IGNORED

R1200GS Trouble with downshifts after only 9K miles?

StretchMark

StretchMark

Uh oh! After only 9k miles on the GS, I'm starting to have a little difficulty with downshifting. It sounds similar to what folks describe when they need a spline lube. There just seems to be some resistance to downshifting. I have to hit the gear shift a couple of times to get it to downshift.

Most often going from 5th to 5th or 4th to 3rd. Not all the time, but it does seem to be happening more frequently. The way it is riding right now, I will not be taking it to Barber in September. You can't afford to blow shifts on that track.

Is it possible to need a spline lube with this few miles? Could it be a sign of something else starting to go wrong with the transmission? And Baker...no I do not believe it is a "technique issue", but I won't rule it out entirely smirk.gif

Is it possible to need a spline lube with this few miles? Could it be a sign of something else starting to go wrong with the transmission? And Baker...no I do not believe it is a "technique issue", but I won't rule it out entirely smirk.gif

smirk.gif

Have you looked carefully at the linkage?

steve.foote

Mark,

I'd start out by checking out the linkage. Make sure nothing is binding or loose. Second, I'd change the trans oil to see if you have any metal floating around in there.

I think it would be quite a stretch (no pun intended wink.gif) to have splines giving you trouble this early.

StretchMark

Linkage looks OK. I did have 1 small rock fall out while I was wiggling everything around. Be interesting to see if that was the problem.

While it's not impossible that you've blown it up this early, I'd take a good look at the linkage. That rock, sure. Make sure it's all tight. Amazing how little slop can make things go south.

Also technique...I find the GS trans smooth as butter ~75% of the time. And the rest of the time it reminds me it's a BMW.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a brief follow up (wow has it been almost a month since I've ridden frown.gif).

The linkage was a little loose. I took a brief test ride yesterday and downshifts were once again smooth. I'm not sure if the little rock in there was causing problems or not.

Thanks for the tips.

And the rest of the time it reminds me it's a BMW.

Especially that first to second shift. dopeslap.gif

Hmmm. I found that to be true as well, especially on cold mornings.

(Probably not a problem in Florida.) tongue.gif

I had experienced a similar stiffness with the shifting from 5th to 4 or even from 5th to 3rd.

What I did is change from tranny oil to 75 -140 bmw syn and really looked at where my foot should be when shifting. Also look at your boots and how they relate to the shifter. Since I have followed my own advise the difference is noticable if not 100%.

What oil are you using ?

I did have 1 small rock fall out while I was wiggling everything around.

so your new GS passed a stone that early in it's life. assuming the pain was unbearable. confused.gif

Archived