IGNORED

R1200RT Tire Pressure

RTTomster

Folks,

I have searched the site but cannot locate the recommended tire pressure settings for my R1200RT. Can anyone help me out here?

The book states for 1 up 32F/36R, 1 up w/luggage 36F/42R, and 2 up w/luggage 36F/42R. I would recommend going with the tire pressure for your specific brand of tire which you can typically find on the tire manufacturer's website.

I can help you find it... Get off the bike remove the seat... read the sticker on the top side of the rear fender....

OBTW that big knob there is to adjust the pre-load on your rear shock.

Survived-til-now

I think we all know what the handbook says but if you read this site there a lot of people think that 32 front and 36 rear is way too low.

I find that at the recommended pressures the bike is what we call "lardy" - (kind of wallows and slow to respond). I run on 36 front and 40 rear - it makes a big difference to the response of the bike and helps the mpg as well.

Andy

The label on my bike (located on left sub frame rail under rear seat) specifies 36F/42R and makes no allowances for load (1-up, 2-up, etc....).

I maintain those pressures and have been very happy with performance and tire life.

I have been running 41F/44R for the last 15 years and 480,000 miles on various bikes with no problems, minor cupping and great handling.

I think we all know what the handbook says but if you read this site there a lot of people think that 32 front and 36 rear is way too low.

I find that at the recommended pressures the bike is what we call "lardy" - (kind of wallows and slow to respond). I run on 36 front and 40 rear - it makes a big difference to the response of the bike and helps the mpg as well.

Andy

And it helps tire wear, too. If you need every last bid of traction the tire can provide, you may not want to run too much over the book recommended pressures, but modern tires provide way more traction (on dry pavement) than most of us will ever use.

The tire pressures I stated came straight out of the book. On or about page 130 something.

Yep, my book too.

The difference is whereas on the R1100-RT, the pressures for the 3 different loads is also on the lable on the bike, this is not the case for the R1200-RT, which lists only the single set of pressures.

Also, the 36F/42R across all loads is recommended by the service manager at my dealer. A person that I have a tremendous amount of respect for.

It works well for me. YMMV :thumbsup:

I plan to check out the 36 lbs. on the front tire. I have 38F/42R right now so a minor reduction in pressure on the front will get me there. So far so good on the ME880's after 1600 miles.

My RT had the three categories of pressures under the seat. The manual lists to categories, one for single rider, one with driver with passenger or load. They are 32/36 and 36/42 respectively. They are in the text of the manual and on the back cover as well.

At 300 lbs I consider myself carrying a passenger at all times. :-) My first front tire ran at 36 all it's life and had a lot of cupping when replaced at only 5k. I've been running 40/42 since that replacement and the second set is doing fine at 7k. I switch from Z6s to PR2 so that may contribute as well, ymmv.

I have an R1200RT... the label on the bike, under the seat, has 3 different tire pressures.

Interesting... Mine's an '06. What year is yours?

FWIW, I agree with the recommendation of 36/42 under all loads. My RT feels loose at the solo pressures (32/36.5), and I only weight 174# and usually ride without the saddlebags.

Slight hijack - I was annoyed that the TPC only gives pressure in BAR which no-one uses in this country, is it the same elsewhere? I figure for the price of the option they could have added the few lines of code to convert to kPa etc.

Archived