IGNORED

WY weather

ccii42104

Hi all, My K1200S buddy and i are doing a 5 day ride to Yellowstone in mid to late Sept. What is the weather like? We are undecided about KOA cabins or ground camping. It will be the first time for me on a bike to WY. I usually have the 5th wheel. Thanks.

Welcome on board

The weather will be Hot/Cold/Windy/Dry/Snowy/Wet that is for any given day.

Sorry for the joke, but September is a transition month. In this case summer to fall, and you just cannot tell. Throw in altitude and you have yet another major variable.

This is not to discourage the trip, but fact is, take clothing for every possibility and be ready to adapt quickly.

The K12 will be great... just be sure you have good tires. With that much power, if the road gets dicey you will really need to be soft with the throttle.

If the idea of Yellowstone is not overly fixed in your heads you might want to consider the gathering in Torrey... great scenery and a chance to meet this gang in person.

Cabin or Camp? If it were me, I would go for the cabin, and save camping for places where they are not available.

Good luck

Welcome on board

Sorry for the joke, but September is a transition month. In this case summer to fall, and you just cannot tell. Throw in altitude and you have yet another major variable.

This is not to discourage the trip, but fact is, take clothing for every possibility and be ready to adapt quickly.

The K12 will be great... just be sure you have good tires. With that much power, if the road gets dicey you will really need to be soft with the throttle.

If the idea of Yellowstone is not overly fixed in your heads you might want to consider the gathering in Torrey... great scenery and a chance to meet this gang in person.

Cabin or Camp? If it were me, I would go for the cabin, and save camping for places where they are not available.

Good luck

What hopz said, except that by late September Yellowstone/Teton is tending more towards chilly in the days, maybe 60 - 70 for a high, and frosty at night. Could still catch a hot day on your there or back though.

Fall color is spectacular, especially in the Jackson Hole (the Snake River Valley from the town of Jackson up to Yellowstone. Moose are in rut. You should be able to see many from the Jackson Lake Lodge in Teton.

Hunting season starts early up there, and you are likely to be in the middle of it. Check out the dates. Rooms will be very hard to come by during hunting season, so reserve ahead if you will be there then. This applies to general area as well, not just the park area.

Welcome on board

Good luck

Torrey UT? We could come by there!

Looks like the general information page for Torrey is down again. Here is the link anyway as it should be a temporary problem. However, Killer (Bob), who maintains the page, is heading to England and I don't know if he can fix it from there.

LINK To Torrey Info

The dates are 9/26 - 9/28. A lot of people will arrive the evening of 9/25.

We meet there twice a year at the end of May and end of September. There is also an eastern regional meet in the Smokies.

For Torrey, the Chuckwagon Store and Motel is ground central. It is fully booked. But you can get a room nearby at the Boulder View Inn or Capital Reef Inn and walk over. There is nearly always activity in the parking lot. Walk or ride up and introduce yourself.

Friday night there is usually a group dinner at the Chuckwagon, about $10. Otherwise it's on your own.

The riding and scenery in the area are truly spectacular. We can have bad weather there too. Last year's fall Torrey saw a hard freeze Saturday night - Sunday morning. But days are generally pleasant at that time of year.

Jan

Hi all, My K1200S buddy and i are doing a 5 day ride to Yellowstone in mid to late Sept. What is the weather like? We are undecided about KOA cabins or ground camping. It will be the first time for me on a bike to WY. I usually have the 5th wheel. Thanks.
Hi there. If I were you, try for mid September. Here in Gillette, we have our first snow here in late Sept. Up high over passes you most likely will see new snow. This year we have had a cool and wet summer so far. One thing for sure is the high country will have a lot of changing leaves and if your timing is right you might be able to hear the elk bugling. In the early mornings and evenings there are more wildlife close to and on the roads. Have a safe trip.

Mid Sept. is a great time to go to Yellowstone as the people crowds are way down and more animals are out (be alert). Campsites are fairly easy to come by. I had frost on the seat every morning, but the afternoon temps were in the eighties. Sunny all days. However, the day after I left the forecast was for rain and snow, highs about forty, lows in the twenties. Tent camping is my preferred mode of travelling. I kept the same site a couple of nights by Yellowstone Lake and moved the last night to the Madison River as thay was my route out. If the weather is so bad you must be in a cabin you probably don't want to be on the bike anyway. Several years ago our family took a trip there in Sept. but couldn't see some of the areas due to the roads being closed by snow! Have a super time!

Archived