IGNORED

Need Tires - Again

Hardrider

Although I really like the Met Z6, I am getting less than 4000 miles rear. I absolutely DO NOT want to sacrifice handling one iota, but am interested in learning more about the competition.

Does anyone have experience with the Avon's or Cortis as compared to the Z6? Other recommendations?

For those Arizona riders, I run the high speed corners on the B-line (two up) at 115-120; I have ran Salt River from Globe to Showlow (87 miles) in 55 minutes; and I typically run the Prescott and Jerome corners (posted 15 to 30) at 45 to 70 (except for the one hairpin (posted 10) which makes me drop to about 38). When I ride flat roads, I usually run 100+.

When making recommendations, please consider how you ride and give me a comparison.

Paul Mihalka

The way you describe your riding style, I don't think you will find any high performance sports tire that will last you more than 4000 miles.

russell_bynum

Which bike? Your profile says you've got a Harley and an FJR.

I haven't run a Z6 yet, but I burned up quite a few Z4's with similar results as what you saw.

Try the Pilot Road. I get 8-10K out of them and there's plenty of grip.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

I have a good nod towards the Avon Azaros...but only in dry weather. Arizona sounds pretty darn dry! I used them on a track day...air temps were over 90. They gave ample feedback and never failed to stick like glue, regardless of speed or lean angle. I used them afterwards for commuting here in the PNW. I hated them in the wet, but still got 10,000 miles on the rear and an amazing 16,000+ miles on the front. YMMV! smile.gif

I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again...if I was just using them for track work or a summer SW tour. I have been pleased to buy two sets of Pilot Roads and will again.

I'm a fairly aggressive rider who regularly tops 100mph. Good luck!

Sorry, I had not updated my profile. I currently have 3 bikes: 2005 K1200S (the Bumblebee), 2004 FJR 1300 and an 03 K1200 RS. I am running thru tires on the RS as I use it for my two-up riding with the Mrs. However, I also run the Z6 on the FJR too.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Which bike? Your profile says you've got a Harley and an FJR.

I'd be impressed if I ever saw a Harley running that hard... crazy.gif

I have a BMW R1200ST and live up in Show Low. I have used most of the popular tires an my R1150R and now R1200ST, still have the Roadster. Currently, the Pilot Roads seem the best for my purposes, get them from Swmototires now down in Tuscon. I would suggest that my riding is very similar to yours, my R1150R has been breathed on by San Jose BMW, etc. I can get prolly 6-6,500 miles on a rear 180 Pilot Road on the ST except when I run across Nevada, then 5,000 miles.

roadshadowww

I don't ride any where near those speeds but never have been a big fan of the Z6 after last years poor showing by that tire on my RT during a very hot 4 week trip out west. During the trip I switched to Pilot Roads and continue to be much happier with them.

One note:

Riding that bike (the K-S)with it's heavy BHP/TQ, under those conditions(speeds), I'd have to agree with many here...I'd not expect great mileage out of any rear tire.

Your soft stock rear tire must have been a goner in what.....1,800-2,000 miles???

Generally, the lighter, sportier crowd of bike owners rave about the Avon Azaro AV45ST front and AV46ST rear. They're the cat's meow on the FJR. And I've also personally experienced their wonder on the VFR, SV650, and R1150RT in the dry, and the FJR and K1200RS in both wet and dry.

The FJR power and weight are much like the K1200S. While the Z4 rear yields 6,000 miles or a little less for me on the FJR and the K1200RS, the Azaros yield 8,500 miles. That's astounding condsidering the high speeds I ride at, and how hot my normal environment is.

That said, I use Pilot Roads on my K1200RS because I like the additional stability they usually give my bike. For some reason, perhaps Laney's choice of windshield and laminar lip that's on my bike, it has recently developed a lot of front wheel hunting, and "The Wiggle", even at moderate speeds with bag and E50 GiVi in place. Didn't notice that with a different windshield combo before. Anyway, the Pilot Road rear also lasts about 8,500 miles for me.

Unlike Weiner_Steve, I have The Ulitimate Level Of Praise for the Azaros wet weather behavior, having ridden about 12,000 miles in the rain this past Winter, and perhaps 2,000 miles before that.

However, I did learn something about rain riding with them. No endorsement of behavior here!!! Up above Cody, on the Chief Joseph Highway, which had recently been paved, I had led a group up to Custer Battlefield and back. On the way back, we encountered showers on the CJH. "Looking For The Traction Limit", as I exhort Riders to do, the Azaros on the K1200RS didn't show signs of slippage when I reached the speed that challenged the tire manufacturer's "80% traction" speed. I pressed, and pressed, and pressed. Finally, I slightly exceeded my personal dry surface limit speed for those corners, and straight-line and leaned braking and the tires were still holding. Along with Russell, and somewhat with Laney, I built the assumption/deduction that particular surface yielded more traction than experts would ever expect.

Conversely, I can gauge other road surfaces might not match up with a specific tire model's construction, tread pattern and compound nearly as well. I did notice the Azaros seemed slicker than Z4's and Pilot Roads on wet tar snakes and patches that use that same material up in the Torrey, UT area. However, and this is my big point, I didn't do back-to-back in the exactly same conditions. Without that exact test, I'm not willing to state a superiority, or even rate a tire.

Like Steve, I've made my choice -- about wet weather performance -- based upon how things are working out for me. At home, and all across the country, I've never been disappointed in the Azaros' performance wet or dry.

If you try the Azaros, please let us know what you find.

Best wishes.

"I absolutely DO NOT want to sacrifice handling one iota"

A few words about the Pilot Roads. This used to be my tire of choice. I routinely got 6-7K out of them and coming from the Metzler Z-4 I thought their handling and turn in were good. I expecially like the way they stuck in the wet.

As my riding skills or lack of self restraint changed I started to notice their limitations.

I put on a new set of Pilot Roads last Memorial day and headed to Las Vegas for a week long medical conference. The day I arrived so did the heat. I soon learned that 110 degree heat makes the city streets a little slick. Every time I took off from a stoplight to turn left I could spin up the rear and hook a hard left in the intersection. A little practice and I could do it without scaring myself.

Twice that week I rode up to Panguitch and Capital Reef areas for lunch. On the sweepers in the area the tires behaved well. I love the way they feel stable when leaned way over in fast sweepers. But when I hit some of the switchbacks and got aggressive with the throttle I was spinning up the rear again. The temps up there were in the 70s.

Fast forward 2 months later and I'm riding behind a guy on a Tuono in the San Jose mountains area. A backwoods goat trail with no centerline and poor quality pavement. Again I was spinning up the rear on corner exits. It sometimes helped me tighten up the lines and stay with the Tuono, but that's not my favorite way to get through a corner quickly.

After 3K miles they just didn't seem to stick well enough for me to ride like I wanted to. I still got 5.5K out of that last set but didn't really enjoy them anymore.

I switched to Pirrelli Diablos after that. Turn in is a little quicker. Stick as well in the wet. I have had to work the bike very hard to get the rear to break loose.

You sound like you ride mostly highspeed sweepers and if that's it then you might like the P. Roads just fine. The Avons also would be a good choice.

For a little more stick in the tight stuff when you're really throwing the bike around and hard on the throttle the Diablos are the t!ts! You won't get more than 4K out of them, but you will love their ability to keep the bike rubber side down.

On the Z6, are you using the "B" rear tire specified for the KRS and the KGT? The B is more suited for the KRS/KGT.

Just noticed the latest Parts Unlimited catalog now lists a specific Metzeler M1 tire for the K1200S

"front wheel hunting, and "The Wiggle", even at moderate speeds with bag and E50 GiVi in place"

My big Givi trunk causes stability problems above 75mph with any windshield. No other combo of luggage, including all four H2W bags has the same screwball effect as my Givi E52.

I ride the same roads at the same speeds on my 02 KRS. I am on my 2nd set of Metz 880's. Not the recommended tire, but I like the mileage. Cant have it all!

Kevin

aVON aZARO..45/46 -- note I just changed out my front for a new one...I had +10500 miles on her and had more to go...& I ride very fast also.

Avons Only For Me, thanks!!

Archived