire pressure are you guys running, I have the Dunlop D220 tires.

Second question, I read that the bikes are using oil. are any of you having this problem? If so maybe I need to carry a quart with me.

For now that is all I can think of, I'm sure I will have more. So far the bike is great! clap.gif

I don't have one, but I'll take a stab at helping you out.

On those tires, I'd normally run 37 front and 39 rear. A tad more if loaded or two-up (but maybe just 1-2 lbs more). Be careful about those tires--their wear rate is completely unpredictable. One day you'll think you've got a lot left and the next day you'll be down to the guts of the tire. Go with something else once they wear out.

On the oil, park it on the side stand when you stop. After 10-15 mins, see if you can see oil anywhere in the site glass. If you can, don't worry about it.

...I read that the bikes are using oil. are any of you having this problem? If so maybe I need to carry a quart with me.

I don't think you need to go as far as carrying a quart around with you. The main problem is that the oil level is tricky to read. First, the engine must be fully warmed up--like after riding it for +/- an hour. Then the bike needs to be on the centerstand on a level spot. Then you need to wait for 5 minutes for the oil to drain back into the sump. Compounding this is that the groovy new electronic oil level sensor is for all practical purposes useless, giving a false warning <!> when everything is fine, making a new owner fret needlessly.

I was concerned for all of the above reasons 2400 miles after my initial 600 mile oil change, so I added 8 fluid ounces of oil (1/4 quart). No problems, but I realized after getting several readings in the sight glass that I was probably only down an ounce or so, if that. The best advice I've seen here is that you are fine if the level in the sight glass when warm is somewhere between the top and the bottom. Just check it regularly and don't fret!

Co

jtb, the bikes do "use oil", but it's not a defect... it's just normal until everything gets polished - aka "broken in". The dealership I purchased my bike from gave me a quart as I left with my new bike, with a caution to "watch the level". I'm about to go for my 12K major service and it has finally stopped using oil smile.gif

WyreNut

My technique for checking oil which works 99% of the time:

when I return from a ride and shut off the engine, I lean the bike to the right for a bit, then put it on the side stand and get off the bike. After I take off my helmet & jacket, I put the bike on the center stand and check the oil. This has worked for 90K miles on my oilhead.

The bikes do use oil. In my experience, the oil consumption is due to vaporization of mineral oil. If and when you switch to synthetic, the loss will drop to 1 qt. or less per 6,000 miles.

My dealer told me to run 42 psi in the rear and 40 in the front. A little more if you have two up with gear. They said they didn't feel the manual was enough. That's what they said, anyway.

Archived