IGNORED

Chrome exhaust blueing R1200RT

RodB

The chrome exhaust on my bike is becoming blue. I know this is normal from the heat. Are there any products that can clean/remove this blueing or is it futile to attempt to maintain a showroom look? The blueing actually does have a certain look that is not that undesireable on this bike.

Rod

I rode from the showroom to home, about 10km on the new R1200RT this week and noticed the colour change. THATS THE WAY IT GOES.

Maybe we will pass through the full spectrum and come bak to the original showroom colour.

Congratulations on the new bike.

cool.gif

I think you have to live with it. My new Stainless header did the same thing, though different shades.

To avoid the bluing I think you need a double walled pipe, and/or jet coated inside and out. I'm kinda of surprised BMW didn't make their chrome headers double walled. What's the point in paying extra for chrome if it just turns blue/yellow.

The pipes on my '96 RT that I had for 9 years were an acceptable shade of brownish blue. The pipes on my '05 RT that I've had 5 weeks are predominantly a yucky brown. No road debris (to my knowledge) has gotten on the pipes in ~700 miles.

On an inconspicuous place, I tried some FLITZ metal polish; the results were disappointing. I was wondering if any of the products like TARNEX would help.

Anyone tried it?

I did not like the brown and discolored look on the headers and pipes of my new 05 RT which came about merely from heat and no road debris, so I went to a couple of local motorcycle shops in the area. They both carried a product from Germany called "Simichrome Polish" which is advertised as a soft paste for most any metal. It removed the brown look, but I am sure it was only a temporary fix and will soon return. I used it mainly for the cleaning rag marks the shop put on the bike when it was delivered which, when heated, left very non-uniform patterns on the headers.

I expect the only long term solution is the aftermarket coating process described in the thread.

Archived