IGNORED

4th Annual West Michigan Tech Daze September 6th

Nevets

OK, Here we go again.

Time to plan the 2008 (4th Annual) West MI Tech Daze.

Please respond here if you are interested.

Get an PDF info sheet (~700k) with all the information here http://home.comcast.net/~steven-petersen/2008.pdf .

==============================================

When: Saturday September 6th, 2008. You’re welcome to come any time from sun-up to whenever on Saturday. If you want to camp in the back yard Friday the 5th or Saturday night, that’s great! Plenty of room on a nice flat space to set up a tent, a nice place for a campfire and yes, indoor plumbing! If it rains, I promise to let you in…

Where: 6826 Woodbrook Drive SE, Grand Rapids, MI. 49546. It’s a gray house on the south side of street, with a very attractive 2003 RT-P somewhere nearby. Go ahead and pull into the driveway, as there should be room.

If you need turn-by-turn directions, and can’t figure it out from the maps, contact me, and I’ll be happy to create specific instructions for you.

Contact: Steve Petersen (Event Host), “Nevets” on the BMWSportTouring forum web site

Food: Doughnuts, bagels, coffee and tea will be provided in the morning. Food and drinks will be served for lunch (probably something like burgers and hotdogs). Bottled water and pop available all day. If you’d like, I’ll have some homebrew beer and cider around. You HAVE to be done working on your bike to indulge in the beer/cider, and please use moderation (strong beer!). You are very welcome to it, but I don’t want to contribute to your bike getting screwed-up or you ending up in a ditch, tree or rear seat of police car!

Other Stuff:

• If you have not been to a Tech Daze events before, please read the first post on the RIDING >> Ride/Event Planning forum describing Tech Daze activities. Here’s a link to it: http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=27129#Post27129

• You are welcome to use any of my tools, (providing I get them all back!!!):

- Air compressor, hose w/ tire chuck, gauge, die grinder & blow-off tool.

- Tools for removing/replacing tupperware

- A primitive, functional tube manometer for TBS

- Feeler gauges for valve adjusts

- Large (beam) and small (clicker) torque wrenches

- Drills, bits, Dremmel, Taps & die set

- Sockets, torx, hex & open end wrenches

- Screw drivers, pliers, flashlights

- Paper towels and rags

- Rugs & cardboard to sit on while wrenching

- Battery charger, fuses & Digital volt meter (DVM)

- Carb cleaner, silicone grease, contact cleaner, etc.

- Big hammer and duct tape!!!

• I’ll set up a computer for you to use during the event, to access the Internet.

• I’ve got containers, and will dispose of any brake fluid, oil, etc.

• The nearest BMW bike dealer is:

BMW Motorcycles of Grand Rapids

5995 South Division, Grand Rapids, MI 49548

http://www.bmwmcgr.com/

• If the weather goes to crap (in Michigan?), I have room for at least two to four bikes at a time (depending how friendly you are) in the garage. I’m guessing the show will go on under almost any weather.

• OK, what else did I forget??? Let me know!

Thanks for setting this up (again). I have to be with the Army for that weekend, and will not be able to participate. Hopefully Susan (RT with the Green Mirrors), my charming spouse will be able to.

Thanks for setting this up (again). I have to be with the Army for that weekend, and will not be able to participate. Hopefully Susan (RT with the Green Mirrors), my charming spouse will be able to.

Hope Susan can make it. Good luck with the Army thing (thanks for making this possible!).

Steve, it sounds like a good time..

Unless my plans change I will be in Wisconsin that weekend for the Dells Rally.. If for some reason that falls through I will definitely be at your event..

Twisty

In, with tools.

Cool, looking forward to seein' ya again.

There is also a link to the event through the GR BMW dealer web site here: here :http://www.bmwmcgr.com/?page=events

Per the BMW MC of GR events listing, it looks like there is another track daze at Grattan the day following the TechDaze:

09.07.2008 | Southeast BMW Track Day

Sunday BMW motorcycles of Southeast Mickigan will be putting on a track day with Sport Bike Track Time at Grattan Raceway. $150 gets you in either Novice or Advanced class and includes lunch. Call Audrey at 734-981-1479.

We got a hit off the GR BMW MC web site:

=========================================

Hi Steven,

I just came across your Tech Day coming up on BMW of GR's website and was interested in coming out to learn. I have a K1200LT and was wondering if anyone else would be there with the know how on that bike to help me further learn to work on it. I'm looking to learn how to do more of the fluids, except the brake system, like the Clutch and would like to actually change a tire on it since a new rear is in the cards soon. I would hold off having BMWGR do it if I could learn to do it myself. I need to learn how to do a fuel filter too which doesn't look too hard, just haven't tackled that yet.

I live down south of Jackson so I'm not far away.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks, Phil DeFant

=========================================

So what, do we have any K1200LT brains who are going to come?

Is anyone bringing tire change gear?

I told Phil I'd let him know....

Joe Frickin' Friday
So what, do we have any K1200LT brains who are going to come?

Is anyone bringing tire change gear?

I'm ready for new tires, but given the state of my gearbox, it's likely I won't get much riding done in the next few weeks. I'll probably end up changing tires at the Tech Daze, which means I can bring the Mojostand.

....the state of my gearbox, it's likely I won't get much riding done in the next few weeks.

Sorry to hear of your trans problems. At least you have the guts/brains to get into it to fix it...

I'm wondering if there is anything special to geting the wheels off/on the LT?

Steve, Thanks for doing another Tech Daze! I will most likely be comming down from Cadillac and I will bring the "SPLINE LUBE FOR PROCTOLOGISTS" tool in case anyone wants to do this procedure...BTW it is very easy to do.

I'm wondering if there is anything special to getting the wheels off/on the LT?

I had an LT, and changed the tires a couple of times. The rear wheel is no problem. If you want to take the front wheel off you have to use a floor jack and a piece of 2X4 or something similar under the engine. Otherwise, the bike will fall forward off the center stand on the engine.

Steve,

I had a great time last year and plan on coming back this year. I'm about due for a 36k service. While I'm comfortable with changing the fluids and the valve adjustment; I'd like some guidance on replacing the fuel filter (it’s an 1100R), changing the alternator belt, and replacing the throttle cables(and subsequent TBS).

Thanks,

Kevin

Thanks for all you do to get these together Steve. And I love your brew. However, September 6 is the MotoGP in Indy and I just can't miss such a historic event. Ride safe.

Bob

Thanks for all you do to get these together Steve. And I love your brew. However, September 6 is the MotoGP in Indy and I just can't miss such a historic event. Ride safe.

Bob

Understood. Have fun and take lots of pictures...

A buddy and I will be making the trip over from Brighton - We are both pretty new to the "DIY". Hope to pick up some tips and bouns on the snacks! See you all around 10:30ish as long as the weather cooperates.

95 R1100R

97 1100GS

Steve, I see your Tec Daze is top billing on the BMWGR (Grand Rapids) event calendar.. Congrats!

Twisty

Yep, but only one hit I can tell for sure. Maybe somebody will show up unannounced, which is fine by me.

I have a request to check if we'll have tire change equipment present or not, by Phil from the hit from the BMW MC of GR web site...

I have the mojo bar, but unfortunately not anything else for the task except tire mount lubricant. Mitch - you're bringing the mojostand? Do I ned to arrange a suitable surface for it's use (like a badass workbench or something)? Would a Black and Decker workmate be sturdy enough?

Joe Frickin' Friday
I have a request to check if we'll have tire change equipment present or not, by Phil from the hit from the BMW MC of GR web site...

I have the mojo bar, but unfortunately not anything else for the task except tire mount lubricant. Mitch - you're bringing the mojostand? Do I ned to arrange a suitable surface for it's use (like a badass workbench or something)? Would a Black and Decker workmate be sturdy enough?

Since someone else is counting on it, yes, I'll make sure to bring it.

As far as what to put it on...at minimum, we'll need a 4'x4' sheet of 3/4" plywood (1/2" plywood will probably be OK). I'll bring the carriage bolts to mount it. Probably best to have the whole rig on the floor, rather than up on stilts.

Question: do you have a drill and a 3/8" bit so we can drill some mounting holes in the plywood? If not, I can bring that too. Let me know.

OTOH, if you've got a big sturdy workbench with plenty of space to twirl a Mojolever most of the way around a centerpost, that'd be great too, as long as we can get some big C-clamps under the edge of the tabletop. See page 3 for photo of clamping setup.

I have an HF tire changer with the Mojo Blocks installed, and the 4'X4' piece of plywood to mount it. My wife and I are heading for a Noon MSU football game that morning. We could leave a little early, and drop them off if you need them. I also have a wood contraption we made to set the wheels on while breaking the bead so the brake rotors don't get damaged.

Thanks

As far as what to put it on...at minimum, we'll need a 4'x4' sheet of 3/4" plywood (1/2" plywood will probably be OK). I'll bring the carriage bolts to mount it. Probably best to have the whole rig on the floor, rather than up on stilts.
I'll have the plywood for use on the floor

Question: do you have a drill and a 3/8" bit so we can drill some mounting holes in the plywood? If not, I can bring that too. Let me know.
Got it covered.

OTOH, if you've got a big sturdy workbench with plenty of space to twirl a Mojolever most of the way around a centerpost, that'd be great too, as long as we can get some big C-clamps under the edge of the tabletop.
I've got a workbench, but it's downstairs and not in a very convenient location for the Tech Daze.

Why are there green arrows shooting out of your eyes on page 3? :eek:

I have an HF tire changer with the Mojo Blocks installed, and the 4'X4' piece of plywood to mount it. My wife and I are heading for a Noon MSU football game that morning. We could leave a little early, and drop them off if you need them. I also have a wood contraption we made to set the wheels on while breaking the bead so the brake rotors don't get damaged.

Thanks for the offer Burt, but I think we got it covered.

Joe Frickin' Friday

Thanks for the offer Burt, but I think we got it covered.

As long as nobody shows up with wire-spoked rims; the Mojostand won't do that.

Anyone? Do we need the HF stand instead?

The only person I know that has asked about tire changing is Phil (through the GR BMW MC site) who has a K1200LT, which I assume wouldn't be caught dead with spoke wheels...

I'm curious about the 4 foot square plywood...

Is the size basically so you can stand on it to keep it from moving?

Joe Frickin' Friday
I'm curious about the 4 foot square plywood...

Is the size basically so you can stand on it to keep it from moving?

Ayup. Well, that and provide some bracing while we break beads loose.

Forgot the wedding, my nephew is getting married that afternoon. I may try to slip down early with my my wife for a greeting and a cup of coffee. I'll wait and see how tight the schedual is. Still hope to see you then.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Found out we should have one more newby at the Tech Daze.a neighbor who just bought a 2004 Rockster.

:thumbsup:

Anyone have a Marc Parnes balancer? I can bring my own homemade balancer if necessary, but it's big/clunky, a PITA to pack; I'll bring it if there's no other option, but it would be easier if someone else had a balancer on site.

Found out we should have one more newby at the Tech Daze.a neighbor who just bought a 2004 Rockster.

:thumbsup:

Anyone have a Marc Parnes balancer? I can bring my own homemade balancer if necessary, but it's big/clunky, a PITA to pack; I'll bring it if there's no other option, but it would be easier if someone else had a balancer on site.

If nobody answers with a Marc Parnes balancer, what do you have? Is there anything I can fabricate to minimize what you'd bring? I'd order a Parnes balancer, but I doubt I'd get it here in time. Looks like we'd have a K1200LT, a 2004 Rockster and your RT.

I have a M.P. balancer. I'll bring it.

I don't have any work to do on my bike, I just heard there were donuts...and home brew for later! :D

I'll be riding down with my K1200RS buddy and looking forward to seeing some old friends and making some new ones. :)

The weather looks good. We're planning on being there around 10:00.

Anyone else riding down from north of the 45th parallel?

BFG,

I will be comming down from Cadillac. We can meet at M 115 and US 131 at the Gas station just south of the freeway. What time do you think you would be at the station? Hope you do not mind riding with another marque though...I sold my RT.

...and home brew for later! :D....

This year it's cider (plenty of it). Haven't been doing much beer brewing, although I have a few old expresso stouts around here somewhere.

Current weather forecast from NOAA for Saturday is: Mostly Sunny Hi 76°F :thumbsup:

We'll probably be blowing through Cadillac around 8:30. We'll stop at the "Quik-Save" and look for you.

No worries about riding with another marque. I'm thinking horsepower! :)

OK, RT is up and running. :clap:

See you guys there tomorrow morning.

YAHOO!

I'll bet you're in a good mood now.

See ya, and thanks for your help over the years in making this an event that, well, I'll probably do again next year. :thumbsup:

Sorry about the weather, it appears it wil only be PARTLY sunny and only 73F. Oh well, we'll just have to suffer through it.:dopeslap:

Joe Frickin' Friday
OK, so the wedding won and I missed the Tech Day, how about letting us unfortunates know how it went.

I've started a ride tale here; hopefully people will add to it. :thumbsup:

OK, so the wedding won and I missed the Tech Day, how about letting us unfortunates know how it went.

I've started a ride tale here; hopefully people will add to it. :thumbsup:

Good idea to start a seperate posting with the "results" of the event. I'll describe a few things there....

Just wanted to say "Thanks" for the tech daze - It was great to meet the guys and see what can be accomplished without the dealership.

I look forward to next year.

• 10 months later...

New RT owner here in West Michigan. Any plans for a 2009 Tech Daze? I have a large shop in Holland I'd be willing to host it in. I can make room for plenty of bikes!

Yes! ...but likely not until end of August time-frame.

I'll contact you about it.

Everybody else... Expect to see a post fairly soon about the 2009 one around here.

Archived