IGNORED

helmet purchase time

celebrationrev

celebrationrev

I hope I'm not opening a can of worms with this question, but I'm going to buy a new helmet in the next week or two and would appreciate this board's expertise.

I plan to get a white one, assuming it will be some cooler. I also will only ride with full-face. And anything that is both DOT and Snell approved jumps to the top of the list.

I've heard the addage, "If you have a $60 head get a $60 helmet." OK, but it also seems obvious that helmets are like home stereo systems - you can spend as much as you want and, at some point, cross over the cost/benefit line.

Is there any reason to avoid an HJC? They seem to be the most reasonably priced and many models are Snell rated. If two HJC helmets are both Snell rated but priced as much as $100 apart, what are the advantages of the expensive one?

Also, any caveats about buying on-line? The local BMW dealer carries helmets way out of my price range so that's not under consideration. That is, I could go into one of the local chopper shops, try on an HJC and then order it on-line. (Wouldn't do that to our BMW dealer.)

Any other words of wisdom?

Try on different brands. Get the one that fits snug and comfortable. They are all different.

For me Shoei X-11's and RF1000's fit great. The RF is best bang for the buck, a bit quieter than the X-11. The X-11 flows more air, and has a higher quality lining. I have 1 of each, as well as an Arei Quantum-F. It fits very well, and breaths well, but it lets bugs and flying debris right up in front of my chin.

After wearing nothing but Shoei's for the past decade or more, I recently switched

to an Arai Quantum-F. I was able

to find a great deal on one since they are now replaced with

the Quantum-II. White is probably the most visible, but I

went with multi-colored, & dragons. I'm having another second childhood. grin.gif

If you do a search on this website I am sure you will find lots of great info. I have an HJC and a Arai Quantum-f, the wife and HJC and a Shoei 900. The advise mention so far is the most important - fit. You actually need to try them on - and not just for 60 seconds. The "fit" articles will tell you to put them on, then walk around the store and window shop for awhile. You may find that the HJC's fit you great. For me they are o.k., but the Arai fits much better, it's much lighter, and the air flow is better. I don't have the bugs on the chin problem mentioned earlier in this thread. For the wife, who has high cheek bones the Arai had some bad hot spots. But the Shoei fits her great. On short trips the HJC's are fine, but on long trips the Arai & Shoei are much better.

Let your head be the guide, both by thought process and fit/feel.

The difference is probably shell material, fiberglass composite vs. injection molded thermoplastic. Fiberglass is lighter. Also perhaps one helmet has the convenience of a removable liner for cleaning, which you pay for (the convenience that is). There was an article (maybe cycleworld or motorcyclists, not sure) about the difference between fiberglass vs thermoplastic, that upon impact, the helmets would "break" differently.

The analogy I think that would make this clear is the difference between an object hitting safety glass like a windshield, and the same object hitting a plate glass window - no big shards of glass vs. big shards of glass. That said, I have an HJC Symax that I find agreeable and also own an Icon full face for backup that fits my big round head well.

Check out the "Caberg Justissimo" flip-up, made in Italy and only sold in Europe. I've bought a few on www.ebay.de (Germany)Some vendors will ship worldwide. Expect to pay approx. 160-180 Euros + shipping. I truly enjoy mine.

Hi Craig, I ride with an HJC 3/4 helmet. I like it, it fits well, and the price is right. I don't like full face helmets. If you are going to the MOA rally, you will probably find a lot of deals.

Rob

Check out the "Caberg Justissimo" flip-up, made in Italy and only sold in Europe. I've bought a few on www.ebay.de (Germany)Some vendors will ship worldwide. Expect to pay approx. 160-180 Euros + shipping. I truly enjoy mine.

You can actually find them in the US now!

FWIW, I just sold my Schuberth after I failed to convince myself that if fit...it didn't. And it was noisy! Last Sunday morning, I put my old HJC AC11 on for a short ride. I marveled at well it fit and how quiet it was. Cool!

So, I realy like the AC11 and feel it's a very good value. The new Shoei TZ-R is on my list to try. Is reasonably priced and is of excellent quality. The Nolan N100 fit my head very well too. You might still find some of these around.

Like others have said, fit is everything. Expensive helmets don't mean much if they don't fit well and are a pain-you won't wear it. I just re-learned this expensive lesson.

Craig,

Besides BMW GR Shawmut Hills on Lake Michigan Drive at Collindale has a pretty good helmet selection and you may find a larger variety of price choices there. Give them a call.

As far as which is best I can't answer that. I had a Syncrotech (Shoei) and went to an Arai (love the light weight of it). I don't know what I will go to next. My cousin has a HJC flip up and loves it.

Dave

This is a great idea..., providing you can read German! grin.gif

Try Helmet City .

I just got a Shoei RF1000 from them. Low price, free UPS, came 48hrs after placing the order (CA to MI), and IN STOCK.

I knew my size as I was replacing a RF900,which I bought from a dealer...400 miles round-trip. It's tough finding a dealer north of the 45th parallel who stocks any selection of helmets. I bought the RF900 from the dealer after he lowered his price a bit. But my recent online purchase went fine. Good luck. thumbsup.gif

I have an ARAI full face helmet which I am very satisfied with, however, I've looked into getting another full face flip up helmet. The Schubert Helmet looks to be a fine helmet. It's pricey but then again it there to offer the best protection. thumbsup.gif

Steve_Witmer

A friend of mine just showed me the test comparoison in motorcyclist today. Based on g-forces imparted to the head, the Z1R they tested was a bargain at less than $100.

It had an interesting discussion of the benefits of Snell vs. other standards and fiberglas/carbon fiber/unobtanium vs. thermoplastic.

No argument with what has been said about fit. That $600 Arai Corsair is worth less than the $100 helmets if it is the wrong size or shape for your head. Get the best fitting helmet you can afford.

roadshadowww

I just read an article in one of the bike rags about helmets.

Arai is rated #1 by customers but HJC is the #1 selling helmet.

Personally I have 3 Schuberths and one new Arai QII. I love the flip-up but the Arai is much much quieter and fits better.

I just won this brand new helmet on Ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7985949103

Brand new, Arai Quantum / F $212

I'm happy.

You did a bit better than I did. Just got a new Shoei RF1000 Silver for $224 thru Ebay. Local dealer had one for $399 (ouch!) Been trying on helmets for a while now and this one fit my noggin the best. Excellent fit right out of the box. I LOVE the light weight, lack of noise, and excellent ventilation. I had to close the front vents yesterday morning because it was making my head chilly. It doesn't pin my ears back or interfere with my ear plugs either. The only thing I'll miss about my other helmet is the flip front. I'll gladly trade that feature for all the benefits of the RF1000.

DangerMoney

The manufacturers of less-expensive helmets are typically use one same-size, same-shape shell. They put different amounts of padding inside to create different sizes. If you have a small head you can end up looking like you're wearing a space helmet because all the shells are made for XXL heads. Since the shells are all the same *shape* the only way to alleviate hot spots is to buy a bigger helmet = looser fit (not good).

The manufacturers expensive helmets such as Arai create different *size* shells and different *shaped* shells. The cost of manufacturing multiple shells contributes to the price delta. Maybe that's what's going on with the $100 HJC delta.

If you buy an Arai you have to get the right shape as well as size. They have 3 different shell shapes.

I have a new HJC flipup and am very pleased so far. You should seriously consider a flip up as an alternate to full face. I had a full face in the 80's then went to open face to talk to SWMBO more easily. The flip face allows easy on with eyeglasses, face to face at gas ups w/o taking off the helmet and (most) of the protection of a full face ( I realize the chinbar is not padded so there is some greater risk of front face injury in this model).

The fact this is DOT and not Snell is a plus IMHO. The artical I read recently about Snell was pretty convincing that the helmets are super stiff for 100+ mph racer collisions and that for most everyday riding they are infact too resiliant and don't crush enough to protect your head in lower (ie more normal) g force impacts. (This comment will probably raise a rucus on the board! eek.gif

Anyway I agree with the other comments about fit. I bought one from a dealer and wore it around the house for an hour or so when I could still exchange for a store credit. When SWMBO + my daughters tried it and found the fit OK then I ordered a 2nd over ebay for $60 less.

Good luck with your purchase!

About your color choice. Get white if you like white. But is won't be any cooler on the inside of the helmet. Some time back Motorcycle Consumer News did a test of helmets of various colors. Big difference on the outside. No difference on the inside. It's all that stuff that protects your grey matter that doesn't transfer heat. If you want cool, make sure you get good venting.

celebrationrev

I ended up buying a Scorpion EXO400 from the local BMW dealer. I wore it for 10+ minutes in the store. Actually wore a L first and then an XL which didn't press my forehead but was appropriately tight around my cheeks. (I have a long, narrow head.)

It's a full-face (my definition of ATGATT), has a removable liner, is DOT and Snell approved and cost $129. I added a tinted visor for another $34 or so.

Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to ride-test it yet due to schedule and weather issues. I'm hoping it's quieter than my HJC.

Had I not been able to get a good fit in a reasonably priced helmet I would have spent the several hundred dollars it costs for an Arai or Shoei. But I'm a man on a budget and need to consider cost. It's not the first criterion, but it is a factor, all other things being equal.

Two side notes: I couldn't get the HJC flip-up to go on over my glasses.

Also, while at the dealer shopping for the helmet I overheard a salesman explain to a customer looking for mesh riding pants that they didn't carry BMWGear because the cost/value ration was all wrong. Too expensive, you have to buy the liners seperately, and you could get an equivalent pant by purchasing one of the brands they carry which cost significantly less. You may or may not agree with that assessment of BMW Gear, but I was encouraged to learn my local dealer cares enough about his customers to make a decision like that. Blaine's a good guy.

Archived