IGNORED

Whose scraped their cases on the 12RT

SiamJim

OK, who wants to admit they've scraped thier cases? They're just to damn wide and seem to find things to bump into. dopeslap.gif Am I just clumsy or has anyone else had this problem?

Scraped the left one a bit (not noticeable at all now) when I laid it down one afternoon after I forgot to put the side stand out before getting off.

CMWingfield

Guilty....the first time I fell into a storm drain in Amarillo, and the second time I watched the bike fall off the center stand onto a big rock. Funny, but both times the first thing that came to mind was, "wow, I never get to see the catalytic converter like this"! I ain't right......

Mike cool.gif

Clumsy? Not me. I just dropped it.

That magnesium head is like clay against the 7-Elevent asphalt parking lot: the ding is deep. But the side case is not bad. Just a few hand wipes and the scatch is almost invisible.

dopeslap.gif

> I forgot to put the side stand out before getting off

hehe, I did that ..... in the MSF class. Now I always look to make sure.

I always thought BMW was sensible with the design of their system cases, finished like a good ol' Samsonite or American Tourister hardshell briefcase. Remember the commercial with the gorilla trying to beat the snot out of a suitcase?

Anyway, when the 12RT came on the scene with it's beautifully painted cases, I thought, whass up? Now one more thing to worry about getting scratched.

My vote goes to the unpainted (read: practical) cases of yore.

I haven't yet, but this could be because I took them off at the dealer when I bought the bike, and have yet to put them back on. I think the bike looks a lot better without them, and it looked to me like they would be pretty vulnerable sticking out like that. I'm glad to have them for future trips and such, but don't plan to put them back on until I have to carry something that I couldn't otherwise.

Jay

I went a sourced a set of ST bags, in black (un-painted) for that very reason.. right now, you have to buy the whole bag, but at some point, I'd imagine they will offer replacement lids as in the past.. I went with the un-painted bags mainly because 2-up we use Helen2Wheels bags on top of the side cases..

Craig

russell_bynum
Does it count if you've scraped a side case while cornering?

cool.gif

Only if you have "city" lids. grin.gif

LOL!!

Scraped the left one a bit (not noticeable at all now) when I laid it down one afternoon after I forgot to put the side stand out before getting off.

fear of doing this is the reason I always kill the engine by putting down the side stand while in gear.

I usually only use one if I don't need both. If you are likely to forget to put the stand out, then put it on the right. Otherwise, put on whichever side you want: you have a 50:50 chance of NOT sratching it when you drop the bike grin.gif.

Also, the bike fits through narrower spaces with just one case. No problems with balancing.

Co

Lone_RT_rider
Does it count if you've scraped a side case while cornering?

cool.gif

Only if you have "city" lids. grin.gif

LOL!!

And only after you have taken Riding smart! grin.gif

Shawn

pigtrotters

Hmmmm.... I've bought the protective pads for the side cases and the dealer has them in to fit... Just havent got down there yet!! confused.gif Guess I'd better pull my finger out and get them done huh. dopeslap.gif

I always thought BMW was sensible with the design of their system cases, finished like a good ol' Samsonite or American Tourister hardshell briefcase. Remember the commercial with the gorilla trying to beat the snot out of a suitcase?

Anyway, when the 12RT came on the scene with it's beautifully painted cases, I thought, whass up? Now one more thing to worry about getting scratched.

I'm with you Gary. Scrapes on the unpainted cased just look natural. I was really bummed when I got the first big scrape, now I've stopped caring.

Oh yea, the bags are also getting marked up from my boots cause I can't always get my leg over. Ah, so what.

The protectors are USELESS they only protect the bottom part of the cases NOT the top front which is where they will be damaged in most "dings" -- I left them with the dealer!! frown.gif

I haven't scraped either of my cases yet, however it's bound to happen sooner or later unless I take some preventative measures first.

It would probably look too tacky for my tastes, but it crossed my mind that I could find some adhesive-backed body side molding intended for car & truck applications and put it on, horizontally, in the center of the case lids to act as bumpers.

I probably won't do it, but it was just a thought.

Jim,

You can get a touch-up paint stick from your dealer to more or less fix the scratches. In the US, the touch up sticks ( package of two-one is a clear coat) cost $15.

As for me, I confess. I've scratched both side cases in completely stupid two-up tip overs from a dead stop. Fortunately, the cylinder head guards saved me from real problems. I think I've learned now - the bike is quite top heavy two-up - don't allow it to lean AT ALL while stopped for any reason.

As for the cases being too wide, I haven't had that problem. I haven't been in Chaing Mai in about fifteen years. Great place to live, though! I hope to see it again sometime! Do you actually have to split lanes to get through traffic there now? Or do you just have a narrow spot to park your bike?

Icon,

Thanks for the heads up on the touch up sticks.

The roads here in Chiang Mai, like much of Thailand, are quite good. However, people drive like idiots and when you are on a bike, irrespective of size, you get no respect on the road from cars and trucks. You have to ride very very defensively.

In terms of getting scraped, the big problem is the millions of small motorcycles. Many riders are young students under 16 or mothers riding four-up with her husband and two kids. What happens at a stop light is all the little bikes split lanes to get in front of the cars and there's a big crush of bikes around you. Riders are trying to squeeze past you to gain a few feet and can easily hit your cases.

Most of this crap is limited to the cities; once you get out in the countryside, the riding is great. Chiang Mai is a fantastic place to ride both on and off road. You just have to be careful of elephant turds, or worse yet, elephants in the road.

Please post a pic of the guards one you install them. My dealer didn't have any in stock yet, either.

I have the venture tape fitted, which does the top and front of the panniers, which cover the boot and stonechips....Here is a pic of the BMW protectors thumbsup.gif

535544-pannier.jpg

535544-pannier.jpg.e2916ad4626a6aa1af5d166311c853af.jpg

George is the venture tape a clear tape paint protection? If so can you buy them precut or do you cut it yourself. I tried some 3m clear tape but was unable to get it around the contours of the bag far enough to make it useful.

Archived