IGNORED

New R 1200 RT Problem

Lightspeed

Hello to all, Two weeks ago I traded my beloved HD Electra Glide in on a new R 1200 RT. Never had a lick of trouble with it I just got to the point that the HD did not provide the performance I wanted. The new RT pings in low RPM's <3000 under load but clears up as the rpms increase. Rough Idle when cold including a bit of a clunking noise when it misses however that does clear up as the bike warms. The pinging noise does not clear up but is ever present during moderate to hard acceleration. I realize that this thing has 12/1 compression ratio and a couple BWM friends say doen't worry about it but I am unconvinced this is what BMW intends. The bike has not yet had it's 600 mile service because of scheduleing problems with the dealer but this is not valve noise so I am not optomistic that a valve adjust will help. It now has 900 miles on it and I have stopped driving it until I get it in for service next week.. I love the handleing and comfort but I am dissapointed in the fact that the bike pings. I use nothing but 93 octane fuel so the problem does not seem to be fuel related. I want my Harley back!! confused.gif

Pinging is not normal. I don't even get pinging (normal riding) with regular gas in my 1150RT. I occasionally get pinging under heavy load at higher RPMs on long trips when it's hot out, but that's all. Others have reported some pinging at higher mileage due to carbon buildup, but it doesn't seem to be a widespread problem.

Maybe somebody else here can suggest what your problem might be. Could you have gotten a tank of bad gas?

I thnk you are lugging the engine. I just had the break-in service, and the first thing the service tech told me was to keep the revs up and never shift lower than 4000 rpm. If you are making a demand on the engine at 3000rpm, you are probably overloading it. I'm no mechanic, but that's my guess.

AdventurePoser
I am dissapointed in the fact that the bike pings. I use nothing but 93 octane fuel so the problem does not seem to be fuel related. I want my Harley back!! confused.gif

Wait a minute...you've only got 900 miles on it and you want your Harley back!? Sounds to me like a tank of bad gas and/or you are lugging the engine.

Try a fresh tank, and keep the revs up, and see what happens. If you are still disgusted, PM me. I'll give you $500 for it, AND I'll even come out and pick it up! grin.gif

Good luck,

Steve, pingless in Cali

I'd keep some faith until after the service. Mine had a strong vibration (more than normal for a boxer) at lower and especially higher RPMs. They synchronized the throttle body or something like that and it smoothed out tremendously. I don't have any pinging, even at lower RPMs and I burn 91 octane. Runs smooth and sounds good. Sounds like there is something wrong. Don't let the dealer try and "sell you" on pinging as being normal. Mine only has 750 miles on it now so it has even less than yours. Hope this helps.

Good luck,

I purposely put 87 octane in mine to see if it knocked or pinged under a load. It did when I lugged it under a load, BUT I had to make it happen. I’d get it to the shop cause yours is not right. I always run the highest octane I can find. The best part is mine will also do 2nd gear wheelies fairly easy too. Freaks the sport bike guys out. I like it! cool.gif

Hey, I thought that the R12's had knock sensors to retard the timing if spark knock was present.

Am I mistaken?

Possible, maybe I'm so used to the HD low end torque that I'm not getting my rev's up. the pinging does diminish above 3K rpm so maybe you have a point. I'll have the service performed and then see how it sounds. It does come on like a frieght train around 6k. As some others have suggested maybe bad gas, I have only filled three times and that was the same station twice. Ok I won't throw in the towel yet. thumbsup.gif

No you are correct, the 1200RT has knock sensors. However I suspect that one of the sensors could be bad or the retarding might not be working properly. Just don't know.

...maybe I'm so used to the HD low end torque that I'm not getting my rev's up.

Don't know if this is the issue or not, but the RT is certainly no tractor. It is a different kind of bike from the HD and has a different set of rewards from riding it the way it likes.

Keep it over 3K and cruise around 4-5K, your RT will thank you and you'll get used to it. It will seem natural (and rewarding) after the miles pass.

Ken is right on here. Your HD hits the rev limiter at 5200 rpm and the RT is just getting happy there. It will seem strange at first but you will adapt. I did.

Are you shure that the noise you are hearing is pinning?

I had the same feeling when I rode my 12RT and asked the mechanic at BMW dealer.

He told me not to expect the same noise of my former GSA1150, that the RT12 had a very different exhaust system with an extra cannister and a catalytic conv. that made me hear a roaring noise at the first 1,500 rpm on every gear.

So maybe it could be the same and just a small confusion.

Check it and see if this helps.

MoroCycler

Yup I'm sure of the sound. The Pinging, knocking, or pre-detonation is a very distinct sound and nothing else sounds like it. I am very fimiliar with it as I have a lot of high compression engine experience in my backround. However, I don't know much about the piticulars of the Boxer engine. I am now leaning toward a bad tank of gas or a bad knock sensor. I can pump the tank out and start again and next week I will have it in for its first service. Hopefully that will put an end to it. Thanks for the suggestion.

No such problem with my new RT. 490 miles without a hitch. The only compliant is poor AM reception on the radio. That's it. Just about the perfect ride. From a long term H-D owner and former R1100S rider. Check with the dealer and get the problem corrected. Cheers

I am now leaning toward a bad tank of gas or a bad knock sensor.
Even if you have "bad gas" the new R1200s should not ping except for the instant prior to the computer retarding the ignition. I have lugged my RT with mid-grade fuel here in the heat of Texas and it does not ping, ever. The one true way to see if it's pinging as much as it seems to be is to inspect the spark plugs. If your bike is truely pinging the dealer should be able to detect and fix it. Also, MoDiTech should tell them right off the bad if the knocks sensors are working. I would not drain the tank. I would take my bike to the dealer ASAP if it was pinging.

http://www.verrill.com/moto/sellingguide/sparkplugs/plugcolorchart.htm

I would ride it as little as possible until you can get it to the dealer. Something is definitely wrong and you don't want to chance damaging the cylinders. Just MHO.

...Also, MoDiTech should tell them right off the bad if the knocks sensors are working....

MoDiTec was replaced by the Group Tester One (GT1).

That bike hates being ridden below 3K. It's happiest above 4.

Ride it up there and your "problem" will magically go away. HDs like the low revs, but boxers like to be spun. Just like you wouldn't ride around on an HD at 4500 rpms, your boxer doesn't like to be run around under heavy load at <3K.

You know... you're right. What's up with that? Maybe a faulty knock sensor?
Knock sensors won't necessarily eliminate all pinging. All they can do is retard the ignition timing somewhat in an attempt to control detonation, and within certain limits they are quite effective. Go beyond those limits though (octane way too low, engine load way too high for a given speed, etc.) to the point where retarding the spark a bit isn't enough and the engine will still ping, knock sensor or not.

Archived