IGNORED

Interest in a Y-pipe for the R12GS?

rdcyclist

A friend of mine is an ace fabricator who does all of the prototyping for a local bike hop up shop. He rides a 1150GS and during the MotoGP last weekend we got to talking about building a Y-pipe for the 12GS. The idea would be to use the stock headpipes up to the junction for the Cat. Cut the Cat off and use pipe unions to join our Y-pipe to the headpipes.

The Y-pipe would be set up to mate up with the stock muffler or the slip-on of your choice. We could even make a pipe to run a low exhaust if you wanted to run a full size left bag.

Naturally this would cost much less than the Remus or Akra full systems and avoid the problems with the location of the O2 sensor those systems have with engine guards. Any interest here?

The big woo-woo about taking off the cat would be the 5 to 8 horsies it frees up. Probably 5 pounds. Probably a coupla miles per gallon. All of that with the stock muffler. That's about it.

Gadget Magnet

Will the Y pipe replace the stock headers or does it mean cutting off the cat and connecting to the stock headers?

The CAT really doesn't weigh that much. I just installed a Remus full system on my 12ST. The Remus header/cat-replacement weighed about the same as the stock header/cat. The cat is made with thin metal, and the internals really don't weight much.

I also very much doubt I gained 5hp. My butt-dyno sees no change with this system. So, unless you are building a VERY well tuned Header&Y pipe, please don’t fool you self in to thinking there is a lot of HP gain from removing the CAT.

For those that want to know why? Not for weight, or HP. I like the sound, which isn't much louder than stock(I leave the baffle in), but deeper. I replaced the full system because my bike came with chrome, and I hate chrome. The stainless pipe and carbon can look a lot better to me. I did save weight with the carbon can, but so would passing on one helping of pasta smile.gif. And, I doubt I'm doing all that much more polluting.

For those that want to know why? Not for weight, or HP. I like the sound, which isn't much louder than stock(I leave the baffle in), but deeper. I replaced the full system because my bike came with chrome, and I hate chrome. The stainless pipe and carbon can look a lot better to me. I did save weight with the carbon can, but so would passing on one helping of pasta smile.gif. And, I doubt I'm doing all that much more polluting.

With the pasta or the new pipe? tongue.gif

The big woo-woo about taking off the cat would be the 5 to 8 horsies it frees up. Probably 5 pounds. Probably a coupla miles per gallon. All of that with the stock muffler. That's about it.

That'd be nice, but I'll believe the first thought when I see a dyno printout. thumbsup.gif

That'd be nice, but I'll believe the first thought when I see a dyno printout. thumbsup.gif

Same here. I can't believe the cat would be that restrictive.

Archived